2»

Comments

• alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,364
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 14 June 2017 at 6:13PM
    Ganga wrote: »
    Is the pound not up on the Dollar since last year?

$1.49 - £1 this time last year
    $1.28 - £1 today

US has just put interest rates up which normally means the dollar rises against other currency
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 14 June 2017 at 7:41PM
    Maybe it's just flights from UK.
    Met a couple in Bolgna a few days ago and he said he had flown there from Eindhoven for Euro 15.

Now I was so gobsmacked that I didn't ask if that was return or included tax etc etc because our flight from Bristol to Pisa was £200 pp return all in iirc. I don't think he was BS ing me either. No reason for it.

Also just been to Lerici for the day and the beaches there were as packed as those in UK used to be 60 years ago.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,903
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    slinga wrote: »
    Maybe it's just flights from UK.
    Met a couple in Bolgna a few days ago and he said he had flown there from Eindhoven for Euro 15.

Now I was so gobsmacked that I didn't ask if that was return or included tax etc etc because our flight from Bristol to Pisa was £200 pp return all in iirc. I don't think he was BS ing me either. No reason for it.

Also just been to Lerici for the day and the beaches there were as packed as those in UK used to be 60 years ago.

There has been no change in Euro to Euro! Netherlands to Italy.

It is GBP£ that has lost value against the USD$, EUR€ ( to a lesser degree) and other currencies.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It's plain and simple, holiday companies are charging more because they can. They're using Brexit as an excuse, it's certainly no reason for holidays to Europe to be more expensive, the £ roughly is the same against the Euro as it was between 2009 - 2014, it was only in 2015 that exchanged rates artificially rose.

Independent travellers can still manage to get holidays at around the same price, but those who wish to use tour operators are being ripped off because the TO's know they can get away with is.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904
    First Post
    Forumite
    Given that holidays are a luxury, holiday companies will hopefully have shot themselves in the foot as people simply won't go away. Then there will be a glut off holidays which will have to be sold of cheaply ;)
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Teahfc wrote: »
    We are not leaving Europe ! Europe is a continent! We have voted as a nation to leave the EU single market.

No, we've voted to leave the EU not necessarily the single market.

It is possible to be outside the EU and still in the single market like Norway and Switzerland. The so-called soft brexit.

Not trying to be pedantic, it is an important distinction.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    It's plain and simple, holiday companies are charging more because they can. They're using Brexit as an excuse, it's certainly no reason for holidays to Europe to be more expensive, the £ roughly is the same against the Euro as it was between 2009 - 2014, it was only in 2015 that exchanged rates artificially rose.

Independent travellers can still manage to get holidays at around the same price, but those who wish to use tour operators are being ripped off because the TO's know they can get away with is.

Totally agree. We are having the same holiday as last year but without spending more. Main difference this year though is cutting out the middle man a bit. Booked flights directly, booked accommodation directly with the hotel, arranged transfer locally via the helpful hotel people.

The only reason its not actually worked out a lot cheaper was it was a later decision to go so flights had started to rise. If we had booked as early as we usually do we would have saved a lot.

One caveat is of course buyer beware, the place we are staying we know and have experience of, I trust them fully. Also expenditure will be dearer on holiday due to the poor exchange rates, that could have been averted a lot if I had clicked 'buy Euro' on the app a minute before that damn exit poll was published!
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Westin wrote: »
    There has been no change in Euro to Euro! Netherlands to Italy.

It is GBP£ that has lost value against the USD$, EUR€ ( to a lesser degree) and other currencies.
    Ehh??

That's not what I was saying.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,392
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Teahfc wrote: »
    We are not leaving Europe ! Europe is a continent! We have voted as a nation to leave the EU single market. If we leave Europe where do you suggest we go ? North America?

Did that make you feel better? :cool:
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure