Deed poll not 'official' enough - help?

Options
Hey! I'm totally new to this forum but you guys seem like the ones to talk to about this so here goes. I legally changed my first and middle name about 4 months ago using a free deed poll I wrote up myself. It's signed by me, witnessed by someone I know and the bank has accepted it so I know I wrote it up right. Except my GP refuses to accept it.

Apparently because 'anyone could type it up' (which is kinda the whole point of a free deed poll right?) it isn't official enough for them to accept it and change my name on their records. I really don't want to spend money on a fancier one just in case they reject that too and I'm sure that my current deed poll is already valid in the eyes of the law, so I don't know what to do.

Should I find a solicitor and pay for them to certify it? Or just pay for a cheap deed poll online that will look more official than my signed print out?

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Use your original name with them?
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    aran13 wrote: »
    Hey! I'm totally new to this forum but you guys seem like the ones to talk to about this so here goes. I legally changed my first and middle name about 4 months ago using a free deed poll I wrote up myself. It's signed by me, witnessed by someone I know and the bank has accepted it so I know I wrote it up right. Except my GP refuses to accept it.

Apparently because 'anyone could type it up' (which is kinda the whole point of a free deed poll right?) it isn't official enough for them to accept it and change my name on their records. I really don't want to spend money on a fancier one just in case they reject that too and I'm sure that my current deed poll is already valid in the eyes of the law, so I don't know what to do.

Should I find a solicitor and pay for them to certify it? Or just pay for a cheap deed poll online that will look more official than my signed print out?

If you're not in Scotland (deed polls don't exist in Scotland) just write your GP a letter explaining that you've changed your name from X to Y and enclose a copy of your deed poll and a bank statement.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're quite right, what you have is adequate in the eye of the law, there is absolutely no need to pay for a 'fancy' deed poll.

Could you wait until you have told HMRC or have your passport or driving licence in your new name then use that for the GP?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll/enrol-a-deed-poll-with-the-courts

It seems odd that you can change your name on government issued documentation, such as a passport or driving licence, using a deed poll you've made yourself; yet other organisations will only accept an enrolled deed poll.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    AFAIK and understand you can call yourself anything without the need of a deed poll ( as long as it's not to commit fraud).

My first forename has never been used and I'm not known by it anywhere. All official and other documentation has my preferred second forename showing, the other doesn't even get a mention.
  • wacko911
    Options
    Just print it on fancy yellow parchment paper. Looks like a certificate then. Even the 'wax' stamp on mine looks genuine when printed on fancy paper.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Did you speak to the practice manger?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My maternal grandfather was always known by his second forename, his death certificate even showed "B A Smith" instead of "A B Smith". So much for official documentation!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • KILL_BILL
    KILL_BILL Posts: 2,183 Forumite
    Options
    You have been given incorrect details by the doctors surgery.

Speak to the practice manager rather than the receiptionist as they dont have clue

Last year changed names and the only problem I had was with barclaycard who said deep poll had to be notarised - i complained and they conceded that their member of staff was wrong and paid compensation for the hassle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure