Specsavers contact lenses complaint

Hi all,

I was due to receive my quarterly contact lenses from Specsavers in July, which weren't delivered. Having contacted Lensemail, they have said it is up to the store to offer a discretionary refund/re-delivery as it is outside "the 30 day window" in which they are supposed to do so. Having gone backwards and forwards with them, they have refused to provide a refund or re-delivery and simply said the 30 day is within their "policy". Having pressed them for a copy of the contract in which these terms were agreed, they have not provided it. They are not in any position to provide evidence that I agreed to these 30 day terms, so it seems unusual they are using this as a way of not offering a refund or re-delivery.

Does anyone have any other advice other than writing to the Optical Consumer Complaints Service?

3 months payments for contact lenses is a lot of money to not receive any! There was no proof of delivery, no signature from a neighbour so they clearly weren't delivered. Seems unreasonable that they should be entitled to keep the money when no product has changed hands.

Thanks!

Comments

• I don't understand why the store are not sorting it out for you?

I suggest go in and speak to them. Specsavers stores are normally set up as individual companies so I presume the contract is with the store rather than lensmail ? ( I may be wrong )
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'd go back to lensmail and state either they sort it or the complaint goes to the consumer council. And you'll reclaim your monies spent on the lenses not received
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    They don't need a signature when they are delivered, they are in letterbox friendly boxes so should go through most without a problem. Both OH, BIL and SIL all get them delivered, they live a few doors away from us and have a really small letterbox so our postie delivers all three to our house (at BIL and SIL request, we are their nominated neighbour) and they have never needed a signature and nothing on the box to suggest they do.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    I expect the issue here is that OP took so long to report they had not turned up. How long was it before you reported it?
    pmduk wrote: »
    I'd go back to lensmail and state either they sort it or the complaint goes to the consumer council. And you'll reclaim your monies spent on the lenses not received

The Consumer Council only cover NI.
  • The Director of the store is stating that he has been advised by head office not to refund or re-deliver the lenses. You'd think the number of years I've been with Specsavers they'd want to retain my custom.

Specsavers are also aware that I don't live in a property with a "contact lense friendly" post box, hence they should be delivered and signed for to confirm receipt.

The contact lenses supplier simply refers us back to the store, who are completely unwilling to resolve the issue.
  • I've gone in and spoken to them, they've fobbed me off and said I need to speak to the Director, but wouldn't confirm when he was available without physically going into store and checking the rota. He then got an assistant to call me and fob me off and after I insisted I spoke to him directly he fobbed me off based on this "30 day policy" and that I should speak to head office. Ultimately he was not willing to offer a refund or re-delivery of the goods, even if head office were willing to do so. Felt like more of a personal attack for taking up his time. Just feels like they'd rather steal from their customers rather than retain them!
  • Yeah so lensmail is saying the contract is with the individual store. However the individual store are stating this 30 day policy that has never been communicated and that they won't offer a refund or redelivery. Even after being a customer for years! Very frustrating! Thanks for your message!
  • In that case I would not overcomplicate things and raise a complaint with the bank and tell them you have not recived the goods and proceed down that route.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Make sure all your friends/neighbours/colleagues etc know not to deal with that branch of Specsavers.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    We still don't know how long it took to notify the retailer that they had not turned up. If she did leave it two months then the retailer may well assume she is trying to pull a fast one. What have you been using in the meantime?

(I'm not suggesting that, just looking at it from the retailer's point of view.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure