Ofcom’s apathetic stance on DSL SNR margin

2»

Comments

• DonnyDave
    DonnyDave Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Following the guidance here under the heading You can tweak some Broadcom-based routers using telnet I have now managed to adjust the SNR margin on my connection.

My router is a USRobotics USR9108 and is over 10 years old. Granted, if I power it down it will forget it and will therefore need reprogramming, but I am pleased to have a rate of 12203k and margin of 1.8dB. Speedtest.net just returned a result of 10.54M!

I will see how it goes, obviously, noting whether there are errors that might suggest an increase in margin would be worthwhile.

What about the upstream margin? Is it possible to adjust that? I guess maybe not as it's the receiving end that determines the SNR and that is obviously the exchange end.
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    As far as I know you canmt adjust the upstream noise margin.

What sort of upstream connection rate you getting?

Even on my long line I get around 800kbps sync upstream.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It would be too confusing for most people, estimating a speed is seen as reasonable tho.

With FTTC services openreach are currently rolling out lower SNR margins to their hauwei cabinets, no plan in place for ECI cabinets tho as those cabinets are still waiting for G.INP which is likely required to be working before lower SNR margins come.

Every single isp selling FTTC uses openreach FTTC so would all be the same in that respect.
  • DonnyDave
    lee111s wrote: »
    As far as I know you canmt adjust the upstream noise margin.

What sort of upstream connection rate you getting?

Even on my long line I get around 800kbps sync upstream.
    Upstream it syncs reliably at 1019k. At the present moment the SNR margin on that is 10.7dB.
  • lee111s
    You won't get much better than that anyway.

Max is 1152 if I'm not mistaken.
  • DonnyDave
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    With FTTC services openreach are currently rolling out lower SNR margins to their hauwei cabinets, no plan in place for ECI cabinets tho as those cabinets are still waiting for G.INP which is likely required to be working before lower SNR margins come.

Every single isp selling FTTC uses openreach FTTC so would all be the same in that respect.
    I was wondering about FTTC VDSL. From what little I've read G.INP is the buzzword.

But VDSL still has an SNR margin so isn't it possible for the savvy user to drive it down in order to get faster sync speeds?

I suppose the issues that result in errors on VDSL are greater as it is more complex and utilises frequencies that go higher than ADSL.
  • DonnyDave
    Is there a guide somewhere that explains what the entries in the router's System Log mean?

One says:

syslog: proxy.c:211 INFO:Outgoing Call from: 12@89.163.146.196

What does this mean?
  • lee111s
    You'd need to check with the router manufacturer as every router will report differently on the logs.

As for FTTC, Openreach have built something into the DSLAM that prevents the router setting the target margin.
  • DonnyDave
    lee111s wrote: »
    As for FTTC, Openreach have built something into the DSLAM that prevents the router setting the target margin.
    Is it something the ISPs don't like? Is it best not to mention it to them?
  • lee111s
    It has nothing to do with the ISP's, they don't have a say.

For FTTC, the whole network from the customers socket right up to the handover point on the layer2switch in the exhange is Openreach owned and maintained.

As to whether ISP's don't like it on their ADSL connections.... It's not something I'd advise discussing with them :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure