Got flashed on the Bristol motorway :(

rebecca91
rebecca91 Posts: 40 Forumite
edited 19 June 2017 at 11:39AM in Motoring
Hi all,

I did it. I finally after years of driving didnt pay attention and got flashed by a variable speed cam -.-

Was 50 for a while, then dropped to 40, however I didn't notice this until I was nearly under it.
I was going around 48 i'd say. But it flashed, 100% flashed me.

Buuut....Ive waited 2 weeks now (17 days infact) and had nothing through?

Car is registered at the address, nothing out of the normal here.
Do they sometimes flash and not give out a ticket then?

I dont want to say 'I got away with it' because it was silly of me to have sped through, it happened and I have to face upto that, but interested if they always ticket when flash?

Regards,
:)

Also a little site note, have owned the car for years

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    They have 14 days to serve a nip of the registered keeper.

If you've owned the car for some time then it looks like you've been lucky.
  • rebecca91
    Thanks :) Thats good to know. A rough 2 weeks waiting! So suppose the flash in itself was a good deterrent!

I honestly would have thought every flash on a variable is an automatic ticket for you. Weird they dont always give them
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I think this set of variable speed cameras are nothing short of fraudulent to be honest. The gaps and the way they are up and then up / drop the speed in the space of such short distance is just nothing short of a money making scheme.

I have been flashed twice in exactly the same way as you.

What I can confirm is that they are swift with their letter sending and requesting the fine !.

I have a variety of cars and have been caught twice in the same car !.
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    BTW , you are almost guaranteed to get done !! 2 flashes 2 fines
  • rebecca91
    Weird! Its been 17 days so I assume maybe they got the car next to me and not me?
    If they dont send out a fine (Or havnt I should say) then its a really odd one!

Friends have been told they got flashed here and got a letter within 3 days.

Maybe I was just lucky, there was spray on the road so hopefully it just didnt get a picture
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    caprikid1 wrote: »
    BTW , you are almost guaranteed to get done !! 2 flashes 2 fines

Well that's not true.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I understand that on that section (and possibly all managed motorways), if you are caught within one minute of the speed being reduced, they do not prosecute unless you were over the prosecution threshold for the previous limit. I can't remember where I read that, but if it had recently changed you could have been lucky.

I drive that area every day and quite often approaching the interchange from the south on the M5 it drops from 60 down to 40 approaching the A38 turning, I've seen the signs flicker and change there several times as the evening rush starts to build.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    I thought you were going to tell us about a flasher in a mac showing you his bits. :rotfl:

That reminds me of the time I was driving home late one evening in the dark with my wife.

We were about a mile from home, driving along a 40mph single carriageway when I saw two men up ahead. One was stark naked, with a full on erection, masturbating himself in the middle of the road. :eek:

I had to swerve slightly to avoid hitting him.

'Did you see that' I said to my wife, unsure that my eyes were not playing tricks.

'Yes, I did' she said.

I suppose he was either high on something, mentally ill or some sort of thrill seeker.

The other man was clothed and at the side of the road.
  • elverson
    elverson Posts: 808 Forumite
    If your speedo said 48mph your actual speed is a bit lower, and you could have been within the margin of error for the 40mph limit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice/the-truth-about-speeding-fines/
  • rebecca91
    That still wouldnt take into account why I got flashed though I feel?
    Thanks for replies so far all :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport