PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does anyone else make their own clothes

Comments

• Mariel
    Mariel Posts: 624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Metherer - don't know if this will be of any help but have you got any old clothes you could unpick and use as a pattern (maybe adding a bit for seam allowance as bought stuff doesn't have much of one), you could always add a bit of length where necessary or alter a leg shape a bit or something. I have a trouser pattern I use a lot and just draw the leg shape either on the pattern line or I can cut it wider for flares.
  • Sexy_Em
    Sexy_Em Posts: 524 Forumite
    I jus wanted to let people know that Abakhan has an online shop

http://www.abakhan-onlineshop.co.uk/

Does anyone have any advice for buying a sewing machine?
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I hope this thread will "take off" like the knitting one! I too made clothes as a teenager, then my wedding dress and bridesmaids' dresses too. My sons had homemade shirts, trousers and pyjamas, my DH has HM nightshirts. In recent years I've had less time, but one of my great plans for retirement next year is to do loads more dressmaking. More recently I've made clothes for DGS - they're quick as she's only 14 months old! Oh and yes, I'm a tall one too - and rather too well padded these days!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • I've got 2 books out from the library at the the moment, one's called 'Yeah, I made it myself' by Ethne Farry and the other's called 'Bend the rules of sewing' by Amy Karol. I've had them for ages and keep renewing them because I'm too stingy to go and buy them!

They've both got lots of ideas with easy projects, they don't cover lots in the way of techniques, but everything's quite self explanatory. I'm going to attempt a easy shift type dress from the first one, and have already made the little toddler jacket from the second. Amy Karol has a group on flickr with loads of pictures of things that people have made from her book http://www.flickr.com/groups/340229@N25/pool/

They're both quite modern books, with things that I actually want to make!

I wouldn't say I'm a beginner sewer (is that a word??) have attempted more complex things such as making my sisters (medieval style) bridesmaid dress for our wedding, but I think I lack confidence in trying things, and would love to be able ask somebody when I get stuck, my mum hates sewing and would rather throw something than sew a button on!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bend-Rules-Sewing-Essential-Guide/dp/0307347214/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1200926318&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yeah-Made-Myself-Fashion-Domestic/dp/0297851179/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1200927134&sr=8-1
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Sexy_Em wrote: »
    I jus wanted to let people know that Abakhan has an online shop

http://www.abakhan-onlineshop.co.uk/

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO :eek: *shuts eyes*...................

I'm just starting to conquer a 20 year stash of fabrics must resist :o:o
  • Sexy_Em
    lol, sorry!!

I have been thinking, and you know I think that those of you who are really good at this clothes making could make some money from it.

I would love to be able to have custom clothes, but don't have the skills to do it. I'd also love to have fitted shirts that don't gape round the bust, but never seem to be able to find anything flattering.

I would actually pay somebody to measure me up and fit me out with exactly what I want

If anybody is in Leicestershire and fancies the challenge then let me know :-)

x
  • Sexy_Em wrote: »
    lol, sorry!!

I have been thinking, and you know I think that those of you who are really good at this clothes making could make some money from it.

I would love to be able to have custom clothes, but don't have the skills to do it. I'd also love to have fitted shirts that don't gape round the bust, but never seem to be able to find anything flattering.

I would actually pay somebody to measure me up and fit me out with exactly what I want

If anybody is in Leicestershire and fancies the challenge then let me know :-)

x

I'm in Essex so it counts me out but I doubt that much money can be made from sewing these days. It is so cheap to go and buy things that people are just not prepared to pay the going rate for made to measure. When you think about it working for minimum wage adds £5+ per hour and how long it takes to make a good professional job of something. I did try many years ago and people would buy the cheapest fabric possible and then expect you to produce a wonderful dress from it. I moved on to wedding dresses but even then for the time involved there was hardly any profit to be made.Now I only make for family and friends when I choose to donate my time.
    True wealth lies in contentment - not cash. Dollydaydream 2006
  • Sexy_Em
    I do understand what you are saying. I've had a look on internet and you're looking at about £100 to have a shirt made to measure which is ridiculous.

Maybe I just ought to try and loose the boobs :rotfl:
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    I have done sewing for people but had to stop it - there just wasn't enough money to justify the time, effort and disruption to my home life to make it worthwhile. The same goes for knitting as well really. It's a bit different if you're making something to go in a shop window as a demonstration garment though.

Nowadays I just stick to family and myself. Last thing I made for somebody else was a 'naughty Alice in Wonderland' costume for my niece for a 'Disney themed' fancy dress party - looked more like a 'naughty nurse' outfit by the time I got the skirt as short as she wanted it!
  • nuttywoman
    nuttywoman Posts: 2,203 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I always get my patterns from www.sewingpatterns.com every few weeks they have a sale and they`re good ones at that, the patterns are about $4.99 which works out at about £2.50 each.They do all the major brands of sewing patterns and delivery is about $4.99 as well.They take a week to come.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback