Sunday fun: what's the cringiest money saving you've witnessed??

Comments

• Bobarella wrote: »
    I own and run a cafe. I've had people come in before and as part of their meal ask for a cup of boiling water. When it came to clear them I've found fruit teas they've made themselves with the water. Is that ok? Not to me. But maybe that's seen as a perk to be had.

That's easily sorted by putting 'cup of hot water' on the menu.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,683 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The person in the card shop who was returning a 50p gift bag for a refund, having decided it was surplus to requirements. Much to the annoyance of those of us queueing up behind her - why not just keep it till she needed it?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • I have horses and buy my hay in bulk with cash, getting a reduced rate.
    Last year, I had people constantly asking to buy bales off me at my cost price. Fair enough, I don't mind helping.
    Then I realised they were taking 3 bales but only paying me for 1.
    There's a fine line between money saving and theft.
    P X
  • Puddylove - there's a fine line but I'd say that's nowhere near it - that's flat out theft!
  • densol_2
    densol_2 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    A good few years ago - I was so poor, I remember counting out in Tesco the exact amount of Brussels I would need to buy for my Christmas dinner.

Also a happy memory is going out to the fields and treating myself to a bag of wood to cook on the fire as it was snowing and very cold ( no central heating )
    Stuck on the carousel in Disneyland's Fantasyland :D

I live under a bridge in England
    Been a member for ten years.
    Retired in 2015 ( ill health ) Actuary for legal services.
  • A cafe on Red Bank Road in Blackpool which melted the butter and used a paint brush to apply it to the sandwiches they were making.

Maybe Tesco and other supermarkets who sell millions of sandwiches every day still use that method today? I imagine it would save them £m's.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • I worked in a shoe concession inside a high street store. There were a really old pair of canvas beach shoes from years ago. I would of binned them but there were part of stock. So I reduced them to 20p to get rid, a lady bought them and then returned them later that day. She was a little embarrassed though. I couldn't believe it, thought id finally seen the back of them.

Another lady use to pick up every £3 sale t-shirt then returned all the unwanted ones the next day. A week later she would do the same but not remembering what she brought pick up the same things and then return them.

We had a guy who would buy a new shirt, wear it on a night out then return it saying someone had brought it for him as a birthday present. Once you hear the same sorry a few times it sticks in our head...

One guy also use to return his full suit every time he worn the bottom out of his pants no matter how old it was....

We use to have people so afraid of being tried to sold something that they wouldn't listen to what you say, we had a offer suit, shirt & tie and shoes £150. (suits were normal £150 starting price) they would get really angry saying they didn't want anything else, not understanding it was free because they wouldn't listen)

Retail its a funny business...

I myself have reused teabags when poor and pinched loo roll from work (with permission) people use to laugh at my giant roll n my holder and reused tin foil for sandwiches.
    Debt Free Since 05/09/2015
    Breath out the past, breath in the future Big Dreams Start Small
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    xxxJOJOxxx wrote: »
    We use to have people so afraid of being tried to sold something that they wouldn't listen to what you say, we had a offer suit, shirt & tie and shoes £150. (suits were normal £150 starting price) they would get really angry saying they didn't want anything else, not understanding it was free because they wouldn't listen)

Retail its a funny business...

I've had similar in Tesco, sometimes there were offers where buying more would work out cheaper, but some many people couldn't seem to understand this. There were these yogurts on offer, they were something like 60p each, or 4 for £1. You get so many buying 2 or 3, then argue with you about not wanted to waste money when you try to convince them to take 4 so its cheaper
  • once saw in a joke shop: recycled toilet paper..hilarious and disgusting at the same time.
  • Angry_Bear
    Angry_Bear Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Bobarella wrote: »
    The infamous 'I'd like a black coffee' oh but can I have a dash of milk is also good....depends how nice I'm feeling :)
    I've never seen white coffe charged more than black, and if it was I would ask for white but specify "just a tiny bit of milk please".
    That being said, I normally ask for "black with a dash of milk" becasue I find even the request for a "tiny" bit ends up being far too milky for me. I like it barely changing colour :)

And yes, being charged 20p for a barest smidge of milk would annoy me. I'd pay it, but I probably wouldn't come back.
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport