Any dentists/denture wearers who can give me any comfort?

Feeling very depressed about this, made worse because my lovely dentist who I trusted implicitly has retired, and his successor isn't inspiring confidence in me. Sorry this might go on a bit ...

After many years of having a bridge on metal posts for my 4 front upper teeth, the bridge started falling out as the roots the posts were in have started to break up. So my new dentist said i had no alternative but a partial denture.
My father wore (full) dentures all his life, and they never seemed to be comfortable, so I was dreading this.

Anyway i got the denture on Monday. it forms my 4 upper front teeth, and has a metal clip on either side to hold it into my side teeth. The plate itself feels like I have a huge brick in the roof of my mouth. This is making me speak as if I have a gobstopper in my mouth.

When I speak, the teeth very obviously move up and down, unless I use Poligrip to glue them in. Is this as it should be? Clearly they would drop-out completely if it wasn't for the clips. I read about dentures developing suction in your mouth to fit in. Should this be happening now, will it develop over time, or have I misunderstood?

Dentist did say "don't expect too much of the teeth when you are eating. Eat soft foods, nothing too sticky." Last night I had jacket potato, today I have tried to eat an egg mayonnaise sandwich at work. Everything seems to catch between the plate and the roof of my mouth at the back, the feeling is nauseating - at this rate at least I'll be thinner for Christmas

My dentist told me that the dentures will take time to bed in, so "I don't want to see you back in the next few days saying you can't get on with them, give it at least 4 weeks" but I don't feel he has given me any guidance as to what to expect. his "chairside manner" is pretty brusque. He didn't even give me chance to try taking out and putting in the denture in his surgery (as I am disabled with some dexterity problems - as he knows- I thought he would give me that opportunity) On monday evening I was in tears in the bathroom, struggling to take out the denture and put it back in - I am getting better at that, at least, altho with my funny fingers it's far from easy.

I'm feeling really miserable at the moment. Should the denture fit any better? How long before I feel confident to talk, even laugh. Will I ever be able enjoy a meal again as much as I did?

I really feel I have just paid out £365 for an instrument of torture. Before he took the impressions for the denture I did ask dentist about implants, but he dismissed me, saying it would cost 10s of thousands of £££. Right now I feel I would sell my soul to the devil for an alternative to these dentures.

Any info you can give me will be gratefully received. Even if you don't have good news, I would rather know what to expect.
Thanks in anticipation.
I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)

Comments

• ukmike
    ukmike Posts: 751
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    They always feel horrible at first,just give it a week or two & you will get used to them.Implant retained dentures are expensive but well worth it,the best £3,500 i ever spent on a bottom set.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It will feel weird for the first few weeks, til you get used to it. I had a partial denture from the age of 11; like yours, it clipped in. As I recall, I hated it at first, but gradually got used to it, until I never really gave it another thought, it was no more a "problem" than my spectacles.:o

Fast-forward to my early 20s when my remaining teeth started crumbling, I opted to have the whole darned lot removed, and have had a full denture, top and bottom, for the past 30 years.

A while back, I had a new set made, as the old ones no longer fitted (gum shrinkage with age) - again, it took a little while before they felt "right", but now they're fine.

I do remove them and give them a bit of a clean after each meal, but I don't find the need to use denture adhesive.

Anyways, I hope this reassures you a bit; persevere, and don't lose hope.;)
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,072
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I think you need a dentist who can discuss all the options.

I cant imagine implants for the front 4 teeth costing 10s of thousands - even if lots of advanced stuff were necessary.

Yes - they are expensive, but it's for you to decide if that is worth it to you. Not him to decide you wouldn't want it.

Dentures are not easy, and your experience of the fit is quite subjective. What could feel firm & snug to one person could easily be described as loose and sloppy by another. It doesn't sound like your dentist is helping the process though!
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Hugs & well wishes to you at this moment in time - I too had an upper metal partial denture fitted on Monday having had my side teeth extracted 9 weeks ago - it feels totally alien, and the putting in of them is challenging to say the least! I felt nauseous all day Monday and kept wanting to gag, but this has passed. But persevere, mine were easier (but not easy!) today than yesterday, and feel slightly less intrusive I find it easier to eat food with a knife & fork (rather than biting a sandwich), I'm embarassed by the way I sound, but I'm told this will get better in time, you have my sympathy and I hope it gets a little easier each day for you. I really really didn't want to have to have a denture and persevered for several years with loose teeth due to gum disease before having this denture but would agree that it feels huge and awkward and weird. If you are really struggling with how it is fitting, would you be able to ask to see another dentist at your practice or perhaps the Hygenist? Hope you are able to sort something out, because I know that this is a pretty traumatic event.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I think our bodies eventually get used to a lot of things they find uncomfortable or odd, after a time.

Not dentures, but I have a large floater in one eye (they are no longer removed routinely), which very much bothered me, at first. Now, as the eye hospital receptionist told she found with hers, I forget about it most of the time.

I even forget I'm wearing or not wearing glasses; often trying to take off what's not there or reaching to put them on, when I'm actually wearing them.

Perhaps it's all part of the forgetfulness of advancing years . :)
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    I think you need a dentist who can discuss all the options.

I cant imagine implants for the front 4 teeth costing 10s of thousands - even if lots of advanced stuff were necessary.

Yes - they are expensive, but it's for you to decide if that is worth it to you. Not him to decide you wouldn't want it.

Dentures are not easy, and your experience of the fit is quite subjective. What could feel firm & snug to one person could easily be described as loose and sloppy by another. It doesn't sound like your dentist is helping the process though!

Thanks for this Toothsmith. Looks like I need to start searching for another dentist. I've only had 3 dentists in my life, the first treated me from my earliest childhood until my 30s, and was lovely, I used to travel a 100 mile round trip when I was grown up to continue seeing him. The 2nd was recommended by a cousin in the area I moved to, and has been wonderful - until he retired (younger than me the lucky soul), and he sold his practice to this new chap, who I have been seeing for about 9 months whilst dealing with the loose bridge. I've tried to feel better about him, but just don't feel he has any empathy, just wants to get me in and out of the chair and move on the next patient.

Hmm, I've asked colleagues at work, non of them are inclined to recommend their dentists. This is going to be difficult, ho hum.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure