Funeral Expenses, What happens if person cant pay?

Ladywriter1968
Ladywriter1968 Posts: 913 Forumite
edited 3 August 2010 at 4:10PM in Insurance & life assurance
I have a discussion with this top.

When a person dies. Say they have, No assets! No money! No insurance! And are generally poor! The family are also poor as well and cant afford to cover the funeral costs! Or maybe they dont want to know! They can not claim any benefits there fore cant get any help there either!

I would like to add also that.

This person is now in a care home and he has no assets and previously lived in a council house, he has no money either.

So the council can not get back any money from assets or anything at all as he simply does not have this.

The Mother died when she was a young child herself so there is no support system for her or family. She is in ill health herself now and can not afford to pay funeral expenses, she just about manages herself to keep a roof over her head.

The Father told everyone years ago including the child that he was insured for thousands, but it turned out to be a complete lie, they found he was not covered at all. He even told friends he owned his council house, which he didnt of course.

People started visiting him because they thought he had lots of money. He has nothing. Unfortunately the Father told lie after lie but the only one to suffer would be her really. She took out an insurance but could not keep up payments on her own, when she turned to family to help out, they just turned their backs on her.

He is now in a care home and gets his £21.60pw I think she said.

What happens then? Does anyone know the answer to this?

I just wondered?

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I believe there is a fund of last resort.
    But it won't pay for polished hearshs and a slap up buffett afterwards.
    It really is the absolute minimum.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Council is the payer of last resort. However, they do put a claim against the estate. So, once the house clearing company have been in and say the contents are worth £x then the council will put a claim against that.

As lisyloo says, it is the minimum but its even more minimum than that. No service or ceremony. Cardboard coffin and straight in to the furnace.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • emmell
    emmell Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    When my Grandad died he had no savings or insurance (his so called girlfriend had cashed everything in), so my Mum and two of her sisters had to arrange to pay the Co-op weekly. This was done by taking the cash in every week because none of them had bank accounts to set up direct debits. Although the youngest sister was on benefits the government couldn't help because she wasn't classed as next of kin, the eldest daughter (my Mum) was next of kin.
    ML.
    He who has four and spends five, needs neither purse nor pocket
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    Council is the payer of last resort. However, they do put a claim against the estate. So, once the house clearing company have been in and say the contents are worth £x then the council will put a claim against that.

As lisyloo says, it is the minimum but its even more minimum than that. No service or ceremony. Cardboard coffin and straight in to the furnace.

What if the person is in a care home and previously lived in a council house and has no money or assets at all? And the family are poor?
  • What if the person is in a care home and previously lived in a council house and has no money or assets at all? And the family are poor?

and also the rest of the family just dont care or want to know or help?
  • emmell wrote: »
    When my Grandad died he had no savings or insurance (his so called girlfriend had cashed everything in), so my Mum and two of her sisters had to arrange to pay the Co-op weekly. This was done by taking the cash in every week because none of them had bank accounts to set up direct debits. Although the youngest sister was on benefits the government couldn't help because she wasn't classed as next of kin, the eldest daughter (my Mum) was next of kin.
    ML.

Well this situation is with someone who is only child and their parent in a care home and the rest of the family do not want to know or help, so they have left this only child with the lot high and dry basically. The person can not afford to keep up the insurance premiums anymore as they are poor themselves. The parent never bothered to take out a policy years ago because the father lied to everyone saying he did have a policy but turns out he didnt. When the sibling started to take out the policy he was to old for companies to accept him and the premiums were more then the pay out to.
  • Selden wrote: »
    Your local council will arrange a funeral. The exact nature of what is on offer varies from council to council - if details are available online you can access them by entering the postcode into the webpage at this link.

Close friends or relatives of the deceased who take responsibiility for arranging the funeral may be able to get help towards the costs from the Social Fund if they receive certain benefits - further details at this link.

The website you sent, thank you for that help, I checked and that council only pays out if you are on certain benefits, and this person is not on any benefits so there fore is stuffed basically.

You mention close friends and relatives helping out. There arnt any. And the ones that are around dont want to know! The only child, sibling is the one who will be left with everything. The family are horrid and dont care. When it comes to money they certainly dont wish to know. They dont discuss anything either. They are tight and dont care yet although they are quite well off yet the sibling is poor.
  • lisyloo wrote: »
    I believe there is a fund of last resort.
    But it won't pay for polished hearshs and a slap up buffett afterwards.
    It really is the absolute minimum.

Thanks for all your advice.
  • Thanks for all your advice, sorry if I cant answer you all individually.
  • emmell wrote: »
    ML.

Thank you for telling me this, because she told me that her cousin is on benefits but she is not. So I guess that would apply the same then as to what happened with you, because even though her cousin on benefits, she is not direct next of kin. I really dont know what will happen then, cause she simply does not have the money. They cant get from her what she does not have.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure