We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Allotment given up - tools forfeited?

littlerock
littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
Friend of mine's marriage recently broke up. He has had a lot to deal with and had to give up his allotment. He was not able at the time he told the council, to redeem his tools. Now he wants to see if he can get them back and they have told him when he gave up the allotment he gave up the shed and forfeited its contents. He has asked if they can put him in touch with the new owner to see if they kept any of his stuff when they took over and they said no. Can they do this? It occurs to me maybe the council staff cleared out the contents which is why they are being cagey. Anyone got any experience?

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    No experience at all, but my guess is Data Protection for reason not giving out name etc of new owner

Depends on your council, maybe they would pass a letter, with SAE on to new owner? Just a thought
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Go and pin a letter on the shed door. Put it in a plastic wallet in case it rains before the new occupant sees it.
  • wellused
    wellused Posts: 1,678 Forumite
    I don't know whether this is common practice but the allotment association on my site have a rule when someone leaves and doesn't collect their things whether that be a shed, tools, plants, greenhouse, raised beds, slabs etc they can sell them to other plot holders and use the proceeds for association funds.
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I inherited te stuff in my shed. The site rep said that he'd given the previous occupant notice to collect his stuff but never did anything about it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    He could just go to the site and ask the new owner of the plot? they may be sympathetic.. hopefully a lot of people would probably hand the stuff back under the circumstances, although if he didn't go at the time to take what was his, regardless of his situ, it's his own fault for losing stuff, if they won't hand it over.

On my site the council barely get involved (the office staff never go on site) and any new plot holders just inherit whatever is left on the plot.
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    wellused wrote: »
    I don't know whether this is common practice but the allotment association on my site have a rule when someone leaves and doesn't collect their things whether that be a shed, tools, plants, greenhouse, raised beds, slabs etc they can sell them to other plot holders and use the proceeds for association funds.

Same on our site but its private not council.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    On our site when you give up a plot, anything you leave behind is inherited by the next tenant.

As others have said, there's no harm in approaching the new plot tenant but they're under no obligation to return anything (and, of course, may not believe your friend's account in the first place anyway).
  • immoral_angeluk
    immoral_angeluk Posts: 24,506 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    There's no official rule at our allotments, but I think it's just presumed if you leave it you forfeit it. I inherited a completely rusted wheelbarrow, 3 compost bins, a broken greenhouse frame and a mass of twine.

Oh, and the weeds. Don't forget the weeds...
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family