Leaking/Overflow pipe under sink

Happy Easter moneysavers!

I have been using this website for a while now and can normally find an answer to my problem by searching theforums. No such luck this time though :(

I have taken a photo and circled the problem but not allowed to post as Iam a new user. WIll see if I can post later or can email it to anyone who has a minute to look.

I moved last year to a house where the kitchen had been recently updated, and noticed that water sometimes leaks from under my sink. It seems to have gotten much worse recently and i had a look. It seems like water from the main sink drain goes vertically down a pipe which is then connected to a horizontal pipe which connects to the drainer and the dishwasher, with the dishwasher pipe on the right and the u-bend directly beneath the drainer. The vertical pipe from the main sink is not 'sealed' where it joins the horizontal pipe(circled in red in the photo) and if too much water is drained down (i.e. emptying the washing up bowl)water bubbles up from the unsealed join between the horizontal and vertical pipe...

I have done a bit of plumbing before with varying success (i.e. installed a new inlet valve in toilet)but I don't even know really how to describe this to a plumber so any ideas even on how to say what the problem is would be very welcome. I also don't know any plumbers now that I've moved (to edinburgh) so not even sure how to describe or what kind of a job it might be in order to get a quote. It's not super urgent at the moment so I will be able to contact a few during the week if needed.

Any advice would be gratefully received, thanks very much in advance , sorry couldn;t get the picture up this time
Maggie

Comments

• Hello All,

STill not allowed to post photos but Ican send you it if required (or the link). Promise it is not spam, just a very exciting photo of under my sink!

MAny thanks,
    MAggie
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You've answered your own question.

You need to seal the joint. Whether you do that with a replacement seal or O-ring, or some other method, will depend on the joint.
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    post the pic on a web photo hosting site, then post the link here, just leave off the www & then the forum will think it's just text & one of use will post it for you
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    As Post #4.

In the meantime the majority of these are pushfit with or without an O ring although some are a compression connection.

I thinks its most likely that your waste pipes need cleaning. Clean the pipework and the problem will probably self adjust.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • Hello everyone,

THanks so much for the helpful replies so far.

The picture is here imgur.com/a90U8m7

BUt it seems from these Iwill need to seal the leak! Probably should have figured that one out myself...

If the picture helps please let me know,

THanks again so much for the advice so far!
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Hello everyone,

THanks so much for the helpful replies so far.

The picture is here https://www.imgur.com/a90U8m7

BUt it seems from these Iwill need to seal the leak! Probably should have figured that one out myself...

If the picture helps please let me know,

THanks again so much for the advice so far!

I would say all the joints are a little loose either from installation or just heating/ cooling with the water through them so, I would say you (or someone) needs to undo all the joints, clean and remake them. No parts should be needed. Two joints seem to have moved as you can see a dirty line on the white pipe.
    The joint between the sink and the grey waste seems to be a bit krusty.

The flexi pipes to the tap seem a little stressed?
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    if it's not big enough KS let me know :p

kit_sink_leak.jpg
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • keystone
    if it's not big enough KS let me know :p
    Ha Ha. You know what I meant about the others! :p

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • keystone
    So its not the overflow which is leaking. I still think the whole lot needs a damned good clean out and reassembly.

DYN - Stressed is an understatement of the bleeding obvious. Too short for the other pipework or rather the other pipework wasn't configured properly for the flexis.

Actually I'm of the opinion that the waste pipes are stressed too - thats why they are pulling apart. Very DIY or bodged installation by someone who should know better if he was paid to do it.

IKEA kitchen then?

Cheers
  • Hello all,

Southcoastgri - THANKS SO MUCH FOR POSTING THE PHOTO!

THanks so much for the advice from everyone - i am always so grateful for the knowledge on these boards! The bits that look dirty seem to be some kind of tape, but i don't know which company installed it. I always thought it was strange that the bottom bit of the pipe (in red) is not sealed - it moves up and down into the horizontal pipe. My fault i'm afraid for saying it was an overflow - more that water seems to overflow up out of the un-sealed down pipe. I can't see how to join the bit of pipe so it is sealed -it has no thread but maybe it's time for a plumber... will certainly try cleaning out all the bits i can get to.

Sounds like a few of you think it is not fitted properly so maybe worth getting a professional in for certain. Unfortunately i dont' know who fitted it or anything and can't find out (previous owners not in touch)

THanks again for all the help,
    Cheers,
    Maggie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills