PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SunnyGirl wrote: »
    but I've been confined to the living room really so I'm
    now a bit bored and fed up.

I hate having anyone in to do work full stop. I hate being confined to one room like you wre today, and then I always feel that I can't get on with anything while workmen are here. I even hate it if a friend phones because I don't like the thought that they can hear what I'm saying :) It is never anything of interest to workmen, but just the thought that someone is probably listening in to my conversation. Goodness, reading this back, I sound paranoid :D Perhaps I am :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's a shame that this wasn't very good. You may feel like trying a different chinese in a couple of months. I am quite fussy over chicken as well. I always make sure it is well cooked and probably overcook it a little bit to be certain it is cooked through.

Do you like any take away other than chinese that you could have next time?

When I moved here about 4 years ago I tried a couple - they weren't anything special and "my usual" was about £9. So that's way too much to pay... but then somebody I know said there's a good one... and then she said it again and I remembered ... and then I thought I'd try it. No online menu and it turned out to cost £7.30 for "my usual".

In reality ... I loved it the first time as it was a novelty - and the chicken "balls" were HUUUGE, more like fillets. So it was a good sized portion, at a good price. But the chow mein wasn't all that good last time and this time the egg rice wasn't anything to write home about (it wasn't how I like it if I'm paying). So the chicken middle being "almost jelly like to look at, with a similar feeling texture in my mouth" put that final nail in the coffin.

As I've already tried a few - and all the others cost about £9 - I'll stick what I had been doing: chicken bits from supermarkets/frozen + make my own rice or chow mein and my own SS sauce.

Me making my own comes in about about £1 or so ... max £1.50.
  • Hollyharvey
    Options

I really wish I'd bought a house that'd already had the full concrete treatment outside :)
    All of the back of my house is concrete. I moved here from a house with a massive garden and was at the point where I had had enough of the work. That was one of the reasons that I bought this place.

There is quite a large fron garden which is all grass and seperates me nicely from the pavement. My place is an end of a terrace of 5 bungalows and we all share a gardener to mow the lawns at the front.
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Caronc Sympathies right back at you and I'm going to steal your idea of a spray bottle of water. I'm definitely starting to get hot flushes these days unfortunately and a squirt of cool water will be lovely. I have a little hand held fan that I stole from one of the children that works a treat too.

HH You're not alone I was the same this morning when my friend then son rang! Plus a lot of my daytime pottering around seems to be in the kitchen and I couldn't do it. Managed to watch a few episodes of Breaking Bad though :)

PN I must adopt the same attitude of doing a tiny bit when I'm out there as it's more than is getting done now!

Has anyone tried these cakes in a mug? Are they any good? Sometimes I just feel like a bit of cake but don't want to make a big one or cba going out to the shop at night.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 June 2017 at 7:50PM
    Options
    SunnyGirl wrote: »

Has anyone tried these cakes in a mug? Are they any good? Sometimes I just feel like a bit of cake but don't want to make a big one or cba going out to the shop at night.

It's another word gimmick. It's just the same as they've ever been ... cakes in the nuker ... but we never called them "mug" ones in the past, we just made them.

The bottom line with these is: they will work to a point. It depends on the size of the mug, the power of the nuker - and what you're actually making.

A lot have an unachievable ingredients list, that relies on a fully stocked (usually feeding 6 people) type of store cupboard.

But ... they do work, but after you've done the first one you will need to learn from what you ended up with and then tweak it a bit so it comes out how you expected.

You don't hear of me making many just because I'm "not really a cake sort of person" and quite often don't have even "the basics" in the cupboard to make one. I've made about 1 this year (I just checked). I more often do puds/custard, rather than cakes.... I do love something hot with custard -v- a cold bit of cake.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 12 June 2017 at 7:50PM
    Options

I really wish I'd bought a house that'd already had the full concrete treatment outside :)

Swop your garden with mine then - if you like that.

But I've got a reasonable amount of "proper garden" that I can manage to grow things in - whilst I wait for the (loads of....) money I need to rip it all up and set it right at some point.

So - concrete - can crack like mad and get weeds in said cracks (including awkward ones like dandelions). Check.

Paving stones - if cheapie/horrible - can get to look really manky/crack. Get weeds in said cracks (including awkward ones like dandelions). Check.

Tarmac - yep.....same again....

I am going to be so glad to see the back of all that yucky cheap broken stuff when I can afford it....:cool:.

So - swop you for grass.

I'm not sure whether it's a blessing that so many gardens in this area are like that:eek: - so mine doesnt stand out as uniquely ugly until I can throw some (loadsa) money at it. Or a curse that so many of them are like it - as it makes the area look so much worse than it's supposed to/could do. I'll go with regarding it as a curse....:cool:
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 June 2017 at 8:05PM
    Options
    Today's CFO effort:

B'fast: Tea, Coffee
    Lunch: Can of diet Tango
    Afternoon/High Tea :p :cool: x 3 Teas, a Bounty Bar, A pitta bread toasted and smothered in butter and a splash of marmalade.

Dinner: (2 hours later) x2 large Pitta Breads with X2 breaded frozen fish fillets and shredded lettuce with baby toms on the side. One more pitta just toasted with honey.
    :o

What a greedy moo eh :o and mostly unhealthy stuff. I am now stuffed and my stomach is blown up like a big balloon :(...serves me right! :o

Twas just one of them eat everything till stuffed days :o
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've no grass or apart from one at the front, no flower beds. The front is pebbles (wish it was slabbed as they are a weed magnet) and the back a mix of slabs for the top half and dodgy concreting for the lower. If I had the cash I'd get the bottom half levelled and slabbed. Hence the squillons of pots for flowers and tubs for the "allotment" part. I do wish at times I had some beds at the back but in reality pots are much easier to manage. I'm so glad I have no lawns....:D
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    Today's CFO effort:

Afternoon/High Tea :p :cool: x 3 Teas, a Bounty Bar, A pitta bread toasted and smothered in butter and a splash of marmalade.

Dinner: (2 hours later) x2 large Pitta Breads with X2 breaded frozen fish fillets and shredded lettuce with baby toms on the side. One more pitta just toasted with honey.

What a greedy moo eh :o and mostly unhealthy stuff. I am now stuffed and my stomach is blown up like a big balloon :(...serves me right! :o

It could have been much worse..... sometimes you just have to go with the flow;)
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    Today's CFO effort:

On the plus side you have eaten, and that's the main thing :)
    Hopefully you will get some sleep tonight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure