Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No, it isn't.

There are nearly 200 countries in the world, you have compared the average age of cars in Britain with just two of them and determined that buying flash cars to impress the neighbours is a peculiarly British trait.

Do you work for the Daily Mail?

It is, and I've provided two more examples than you have.

There's the challenge, name another market that is more susceptible to these deals, the answer is there isn't one.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 April 2017 at 5:58PM
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    It is, and I've provided two more examples than you have.

There's the challenge, name another market that is more susceptible to these deals, the answer is there isn't one.

Of course there is.

Did you even look at the picture I posted? An advert from the USA blatantly exploiting the US car buying public's desire to keep up with the Jones'

The comparison that you used only shows that, on average, cars in the UK are younger than those in Spain and Germany. It certainly doesn't prove any neighbourly one upmanship tendencies.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Austin introduced the A40 Devon and Dorset in 1947, which were succeeded by the A40 Somerset and then the A40 Cambridge, which ceased production in 1956. In 1958 a much smaller A40 was introduced, unofficially known as the A40 Farina as it was designed by Pininfarina. The minimally restyled Mk 2 followed in 1961 and after the fitting of the 1100 engine a year later, there were no more changes until it was discontinued in 1967.

Unlike its larger Farina sisters, the A55 Cambridge Mk2 and the A99 Westminster, which became the A60 and the A110 respectively following restyling in 1961, the A40 remained the A40.

The A40 was the only BMC Farina design which was not cloned.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Of course there is.

Did you even look at the picture I posted? An advert from the USA blatantly exploiting the US car buying public's desire to keep up with the Jones'

The comparison that you used only shows that, on average, cars in the UK are younger than those in Spain and Germany. It certainly doesn't prove any neighbourly one upmanship tendencies.

I think all you found was a very rare instance of American irony.

You state there are two hundred countries that might be better examples than Germany and Spain, which ones are you picking, Outer Mongolia, Burkina Faso and Guatemala?

The comparison with Germany should be apt because it is one of few developed countries that is wealthier than the uk, a poorer country would be expected to have older cars.

A more apt if general observation is the level of personal debt, only the us rivals the levels achieved in the uk, and that excludes mortgages so represents what the country is spending on depreciating items rather than investments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure