sarahevie's single quest to mortgage freedom

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yikes, that's a lot of money to find. I'm shocked the setting didn't chase it up, at least they could have alerted you.

Did you go and view the preschool?
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • User1489
    User1489 Posts: 400 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Sorry to hear that - I would be livid with myself.

On the plus side, living hand to mouth for three weeks can reinstall some great MFW behaviours and is always good for innovation :D

Are you able to ask them whether you can stagger the payments. Phoned explain the situation?

MvM
    Baby Step 1 - £1k Emergency Fund - COMPLETE
    Baby Step 2 - Pay off all debts except the Mortgage - £9,326 to go
    Baby Step 3 - Save 6 months of expenses into full Emergency Fund - £4,300 to go

Baby Step 4 - Put 15% into Pension
    Baby Step 6 - Pay off the Mortgage early
    Baby Step 7 - Live like no-one else :D
  • No I've paid it, felt so guilty I even paid Sept, Oct. September was due on the 1st, so owed anyway and I've paid October as it may take until October half term to find time to sort out the direct debit.

Ultimately it was my fault. I'm surprised that I didn't notice that I had extra which doesn't really fit my limited income. Even the ex kept saying to me something is really a miss with your finances, you have too much money. (I kept saying I'm really frugal, which I am, but actually the extra was due to the nursery fees.)

As I've cleared out all my savings, let's hope the students pay their rent when their loans come through on the 30th (they asked to pay 5 months rent at the end of Sept to see them through until their next loan installment end of Jan. They moved in July, but don't get loans through until end of Sept, hence the large payment due.)

On the positive, this rent payment almost covers the mortgage until the end of their contract 30th June 2017. So any additional payments in Jan 2017, April 2017 will help to build savings and as long as the mortgage is covered, until end of June, I'll feel better about lack of savings.
    HOME
    Original mortgage free date Nov 2037
    Mortgage free August 2018

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    Teacher pension - DB scheme
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • CathT wrote: »
    Yikes, that's a lot of money to find. I'm shocked the setting didn't chase it up, at least they could have alerted you.

Did you go and view the preschool?

I did a drive by when I was at a family birthday last weekend, but I haven't been able to view. The vendors want me to view when it is open and operational, which I appreciate. However, I started back teaching 1st Sept, so I'm at work when they are open.

Unsure how to move forward, as I don't have the money to buy it, and unsure how to gain finance. Also i'm so busy in my new role at work, that I don't have the time to research. I've not given up on it, but it is on the backburner for now.
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • As expected, the tenants rent due end of September, covers more than the mortgage until the end of their contract. I will have a surplus of £275, so really happy. One of the tenants also paid this morning, so feeling much better.

When the next payments (Jan) (May) come through I'll have around £7000 which won't be needed to pay the mortgage.

(The tax is already sorted, I keep that separate to pay the bill. Last year I paid too much so was refunded £877 so I am extremely careful with this. Well I have an accountant who keeps me in line.:rotfl:)
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • sarahevie1 wrote: »
    Busy busy week, back at school.

Unfortunately there has been a blip with DD3s nursery fees, well the standing order stopped August 2015 (I definitely did not stop it.) So I haven't paid for a whole year:eek::eek::eek:

I would have a word with the bank to see what happened, you may just get a little compensation, I know of someone who had bother when re-newing their mortgage, they got a whole months mortgage free :D

And on the same note, I have just noticed that my council tax has not left my account, nobody to blame, but myself :o :rotfl: :mad: and there's me thinking, "I good at this money management thing" :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • Hello. My am also a single parent . I have a 9 year old disabled son and a 7 year old daughter. I used to work as a primary school teacher and now I am a full time carer for my disabled son. I would suggest that you keep your house. Good luck.
  • Hello. My am also a single parent . I have a 9 year old disabled son and a 7 year old daughter. I used to work as a primary school teacher and now I am a full time carer for my disabled son. I would suggest that you keep your house. Good luck.

Thanks for dropping by Maximum Saving, it must be hard on your own with a disabled child. My DD2 has had her issues, lung condition, but not severe enough for DLA or anything. I take my hat off to you for going for mortgage freedom whilst caring for your son, it must be really hard going.
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • So yesterday I got a red letter from my old energy supplier BG, this is despite having finalised and closed the account with them.

I still apparently owed them £88, plus additional debt collection fee taking it to £106, anyhow I've paid it, don't want it lingering on my credit file. Have dug out my final payment when I switched suppliers though so will be chasing it.

Also I received a tax refund earlier in the year and now HMRC have written saying it was an error so I've had to pay it back, £967. May it be a cautionary tale, savings are essential.
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • sarahevie1
    sarahevie1 Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    It's DD1s bday tomorrow, and I've bought her a packet of knickers and socks. This is because I said it was either a party, or a present and she chose the party. I took her and 7 friends to a local climbing wall followed by pizza express, her choice. She had a great time but £135 later. She is being very sensible about it though, and unlike most of her friends will not be asking for anything else. The more I learn about being a parent, the more you give them, the more they expect.

My tenants have paid it was a large lump sum, as it covers 6 months rent, so thats helped.

Went to a christening this morning, then stayed in and cleaned the house. No spend day.
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing