Some lorries could be banned from London because of danger to cyclists.

Options

Comments

• silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Perhaps we should ban pedestrians too, since so many fatalities to them came from lorries.

I know a lad with permanent brain damage as a result of a lorry mounting the pavement, so I don't really appreciate your comment.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Perhaps we should ban pedestrians too, since so many fatalities to them came from lorries.

I know a lad with permanent brain damage as a result of a lorry mounting the pavement, so I don't really appreciate your comment.

I'm sorry to hear about that.

I know someone with permanent brain damage as a result of falling off his bike while riding to work. Empty road, nobody else involved.
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

I know someone with permanent brain damage as a result of falling off his bike while riding to work. Empty road, nobody else involved.

Yes, we can all make things up in cyber world.

You come across as being a nasty piece of work.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• JP08
    JP08 Posts: 851 Forumite
    Options
    Low lorry windows are not a new idea - it's something where design has gone backwards.

Remember getting a lift from a neighbour in one of these when I was a kid, even then it seemed a very good idea that you could see what was beside you.

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-old-leyland-flat-bed-lorry-72719177.html
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 October 2016 at 2:45PM
    Options
    How about dusting-off the old Thamesport or even the Kings Cross Airport proposals, then airfreight everything in for local collection?

unbuilt_thamesport.jpg

kings-cross-airport1.jpg

:)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 October 2016 at 11:33PM
    Options

I know of thousands of car drivers who have contacted the steering wheel with their heads or gone through the windscreen when the idiots have ploughed into something. Are you serious ?
    Gloomendoom is an anti cyclist who declared cyclist`s as "Lycra barstewards " a few weeks ago. He usually infests the motoring/discussion forums with his opinions
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yeah -- motorists kill themselves all the time on empty roads. It's pretty rare for a cyclist to do that!
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 October 2016 at 5:50PM
    Options
    All that is clear is that cycles / cars /HGV / pedestrians should not try and occupy the same space at the same time and if we find way to separate, then everyone is a winner.

Cyclists are dicing with death when they cycle on the roads, not because they are not great cyclists or lack of road sense on their part etc, but because they just do not combine with motorised vehicles.

I would not want to put myself in a position where I was entrusting my safety and life, to strangers driving a vehicle that could kill me if it made contact with me on the small piece of road that I was trying to share with them and their vehicle. No car driver or lorry driver wants to hurt anyone. at the end of the day, we are all human and there are blind spots on trucks that a pedestrian or cyclist may not be aware of

I am not anti cyclists btw, I just think there should be a better and safer way for everyone . I don't think it is any one groups FAULT, it is the system we have in place. It is so easy to demonize one group, but really it is not any one groups fault

I have always thought that one idea would be to have timed limits on cars and HGV deliveries into city centres - a two mile perimeter where HGV are only allowed in between 4 - 8am for example - and after that - the 2 mile perimeter is cycles only - no trucks, and no cars (unless special circumstances like disability etc.)
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ska_lover wrote: »
    All that is clear is that cycles / cars /HGV / pedestrians should not try and occupy the same space at the same time and if we find way to separate, then everyone is a winner.

Cyclists are dicing with death when they cycle on the roads, not because they are not great cyclists or lack of road sense on their part etc, but because they just do not combine with motorised vehicles.

I would not want to put myself in a position where I was entrusting my safety and life, to strangers driving a vehicle that could kill me if it made contact with me on the small piece of road that I was trying to share with them and their vehicle. No car driver or lorry driver wants to hurt anyone. at the end of the day, we are all human and there are blind spots on trucks that a pedestrian or cyclist may not be aware of.

I am not anti cyclists btw, I just think there should be a better and safer way for everyone . I don't think it is any one groups FAULT, it is the system we have in place. It is so easy to demonize one group, but really it is not any one groups fault.

OK so far.
    ska_lover wrote: »
    I have always thought that one idea would be to have timed limits on cars and HGV deliveries into city centres - a two mile perimeter where HGV are only allowed in between 4 - 8am for example - and after that - the 2 mile perimeter is cycles only - no trucks, and no cars (unless special circumstances like disability etc.)

Not quite sure you have thought that through. Who's going to pay someone to open up say an office building at 4am to have the bins collected, confidential waste collected, parcels delivered etc. etc.? You want to ban lorries and cars, how about buses? And while 2 mile might work in London, there are cities in the UK where motorways are closer than that to the city centre are you going to ban motorised vehicles from those?
  • Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just a thought...

Who pays for all these modified trucks? Is the Government going to fork out the cost of replacing all the "dangerous" ones or will that be down to the haulier?

I wonder what would happen if transport companies refused & said we'll come as far as the M25 then it's up to you to get the goods into London....
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure