Divorce and disclosure

A question about for a friend.

Friend and estranged husband separated some time ago, she has stayed in the family home, and is buying husband out. They both have solicitors, but have agreed mutually on an amount, both are happy with, and have told the solicitors they want a 'clean break' friend is not interested in his pensions, and wants to start over asap.

His solicitor has stated it still has to go to court with full disclosure of his pensions, which is going to cost time time and money to get.

Does this full disclosure have to happen if they are both happy with the settlement, or is it the solicitor trying to drag things out?
Any advice we would be great fun, thank you
:j

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I certainly don't remember mine going to court and going into pensions. I didn't disclose anything and don't remember my ex doing so either. We both agreed the financials and divorced. Unless it was done behind the scenes as a matter of course, but I certainly don't remember it!

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • If you want a clean break you need a consent order. To get a consent order needs full disclosure.

Solicitor costs c£200. Court fee £50. Job done.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, my husband had to disclose pensions and their value. He had three and there was no charge from the companies who gave a value and the figures were received within a week.
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks guys :beer::beer:
    :j
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    They both have to complete a 'Statement of Information' form summarising the financial positions. It is not as detailed as if they were asking the court to decide who gets what, but her husband will need to values of his pensions n order to complete the forms.
    Unless the pensions are already in payment, his pension providers are required to provide the values free of charge so it is not a particularly onerous requirement.
    (and it may be wise for your friend to wait until she knows the figures before deciding that she is happy to give up her claim to them)
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Kentselon
    Kentselon Posts: 32 Forumite
    What is the quickest way and cheapest way to divorce we have no kids no house together was only married for 3 months but I have a pension but I paid for car a few utility bills anyone help
  • Kentselon wrote: »
    What is the quickest way and cheapest way to divorce we have no kids no house together was only married for 3 months but I have a pension but I paid for car a few utility bills anyone help

Start your own thread - you'll get more replies :)

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Kentselon wrote: »
    Cheapest is to download forms and DIY it - only court fees to pay
    https://www.gov.uk/divorce/overview
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business