PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

As The Workhouse Approaches....How To Do Everything To Avoid It, the Old Style Way

Comments

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 April 2011 at 8:06AM
    silvermaid wrote: »
    Ceridwen it was medicinal uses of willow herb for skin that I was interested in - I don't do cosmetics 'coz of my skin.
    Cheers m'dears

What particular thing are you thinking of?

I have instantly put my hand on recipes for:

Rosebay willowherb tea - digestion, diarrhoea, IBS, heavy periods, prostate problems, mouth ulcers, sore throats

Rosebay syrup - diarrhoea

Poultice - for old ulcers, minor wounds

Do you want that? (Can PM them to you if required).

EDIT; another book points out that the leaves and flowers of this are to be gathered at the end of September.
  • barneydee_2
    barneydee_2 Posts: 318 Forumite
    Hi a new thread :jI read the old thread all the time but never posted, I think you lot are a great crowd and I have learnt a lot from you all and felt very inspired by you.Times are hard at the moment and I don't think it is going to get any easier for a long while we have about £14 grand of debt which was at about £17 two years ago. but of late I have been sticking my head in the sand, but this weekend we are going to sit down and sort all our paper work out again and get letters sent off. Our other task for the weekend is to get things planted we have a big garden. will post again over the weekend but have to go to work know.

Dee
    July grocery challenge £250.00/£408.93
    August grocery challenge£350.00
    2/8£28.46
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Pazu wrote: »
    Hi all

Love the title as I had been thinking along the same lines and ofcourse "The Big Society" is just another way of saying Victorian philanthropism. It didn't work then and won't work now.

I hate the term ''big society'' but like the idea. I see it very differently to hw you describe it. The huge difference between this and Victorian Philanthropism is there is stuff we can ALL do and we don't have to sit hopefully receiving and tugging forelocks in the direction of our ''betters''. Helping ur neighbours, having support network (not unlike this thread)...are parts of the notion of helping our ''neighbours'' in society. If you can do mre with time...perhaps some litter picking on a route you walk.....that's part of it. And yes, its good if those to spare share some, and if they get a feel good fator out if it they'll give again. But we all can...and IMO its only bunkum if we don't bother or take responsibility.
  • ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Morning all!

:D My first call in the LA call centre yesterday was from a Mr Angry demanding to know why we (the Council) hadn't got any bunting up for the Royal Wedding. I passed him to another operator as it was too tempting for a joker like me to handle........:rotfl:Could've said cos we've got no blimmin' money, cos we're rabid republicans, cos we're miserable g*ts......probably best not to go there. Mind you, we tend to do something silly for April 1st, so we can be bothered if the mood strikes.

Have a good day, everyone.

That was his lucky day then wasnt it? - ie if I'd been in your job he might just have got me starting to reel off the long list of cuts implemented/proposed locally in necessities - followed by me solicitously saying "...and I'm sure the Council would be delighted to hear where the money is to come from to cover reinstating these necessities AND some left over for this..so if you have any suggestions as to where to get this money from or are you offering to pay for it yourself?....:rotfl::rotfl:"
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hope you don't mind me dropping in to this thread - I've lurked for quite a while on previous threads and as times get tougher need to consider other options so thought I'd take part in this if that's alright. :) I'm starting to grow my own - am a bit of a newbie when it comes to anything gardening-related - and will be planting a couple of tubs at the beginning of next week with some carrot seeds a friend gave me. She also said to put some garlic bulbs in with them to help keep carrot fly away, so I'll give that a try too.

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 April 2011 at 8:24AM
    Pazu wrote: »
    Hi all

Love the title as I had been thinking along the same lines and ofcourse "The Big Society" is just another way of saying Victorian philanthropism. It didn't work then and won't work now.

Scarey thought for the day. Although the Poor Laws were repeald in the 30's supposingly closing the work houses they weren't actually closed until 1948 by the Atlee government introducing the Welfare State because there was no where for the poor sods to go.

Oh well, off to the hospital to have a camera put down my throat. I'll take my cynicism with me. lol.

Pazu

Hi

Were you aware that there are now "Contac" size things one can swallow instead of having a camera put down the throat? As I recall - its a sorta mini camera and the medics watch the photos it takes as it "heads downwards" on a screen. It then ...errrr....self-ejects at the other end...

...now you just know you so wouldnt envy any medical staff that ever proposed "older technology" for me...they might have to find a new dictionary (of the slang variety) for all new words they might then learn....:rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I would love to be able to garden once more but sadly my joints don't bend as they used to.But I will be reading the thread with interest and am going to dig out an old book my late ma-in-law gave me which was from the W.I during the 1930s I am pretty sure there were so tips in there.Not the 'take a dozen eggs' type from Mrs Beeton though.That's my task for today and if you saw the amount of books in my study you would understand the last paragraph.I do have a lot of books .Will let you know if I find anything useful
    Good Luck JackieO xx
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tiny rant

Having run out of all other things edible for brekkie we're left with the weetabix, but no milk. So I tried making rice milk to go on it.

I now have a jug of what looks like fake semen in my fridge. I don't think hubby will be happy with it on his cereal.

Poop :(
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    Fake semen :eek: :rotfl: the mind boggles! Could you not try putting it through a sieve?
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Softstuff - you give such an "enchanting" description that I wonder if I really fancy it now.....:cool:

Howsomever - on the long list of culinary experiments I am working my way through is having a go at making my own rice milk. I am a bit nervous about this - as I like one brand of this, but not others...

The one I like is Rice Dream as I recall.

Anyways - DO let us know how it works out and whether its more like Rice Dream or the brands I dont like or ...even worse than the brands I dont like and, if 'tis any good, then your particular recipe for it please.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure