Whats the cheapest way to feed my cat?

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,596 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Lily has 1 Felix sachet with a handful of Sainsbury's Dry for brekkie, and a bowl of the dry for dinner.
    She shines with health and has a very efficient "system" and produces almost perfect poo in large quantities.
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    The fact that a cat is having large poos suggests that something isn't quite right.

My cat produces only a small ammount and it is firm.

My mother feeds a pure RAW diet and her cats produce next to nothing - a good sign that all the nutrients are being absorbed into the system. When they've had bones their poo is white and crumbly from the calcium.

So yes, a cat producing a lot of poo shows that the food is doing nothing for it. It's literally going in one end and coming out the other.
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I echo what Sequeena said!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Daisy's the same,very small amounts of poo not stinky too
  • Petal_3
    Petal_3 Posts: 779 Forumite
    What Sequeena says makes logical sense. I feed mine raw and they do very small amounts, not too often and I can vouch for them being white & crumbly when having bones.

ooh....it's too early to be talking poo!

~x~
    Owned by [STRIKE]4[/STRIKE] 4 cats: 2 x Maine coon cross males, 1 x Pixie Bob male and[STRIKE] 2[/STRIKE] 1 x Norwegian Forest male....cute!

R.I.P Darling Jackson 11/7/09 - 15/1/10 :(
    Miss u sweetie... :heart:
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    Sadly it's a fact of daily life when you have pets LOL!
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • Fizzy12
    Fizzy12 Posts: 47 Forumite
    I feed my two cats raw from Food4cats. They love it and so do I. It's cheaper than tinned food, doesn't smell, they poo less and that also doesn't smell, and they are in much better condition than they were when on tinned stuff.
    My female cat had kittens 13 weeks ago and when I took them to the vets to be wormed she weighed the mummy and said she had put on weight since having the kittens which is really unusual and she was the healthiest mummy cat the vet had ever seen, I put this down to the raw food. Even my husband thinks it's better than what we used to feed them and that's saying something!
  • missmontana
    missmontana Posts: 1,994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    wow, i think I might be changing my cats diets!!! the less poo the better. :T
    Be who you are, say what you feel, those who mind don't matter, those who matter don't mind.
    They say that talking to yourself is a sign of mental illness. So I talk to the cats instead.
  • Claire_Bear
    Claire_Bear Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Home Bargains have the Feline Fayre pouches in at the moment, 19p for Ocean Fish flavour, and 25p for Tuna or Tuna and Salmon flavour. 85g pouches, 60% meat. Or £1.79 for a box of 8 in B&M. Or on offer in Asda for a quid!

As I recently seem to have become some sort of catfood detective, (I can't go anywhere without scrutinising tins and pouches and comparing them, it's like an obsession!) I was trying to figure out how much it costs to feed per day and how much meat content there is. FF figures up 99p per day, 60% fish. (This is full price - 33p per pouch at Asda, not Home Bargains price) Whiskas Oh So... pouches are min. 4% Sardine, min. 14% Whole Pieces of Fish (I thought it was more than that?) so 18% fish, at just over £1 per day. :confused: Why does it cost the same amount to feed your cat loads of filler and stuff as it does to feed them a much higher percentage of meat/fish? It's a bit of a con when you think about it :o I know that when I first got Pepsi I fed her Whiskas pouches as I thought that the higher price tag automatically meant they'd be better quality and better for her than the cheaper food, but they're essentially just the same. Now I've done a bit of digging around and research into it, I'll definately be going for something with a much higher meat content, and I know it doesn't have to cost a massive amount more either! Plus it's even better if there's offers on or you find it in a place like Home Bargains or B&M for less than RRP. I know they're not as good as a 100% raw diet, or some other food with like 80% meat in, but I might try and work my way up to this as like I said in another post, she doesn't seem too keen on raw food just yet.

Sorry for the TLDR post, I'm sure you guys pretty much know all this, but I think it's pretty strange when you look into it properly!
    D'you know, in 900 years of space and time, I've never met anyone who wasn't important
    The Doctor
    Taste The Rainbow :heartsmil
  • binz_81
    binz_81 Posts: 434 Forumite
    My kitten is 6 months old and i feed him a pouch of felix or whiskas kitten split into 2 meals a day with a couple of spoonfuls of ownbrand dry kitten.

I hadnt realised til today how little meat was in them after reading this thread and checking the labels.

Problem is i have about 4 1/2 boxes of the pouches left and cant afford to waste them.

His poos are really big, smelly and sometimes soft. Could this be down to his diet?
    Do i have to wait til hes an adult/1 year before i change his diet to raw or adult food with more meat content?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure