Get a grip !

Comments

• Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 May 2017 at 7:25AM
    Yesterday I went to lunch with a friend - Toby carvery again ! However no voucher this time so paid £6.49 and had refillable pepsi max again £2.70 so the total was still under £10.

It was very warm but cloudy for most of the day. In the afternoon I put a load of washing out, gave the bathroom coving a second coat of paint and touched up the scuff marks in the hallway with leftover paint from last year.

I cleared some stuff out of the utility room & put away the screen wash, coolant & de-icer which had accumulated by the front door. Once that was cleared away I cleaned the UPVC front door and it is looking a lot better.

The heat is getting to my feet already and they were quite painful after that, so I sat with my feet up and watched Chelsea flower show :D Its meant to get to 25-30 degrees over the next 2 days so I will have to be careful with my feet. :(

If it gets too hot I have plenty to do indoors. :cool:
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Skint_yet_Again
    edited 24 May 2017 at 7:44AM
    Here's the list so far for this week

paint bathroom ceiling DONE
    paint spare room wall with kitchen/bathroom paint where was damp DONE
    weed alleyway .... DONE 2/3 STILL 1/3 TO DO
    paint hallway where scuffed DONE
    glass to bottle bank DONE
    clear more junk from utility room ......ONGOING
    move car stuff from front door to utility room DONE
    clear paperwork from living room DONE
    glass to bottle bank DONE
    patch up wallpaper in spare room where we had damp
    paint replaced wallpaper in spare room
    sand my bedroom skirtings
    paint my bedroom skirtings

I am pleased at how much I have managed so far and its only Wednesday.

Today I will get DS to go in the loft and get the spare wallpaper and wallpaper paste, brush & bucket etc down. I will need to go to BnQ and paint match a small pot of sunny yellow to patch in with the rest of the wall once the paper is up and dried. I may also do some sanding ready for painting skirtings over the weekend. Bank holiday Monday will be a day of rest !

Tomorrow I am at the diabetes day for 5 hours which includes "a healthy lunch" for £3 and will shop on the way home, other than that not planning anything else for tomorrow.
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    OMG you have done sooooo much. I was just at work and you did all this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SYA I am so proud of you. Try to rest a bit today and enjoy the diabetes day tomorrow.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Skint_yet_Again
    OMG we have mice :eek: :eek: :eek: Oh the shame :o:(

I have been bleaching and cleaning today - no signs in the kitchen but DS gf saw one in their bedroom. They slept in the spare room ;) We have put down traps and bait.

When I went to vacuum my blooming main upright hoover has died a death and is not picking up :( It is a dyson and must be getting on for 15 years old at least. The hose is held together with sellotape ! So I had a quick whizz round with my morphy Richards cordless but it doesn't pick up very well. I usually just use it for upstairs

I have been looking at a vax blade 32v cordless (cant afford dyson prices) with 45min battery life on offer £179.99 down from £299.99 or a vax blade 24v with 35 min battery life down from £279.99 to £159.96. I think it may be worth paying an extra £20 for 10 minutes more battery life. They are similar weight and similar charge time and the reviews are mostly good. Oh decisions, decisions ... it will be on the credit card either way.

Went with DS to garage at 1pm so he could drop his car off for mot and service. Thankfully it passed. We called into morrisons on the way back and he bought us a cooked chicken for lunch which we had with wraps and salad we already had in. Just been and picked it up at 6pm and he has gone to bed for a few hours as he's on nights tonight. If we catch any mice overnight he will have to sort them when he gets home in the morning ewww !!!

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    edited 25 May 2017 at 8:26AM
    Do you remember in the last summer holidays when I heard scratching in the walls???????????? I couldn't sleep and panicked for days. My neice came round in her pjs as she got me some mouse traps as a favour as I wanted them gone!

I was lucky as it turned out one had been scratching from outside the house and didn't come back. I nearly had a heart attack!!!!! So I can sympathise. Don't worry it isn't a reflection on you at all. I hope your son catches it and disposes of it asap. Have a lovely training day and I hope the food is good. You have done so much now you must have some time off and enjoy the holiday.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Thanks SW :)

It is so hot here already today. I have checked online banking & emails and have a load of washing just finishing to hang out. DS has just got in from work and gone to bed. No sign of any critters overnight and none caught in the traps. I'm sure there is one though as it had shredded his carpet by the door, must have been trying to escape as the door was shut ! I have put down some peppermint oil so hopefully that will deter them !! Smells nice anyway :D

Will be leaving soon. Have a good day !

Living off savings diary
  • Skint_yet_Again
    edited 25 May 2017 at 7:41PM
    I have just bought myself a vax blade 32v cordless hoover £179.99 sale price with free delivery on Saturday & free toolkit worth £50. I feel like I have been naughty :o as I have put it on my credit card and I will have to take money from my long term savings. However it is getting harder and harder for me to use an upright heavy hoover and hopefully this will make my life easier so I don't care :p Either way I would have to buy a new hoover as despite my attempts to take apart and clean/rebuild my dyson I think its has died a death after 15 years. I will however phone vax customer service tomorrow as the £10 discount code they sent me for signing up to their emails did not work. Maybe it doesn't work with sale items.

Diabetes conference was really useful today, so I am feeling more positive, and it was really good to speak to others with the same condition.

Spoke to a dietician who told me to go back to GP and get referred and mention her name. Also got contact details for a repeat desmond day and personal referral to NHS wellbeing service.

Lunch was £3 and we had jacket potatoes with tuna, cheese, salad and loads of fruit for lunch. Tea and coffee and water laid on. The venue was in a large park so I had a walk in the sun after lunch as we had an hour.

On the way home I called into Aldi spending £32.77 including lots of meat, salad and milk and that should be it for food shop until payday. I have £1 left in my purse should we need milk from the co-op.

Came home and slept for an hour and a half. Have brought the washing in and I am just going for a walk in the lovely evening sun. DS is in bed till 8.30 then we will have dinner before he goes on nights.

Its meant to be a scorcher here again tomorrow !

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    Hello glad you had such a good day and well done on the new vacuum. OMG the old one lasted 15 years which is a great innings!

It is v hot here and I had to sleep after work as shattered! lol.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    edited 25 May 2017 at 10:29PM
    Gosh it is getting hotter this evening phew ! Windows open and fan on.

I have just found my instruction book and receipt for the dyson (I am a bit of a hoarder of these things) and I bought it in January 2001 on a personal loan from Tempo (remember them, wonder what happened to them? Probably went bust ) at 29.5 % APR :eek:
    It cost £245.99 which was a lot of money back then (still is to me!!) with a 5 year cover plan £39.89 (definitely run out lol) and was charged interest of £177.80 total £463.68 over 48 months £9.68 a month which was all I could afford at the time.

I would of course these days try and get a 0% purchases credit card if I was that desperate. Which I may need to do soon for my TV, which we bought when DS was 18 months old !! It is now taking about 5 minutes for the picture to appear after switching it on and a red light is flashing on the front. It is a sony - huge silver thing and I still have the original DVD player and stand that came with it - the video machine died a death a long time ago. The TV has done well to last 20 years so I may have to look at replacing that soon too, but all the time it keeps working I will keep it !

Living off savings diary
  • Skint_yet_Again
    edited 26 May 2017 at 12:20PM
    I have chatted to vax online as I have lost my voice today ! The £10 off voucher for subscribing to their emails does not work on sale items ! So I have unsubscribed. Look forward to my new hoover arriving tomorrow though :D
    Plans for today

1. at least one load of washing line dried - one load done second load on
    2. sort through 3 bin bags of old bedding - Done
    3. sand skirtings in my bedroom - started

My hover mower blades have arrived but its too hot out there at the moment to cut the grass. I am going to go to homebase later and get some more mouse traps as nothing else seems to be working. The mouse traps we borrowed are "pre-baited" and they don't seem interested in those. I was sat in the living room last night and one stuck its head out from under the sofa and scared the living daylights out of me :eek: I threw my shoe at it lol.

Update - I think the bedroom skirtings are going to be a bigger job than I expected. I have moved the furniture to one side pulled back the carpet and underlay and sanded & washed the skirtings on one wall. I will paint it later then when dry move carpet & furniture back. Then another wall tomorrow.

Living off savings diary
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback