The Open University degree - same as 'normal' degree?

Comments

• LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    good luck tankgirl1 :)
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • I have studied both at standard university and the Open University, I must admit that I found the OU hard at times, it all comes down to your own motivation, there is not the social interaction of the class room, you must knuckle down and do it on your own, yes there are OU study days maybe once every five or six weeks in your area if your lucky, but basically you sail your own ship, I think it is this self motivation that employers respect and want in their work force, an OU student is a driven strong individual when it comes to work, they have to be to be OU students. The books and study material provided by the OU are excellent.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Im not sure this is a reply more a cry of help. I was ment to go to uni this year but decided against this as the student lifestyle doesnt seem to get on with me lol. I really want to get my degree however and hope to do this though the O U. Ive already done a beginers course so know how it works but will my age and the fact Ive chosen this route rather than attending a uni affect how employers view my ( hopefully achieved ) degree????:confused:

Yes: you will demnstrate persistence and determination and will probably be preferred over other candidates.
  • I did an OU degree and received a classification after 360 points.
    You need to get 85% for a first. quote]

You only need 60 credits at 85% you can still get a first with the rest at 70%.

When I started I just wanted to pass a few courses, 8 years later (and four children) I have a First Class!

The OU really allows you to be recignised for your achievements- if like me you are a stay at home mum praise doesn't come along so often!!

I've heard the OU is highly regarded too.

And I also recommend getting onto the FirstClass conferences, they help to combat feelings of isolation.

Good luck! icon14.gif
  • And I also recommend getting onto the FirstClass conferences, they help to combat feelings of isolation.

I must warn you that First Class is very addictive! :D

Sue
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • I did an OU degree and received a classification after 360 points.
    You need to get 85% for a first. quote]

You only need 60 credits at 85% you can still get a first with the rest at 70%.

When I started I just wanted to pass a few courses, 8 years later (and four children) I have a First Class!

The OU really allows you to be recignised for your achievements- if like me you are a stay at home mum praise doesn't come along so often!!

I've heard the OU is highly regarded too.

And I also recommend getting onto the FirstClass conferences, they help to combat feelings of isolation.

Good luck! icon14.gif

I think though that it must be one of your level 3 courses that is a first ie if you get all firsts at level two but 2.1s in any of the level 3 courses you get a 2.1.

Congrats on your first, especially with four kids in tow! :T
  • karen3w
    karen3w Posts: 21 Forumite
    Sorry, I know this is an older thread, but wondered if anyone could tell me if an Open Degree from the Open University is also highly regarded and generally accepted as opposed to a "normal" degree from there, e.g. BA (Honours) Modern Language Studies. I am just starting to study and would prefer to combine some maths and IT with German and french, rather than study English language and linguistics. However, obviously I don't want to waste my time.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    karen3w wrote: »
    Sorry, I know this is an older thread, but wondered if anyone could tell me if an Open Degree from the Open University is also highly regarded and generally accepted as opposed to a "normal" degree from there, e.g. BA (Honours) Modern Language Studies. I am just starting to study and would prefer to combine some maths and IT with German and french, rather than study English language and linguistics. However, obviously I don't want to waste my time.

What are you planning on doing with it?
  • karen3w
    karen3w Posts: 21 Forumite
    At some point I would like to teach languages. First and foremost though I would just like to prove to myself that I can do it, after years of bringing up a family and working for low pay.
  • Bryando
    Bryando Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    I'm doing Law via the OU. I was at a 'brick' university however decided to go to OU. A degree via OU is no different to one obtained via a 'brick' university. There is a few Barristers with a OU degree and Lawyers. So that says it all for me.

I plan to obtain a degree via OU then do the graduate entry to Scottish Law for two years. Then I shall have a LLB in English& LLB in Scots Law.

The OU is great in my opinion however can be annoying. For the sheer fact of at times feeling alone. I am of the opinion that a degree via OU hold much more standing than that of the 'brick' uni. Purely as it shows different qualities in terms of the student.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure