PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    my dried fruit was much too sweet, drat, I don`t want to be wasting it so I`ll have to rinse in water, whenever I use a portion, I soaked and lightly cooked far too much. Yet another few items that I will have to be storing less of, apricots, figs, prunes etc I know they are good for me and I will carry on eating them but no more gung ho wrt soaking and cooking, I`ll just be putting my usual few bits into my porridge oats or oatmeal, blimey there is only so much this short person can eat

I have decided that I really, on the whole, don`t like or look forward to, my `put it all` in a pan soups. That says it all, so I dug out my unused soups recipe book, covent garden `a soup a day`, found a march recipe for today as I have celery and cashews, it had to be celery and cashew. I halved the recipe and added a small head of broccoli. It only takes 750 ml of stock and no onion, so already there will be a difference as I add onion to everything. Then it gets whizzed and put through a sieve, so will be nice and smooth

I have the last picking of runner beans, took them down yesterday, I still had a lot though. I`ll have to eat runners every day, I cannot bear to freeze any more. It will have to be something with veg for my last meal

Thank goodness I made chocolate cake yesterday
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 October 2017 at 9:03AM
    All this talk of disliking batch soups and various other soups - I agree. While I love to have the option of choosing a soup if I'm out - and I do like to have a tin of chunky soup in the cupboard to eat, on a whim, .... I do feel overwhelmed by a whole slow cooker of soup to be eaten.

I made one yesterday and, while it was nice yesterday, I really don't feel any need or desire to eat that one again for years... but I have two more portions to get through.... and I can't freeze them as that doesn't make them go away.

Soups are nice .... but not lots of the same one....

I think I prefer simple root veg soups, chunky. The one I made yesterday was nice, but I didn't have spuds, which would've made it better.

So, today, I have to eat soup .... probably twice to see the back of it.

Soup is nice as a choice ... but not when you have to force feed it to yourself. And, CFO ... there's one ... nobody to palm it off to.

I think I should stick to making them in the nuker in 10-15 minutes....not sitting in the house for 5-6 hours while an entire VAT of it cooks up!

I'll develop a "go to" list of chunky soups I think this winter. :) ... and try a few new tins.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I used to cry when I cut up onions years ago, but I don't now. Maybe it is something that they have modified in the onions?

I saw today that Morrissons are doing a £5 veg box, it seems like it is good value. I don't usually shop there, but I might think about it now.Morrisons Veg Box Launches for £5 (And It'll Feed a Family of 4 for 5 Days) - Skint Dad

I had a sandwich with spinach, cherry toms, vegan mayo and yellow mustard for breakfast with my usual green tea. I have a lovely mango in my fruit bowl that will be devoured later.:D

I had a huge salad with spicy beanburgers for dinner last night.

I'm not sure what I'm having for lunch and dinner today. I know I have to use things up so I will have to work out my meals later on.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Me, I love soup. Its my go to standby when I cba cooking or I am feeling poorly. I never make small quantities and the freezer always has a good selection, at the moment I've managed to get it down to -
    Butternut Squash x 3
    Cauliflower Cheese x 2
    Chicken, Rice & Sweetcorn x 2
    Kidney bean & red pepper x 2
    Scotch Broth x 2
    Split Pea x 4
    Emergency supplies of tinned tomato x 2

Just call me the "soup junkie" :D
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    kittie wrote: »

I have decided that I really, on the whole, don`t like or look forward to, my `put it all` in a pan soups. That says it all, so I dug out my unused soups recipe book, covent garden `a soup a day`, found a march recipe for today as I have celery and cashews, it had to be celery and cashew. I halved the recipe and added a small head of broccoli. It only takes 750 ml of stock and no onion, so already there will be a difference as I add onion to everything. Then it gets whizzed and put through a sieve, so will be nice and smooth
    I agree I think sling it all in soups can sometimes end up tasting a bit sludgy:(. What about salting the excess runners?
    All this talk of disliking batch soups and various other soups - I agree. While I love to have the option of choosing a soup if I'm out - and I do like to have a tin of chunky soup in the cupboard to eat, on a whim, .... I do feel overwhelmed by a whole slow cooker of soup to be eaten.

I made one yesterday and, while it was nice yesterday, I really don't feel any need or desire to eat that one again for years... but I have two more portions to get through.... and I can't freeze them as that doesn't make them go away.

Soups are nice .... but not lots of the same one....

I think I prefer simple root veg soups, chunky. The one I made yesterday was nice, but I didn't have spuds, which would've made it better.

So, today, I have to eat soup .... probably twice to see the back of it.

Soup is nice as a choice ... but not when you have to force feed it to yourself. And, CFO ... there's one ... nobody to palm it off to.

I think I should stick to making them in the nuker in 10-15 minutes....not sitting in the house for 5-6 hours while an entire VAT of it cooks up!

I'll develop a "go to" list of chunky soups I think this winter. :) ... and try a few new tins.
    See to my mind that's exactly why I have a freezer so I don't need to plow my way through a lot of something for days. That way I can enjoy it as much each time I have it as I did when I first made it.
    Me, I love soup. Its my go to standby when I cba cooking or I am feeling poorly. I never make small quantities and the freezer always has a good selection, at the moment I've managed to get it down to -
    Butternut Squash x 3
    Cauliflower Cheese x 2
    Chicken, Rice & Sweetcorn x 2
    Kidney bean & red pepper x 2
    Scotch Broth x 2
    Split Pea x 4
    Emergency supplies of tinned tomato x 2

Just call me the "soup junkie" :D
    That's an impressive selection:D

Must be soup-making week in CFO-land. I'm just off to make a pot of lentil & bacon. (Though I'll be sharing some of it later as my sister & probably my Dad are coming for lunch.

Holly - you've given me a right notion for cod and parsley sauce. I have cod,parsley & white sauce in the freezer so I think that will be dinner tonight. I've mash frozen or I might steam a spud and I've broad beans and a few runners to use which will go well with that :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 October 2017 at 10:29AM
    I saw today that Morrissons are doing a £5 veg box, it seems like it is good value. I don't usually shop there, but I might think about it now......Morrisons Veg Box Launches for £5 (And It'll Feed a Family of 4 for 5 Days) ...
    Feeds four for five days.... that's 20 meals.... that's too much "gotta eat all this up" going on in one box :) I'll look to see what's in it.

Morries is a 12 mile round trip for me, so I rarely go - and the store there is quite small. I do wish shops would put their floor square footage of retail space on their website/store details so any two can be compared for size easily enough .... I'd be prepared to try out another store if I could see it were, say, a 16 mile round trip in the other direction, but twice the size.

I just checked, the next nearest is a 30 mile round trip. The 3rd nearest is a 40 mile round trip.

I had a look - they do a wonky veg for £1, that's got:
    "Wonky Veg selection includes:
    8x Wonky Potatoes, 4x Wonky Carrots, 4x Wonky Onions,
    1x Wonky Cauliflower, 1x Wonky Cabbage,
    3x Wonky Parsnips, 1x Wonky Swede"

That's a lot of food for £1!

The £5 box has:
    "Seasonal selection includes:
    4x White Potatoes, 4x Brown Onions, 5x Carrots,
    2x Courgettes, 2x Leeks, 1x Savoy Cabbage,
    1x Cauliflower & 1x Swede "
    I'd not want courgettes or leeks.
  • I had a look - they do a wonky veg for £1, that's got:
    "Wonky Veg selection includes:
    8x Wonky Potatoes, 4x Wonky Carrots, 4x Wonky Onions,
    1x Wonky Cauliflower, 1x Wonky Cabbage,
    3x Wonky Parsnips, 1x Wonky Swede"

That's a lot of food for £1!

Wow, that is cheap!:)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    That's a lot of veg for £1:eek:,
    I think the £5 one sounds like ok value - depends on the size of the items. Certainly all veg I'd use and most would keep ok for a good 2-3 weeks. If Morrison's delivered here I'd certainly try them:)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 3 October 2017 at 11:42AM
    I used to cry when I cut up onions years ago, but I don't now. Maybe it is something that they have modified in the onions?

I saw today that Morrissons are doing a £5 veg box, it seems like it is good value. I don't usually shop there, but I might think about it now.Morrisons Veg Box Launches for £5 (And It'll Feed a Family of 4 for 5 Days) - Skint Dad

I had a sandwich with spinach, cherry toms, vegan mayo and yellow mustard for breakfast with my usual green tea. I have a lovely mango in my fruit bowl that will be devoured later.:D

I had a huge salad with spicy beanburgers for dinner last night.

I'm not sure what I'm having for lunch and dinner today. I know I have to use things up so I will have to work out my meals later on.

Good idea in principle. In practice - I think that box might possibly do 2 people for 5 days - but it certainly wouldnt do a family of 4. Very over-optimistic of Morrisons to say that it would do.

The "wonky veg bag" for £1 sounds good value for those eating non-organically.

Pastures - I do agree re the square footage of shops. As you can imagine - I'm used to huge shops. Huge supermarkets/decent size Marks & Spencer/etc/etc. Since moving here I could really do with comparative square footage of shops being put on shop websites - so that I could think "Right - that Marks & Spencer is a quarter of the size I'm used to. That supermarket is one-third of the size I'm used to and with only x% of the product range I'm used to" and I'd know more where I stood as to what I was expecting. We all have an image in our head of what we are anticipating and judge by what we know and I know a friend of mine was most disappointed going to a chain store that had opened some distance away from us - as a local friend of ours had said it was "huge". Original friend came back to me and said "Local friend said it was huge - but it's tiny!".
  • poppystar
    poppystar Posts: 1,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Good idea in principle. In practice - I think that box might possibly do 2 people for 5 days - but it certainly wouldnt do a family of 4. Very over-optimistic of Morrisons to say that it would do.

Looking at the contents I agree. Also I'm not sure it is any cheaper than buying the contents loose/individually. I bought similar (minus the swede as I'm too feeble these days to get into one!) for less than £4 from Mr T.

Unless you plan your meals around them there may well also be wastage of the 'don't really know what to do with that' or 'noone likes cabbage here' variety. Or even for CFOs the 'too much that needs eating soon':(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure