Potential new offer after accepting with another company

Options
Hi,

I'm after some advice or your opinion on what I should do with my work dilemma.

I applied for two jobs on the 19th October. One being my preferred choice. The second one I'd applied for rang up on the 27th inviting me for an interview. All was good I got the job and verbally accepted the offer. They were fine for me to sign the contract once I'd started.

I handed in my resignation to my current employer for the 1st December being my final day and all counter offers/persuasion tactics from them to get me to stay have failed.

Now on the 9th November my 1st choice rang up and said they'd like to interview me. Gone today and received good feedback. They had to go through 450 applicants and it's between me and someone else so they just want another chat and a test on how I use/get on with their systems. This is on the 23rd.

So assuming I get the offer what do I do? Ask for a start date of the 4th December and be honest with them? I'm worried in case they would not want me to start till Jan expecting a month's notice would be required. I cant afford a month unemployed. I would not want to work for the other company for a month then leave. Also it would be an awkward conversation asking my current employer if I can extend my resignation date ( if that is even possible).

What are your thoughts

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Shippers87 wrote: »
    Also it would be an awkward conversation asking my current employer if I can extend my resignation date ( if that is even possible).

This depends on the management culture and only you know that one. Given they haven't placed you on gardening leave I'd suggest that door may be open to discussion.

I'd also suggest doing nothing until you receive an unconditional job offer from your preferred.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • General_Grant
    Options
    If you are offered the first choice job and you really cannot afford to miss a month's pay, then your choices are (a) try to negotiate where you are for a month month's employment; (b) start and then leave the second best job; (c) start the first choice job at shorter notice if they are happy for you to start then.

One point - if they are slow at making an offer to you and do not seek references until very close to 1 December then your current employer may be in the position of providing a reference saying you have left. Even companies who do not provide detailed references/opinions will confirm fact of having been employed and the employment (start and) end date.

I'd go for (c).
  • Shippers87
    Options
    Ideally if I got the job i'd go for c too. How honest should I be? I really would prefer to be transparent l, but concerned it would look really bad by the fact I was turning down my first choice. In regards to my current employer, I had one of the directors have a chat with me yesterday basically singing my praises that they are gutted to loose me and sorry they didn't spot my hard work and appreciate me sooner so I have a great relationship with them and would not be leaving on bad terms but potentially with a week to go before my last day I'd have to ask for an extension which by that time it may be too late
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If your current employer thinks so highly of you, why not ask for a month's extension? What do you have to lose?

I would counsel against starting with your second choice then leaving after a few weeks as that will produce nothing but ill-feeling on their part, which may come back to haunt you; who knows? Surely the best thing to do in this situation is to try to put yourself in other people's shoes:

Were you your current employer, who apparently does not want to lose you, would you keep yourself on for another month? Obviously yes.

Were you your second choice, would you prefer to be told the truth now so you can hire someone who actually wants to be there or to be messed about and potentially have to go through the whole costly recruitment process again? No brainer.

I second the opinion that you are perhaps jumping the gun if your preferred employer has not yet made a firm decision to employ you.

You tend (in a just world) to get back what you give out. If you offer people respect and consideration you should be able to expect these back from those you deal with. (In practice, this does not happen nearly as often as it should) If you think you can just use an employer as a stop-gap for a month, don't be surprised if you find yourself without a job or a reference. This is the age of social media, after all.

I think you know what you should do. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure