NST Super September Scrimping challenge

Options

Comments

• thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    f0xh0les wrote: »
    Heating still firmly off in the L'shire, mentioned it on the playground and was surprised the amount of people who have theirs on already. People really fall for the nonsense that kids must be kept at a steady 18 degrees.
    Those nursery thermometers that you stick to the wall are the culprit I bet. The ones with HOT, OK and TOO COLD you get in the baby packs.

In my case it's the DH that needs convincing. If he just would get dressed first thing in the morning rather than wandering about in his thin dressing gown, it wouldn't be an issue. So far it's still off though

All kids sent in with packed lunches £2.20 a day is a bargain for school dinners but with 4 kids =£8.80 a day, which will make them ALL lunches for a week including extra drinks.So pack ups it is,

Luckily another 2 years for DS of free lunches.

Feeling soup-dragon like at the minute. It feels a little bit Autumny. And now I have mastered dough balls, home made soup and dough ball
    s is apparently a suitable supper as long as it is followed by ice cream.
    I love it, it is packed with veg, and low fat, and cost pence. Win, win, win.

Please share your dough ball recipe. Got a massive soup recipe book and will get that out soon again too.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • redofromstart
    Options
    5/30 a no spending day (YSd veg spend)
    27.85/500 on groceries - all spends recorded. Doing this is prompting me to update the spreadsheet which is good
    Dinner: Sausages and mash (sausages from freezer, veg from freezer, YSd potatoes for mash, bad gravy from jar). Also roasting a chicken for packed lunch meat - again RTC from freezer
    Time for me: Busy day again, but bath and book later.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No spends still (thanks everyone for the advice:) ) so doing well with that.....however, no exercise today as I've been on the road all day and am wiped!!
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Evening all :)
    Managed a SFD :T
    Used up various food bits and leftovers. One use up backfired on me a bit though, as I made chilli jam, and mistakenly used preserving sugar (that I had in the cupboard) instead of jam sugar, and it hasn't set :( I googled, and they are different. So I now have 6 jars of sweet chilli sauce, which I guess isn't all that bad!
    Not managed much exercise, just a dog walk which involved lots of stopping and sniffing (the dog that is, not me!)
    Haven't bothered cooking dinner tonight, as OH went to a meeting which provided food, and I am happy to eat some bits that we already have rather than cooking more :)
    Will need to do a shop tomorrow probably, as I am running out of basics such as flour. I will take a list, and it will not be a long one!
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Evening :hello:
    Just a quick check in from me to report another nsd. Another busy, but loads better at work today than my horrid Year 10 class from yesterday. I have them again tomorrow for 2 hours which had better be an improvement on yesterday.
    Other than that - all is quiet, and I'm already quite tired.
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Day 6
    redofromstart, DawnW, thriftylass and greent
    - Thanks regarding the temp job. Only did some of the training for the job. Have not done a few things before even though I have temped in schools offices before.
    Earned another SFD so now standing at 4/18.
    Walked today 10 minutes each way from bus stop to/from the school.
    Took my lunch to work. Was told school lunch costs £3.
    Read my book on one of the buses which is a long journey and also at lunchtime.
    Got paid the training for the other bank staff I joined. Did phone for one temp job but no luck. They send temp alerts for available work.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,282 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Check in day 6. SFD 3/18. Groceries £97.50/£400. No heating on yet. Exercise walk to work and back plus 30 minutes in work gym at lunchtime. Always take my lunch to work anyway. No coffee shops etc. Always have me time - coffee and a read of my book when I get home from work and a nice soak in the bath later.

Loving this challenge so far, it's really keeping me on the straight and narrow :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Dh changed the bed today and asked me if I wanted the winter duvet on. I replied that I was fine at the mo - he concurred - and mentioned that the heating is off until October. Bless him, he didn't flinch one bit! He can always work at his computer desk with warm air fom the base unit keeping him toasty, if necessary.

Today I am grateful for paying in some money at the bank, for plenty of walking, for getting even more paperwork done, for enjoying the teaching I did, for a quickish journey home, for a warm afternoon, for a yummy tea, for getting on with more of my bunnies, for feeling on top of things.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi SeptemberScrimpers,
    Check-in 6/30.
    Not a SFD but am.not concerned by lack of these as I think we are doing very well considering that we are on holiday. We are using our designated cash bag for all food spends & if we want anything else, we're using our monthly personal spends. Free coffee today courtesy of National Trust loyalty card. Camping is fun (I wasn't saying that last night when 5 hours of pounding rain started fetching water through our tent seams!) & much more affordable than other options.
    Exercise goal - Yes, already done about 8000/7000 steps. Total will probably be about 8500 today.
    Time for me? Lots of it. Love watching the sea.
    Been chatting to mr f about our frugal autumn & he's all for it. Soon be back in our routines at home & will be tweaking all sorts of things to save a few £££s here & there.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • vintagebrighton
    Options
    Check in 6/30 and another NSD for me :D

No money left out of our £40 food budget for this week but have enough food till Friday. Chicken soup tonight using stock and chicken from the freezer and a few fridge veg.

No exercise done today. Went out but came back pretty sharpish cos I felt a bit wobbly.

Me time - reading. Have about 4 books on the go and keep forgetting about them!

Still no heating and don't really feel like we need it yet. Mind you, the guests might disagree :rotfl:

VB x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport