The New Adventures of Fortune

Fortune_Smiles
Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,033 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
edited 18 February 2017 at 11:45AM in Mortgage-free wannabe
It is possible to move a mountain by carrying small stones

A new chapter.

We have spent a very happy 11 years in the Garden of England but are now looking to make a move. The winds are favourable and time is still on our side. I know it’s the right decision and I’m excited… and terrified.

It’s a fabulous opportunity to plan the next stage of our lives and realise our dreams. But I’m finding the size of the task daunting and know I am dragging my feet.

My diary has been invaluable in helping me to reach my goals in the past so I’m going to focus these new pages on making good decisions and progressing the move. It would be lovely to have some company on the journey and any advice, support or general cheerleading would be very much appreciated.

If I’m to move a mountain I’d better get on with carrying stones.

Fortune x

PS If you’d like to see my previous adventures you can find them here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais

Comments

• We have chosen an Estate Agent and agreed costs. Next stones to carry are:
    • read the contract thoroughly
    • check the details in the property questionnaire
    I have met with a Financial Adviser and have a good idea of what products will be available to us. We have decided our bottom line on the house sale, our top line on a house purchase and mortgage term. Next stones to carry are:
    • research Adviser's company
    • bolster our savings to cover the costs of moving - 75% achieved so far
    • anything we can save over and above these will go towards a future emergency savings fund.
    • continue our contribution to DS's house deposit.
    We've started preparing the house. I've used local FB sales sites and Fleabay to earn some extra cash and declutter. A friend has donated lots of boxes from her recent house move for us to fill. Next stones to carry are:
    • list any unsold FB sales items on Fleabay
    • work through each room in the house to identify other items to sell
    • pack photographs and other personal items ready for photographs.
    • file 10 pieces of paper each day (happy to say I've done this for 2 days running now
    • review one file each day and discard redundant information
    • delete 10 floppy discs each day. Mr F has about 200 he has kept from centuries ago :rotfl: He isn't happy about putting these in the bin so I am opening each of them up to get to the actual disc so we can shred them. I've done 20 so far :eek: I know you can wipe the data with a strong magnet but a) we don't have a strong magnet and b) how do you know that the data has actually gone when you no longer have a floppy disc drive?
    • clean at least one room each day

Other stones:
    • get further conveyancing quotes
    • continue to research the area we'd like to move to

I think that should give me a small rockery :rotfl:

Is there anything else I should be thinking about at this stage? Tips and advice would be very appreciated.

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    :hello:

Happy New Diary Fortune!

Duly subscribed & looking forward to keeping you company in your next leg of the journey!

XO
    RT
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • rtandon27 wrote: »
    :hello:

Happy New Diary Fortune!

Duly subscribed & looking forward to keeping you company in your next leg of the journey!

XO
    RT

Thank you RT - nice to know I'm not alone out here in the world of new diaries :j

Fortune x
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Great a new diary for a new mission. Hope there is still going to be plenty of cooking - I have picked up loads of recipe ideas from your previous diary : )
  • Busy_Mee1 wrote: »
    Great a new diary for a new mission. Hope there is still going to be plenty of cooking - I have picked up loads of recipe ideas from your previous diary : )

And then there were three :D Hi there Busy Mee. Yes, there'll be plenty of cooking - we'll still need to eat :rotfl: Might need to give the painting and writing a miss for a while though.

Fortune x
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,262 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary for the next part of life's rich journey :) xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Mint1955
    Mint1955 Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Subscribed and along for the ride. I have read every day from your old diary and have clapped and cried appropriately. Now it's time for change so well done on the journey so far and good luck as you plan the future xx
    Living the dream and retired in Cyprus :j

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5105296
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Happy new diary.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Typical me - I start to post on a diary just as it's closing down :rotfl:

Subscribing here too and settling in for the new adventures :)
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
  • beanielou wrote: »
    Happy shiny new diary for the next part of life's rich journey :) xx

Yay Beanie! It wouldn't feel right without you here :D
    Mint1955 wrote: »
    Subscribed and along for the ride. I have read every day from your old diary and have clapped and cried appropriately. Now it's time for change so well done on the journey so far and good luck as you plan the future xx

What a trooper you are Mint to stick with me through all those pages. Glad you feel up to seeing me through the new chapter :cool:
    XSpender wrote: »
    Happy new diary.

Hello XSpender - another familiar face. Glad to see you.

Fortune x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure