Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Comments

• mgarl10024
    mgarl10024 Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had a regular saver with TSB, when it matured they switched it to some account paying diddly-squat. I emptied it then rang them to close it and they said I had to either write a letter or go into a branch to close it. This I'm going to do but they've got a nerve, making me to go out of my way to close an account I didn't even open.

I had the same. Raised it to CEO level and they just weren't interested. The chap from the CEO's office was actually quite rude. I haven't opened another RS with them.
  • hgt
    hgt Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    mgarl10024 wrote: »
    I had the same. Raised it to CEO level and they just weren't interested. The chap from the CEO's office was actually quite rude. I haven't opened another RS with them.

Yes this is a ploy employed by all brands that run on Lloyds Banking Group IT systems (Lloyds, Halifax, BoS, TSB) where they don't let you close the majority of accounts online. Just keep the account open as that way the bank loses out when they have to pay postage to send you a statement for a nill balance every year!
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It'll really hurt them if you don't save with them.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    hgt wrote: »
    Yes this is a ploy employed by all brands that run on Lloyds Banking Group IT systems (Lloyds, Halifax, BoS, TSB) where they don't let you close the majority of accounts online. Just keep the account open as that way the bank loses out when they have to pay postage to send you a statement for a nill balance every year!
    The new Lloyds online system allows savings accounts to be closed by the customer. TSB never adopted this system.
  • mgarl10024
    colsten wrote: »
    It'll really hurt them if you don't save with them.

I know what you're saying. My £250/mth probably isn't going to bring down the TSB empire. ;)

Rather than a "I'm really angry and wont save with them out of principle even if I spite myself because they have market leading rates (they don't)" sort of way, it's more of a "I can get the same 2% RS in many places which don't cause this hassle so in the current market I'll go elsewhere" sort of way.

It's hassle-minimisation rather than vengeance.

That said, the response from the CEO's office was very disappointing, and given an *equal* offering, I would opt elsewhere.
  • mgarl10024 wrote: »
    I know what you're saying. My £250/mth probably isn't going to bring down the TSB empire. ;)

Rather than a "I'm really angry and wont save with them out of principle even if I spite myself because they have market leading rates (they don't)" sort of way, it's more of a "I can get the same 2% RS in many places which don't cause this hassle so in the current market I'll go elsewhere" sort of way.

It's hassle-minimisation rather than vengeance.

That said, the response from the CEO's office was very disappointing, and given an *equal* offering, I would opt elsewhere.

Good for you. It's amazing how many people in life these days are willing to forget their principles in order to make what nowadays has become a pittance. It's this way of behaviour that results in children working in factories and the like.
  • elektra
    elektra Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Pleased to say that Santander now let you open a Regular Saver online.

A very quick process and it opened and appeared on-screen immediately. :)
  • mgarl10024
    elektra wrote: »
    Pleased to say that Santander now let you open a Regular Saver online.

A very quick process and it opened and appeared on-screen immediately. :)

Do you have to set up your own SO, or does the process do that for you?
  • elektra
    elektra Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Do you have to set up your own SO, or does the process do that for you?

Set your own SO up, but that was quick and easy to do as well.
  • Jo_Blogs
    Jo_Blogs Posts: 753 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 16 March 2017 at 4:08PM
    Virgin Money - New as from today

Regular E-Saver Issue 4 £250 pm 2.25%

There's also a parallel Store version for those who can easily get to one. (Issue 3)

http://uk.virginmoney.com/savings/find/results/#all (easy access)
    Saved Nitty Gritty £7440.75 [149%] / £5000-[Sep] £58.44:starmod: for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £3463.27 ;)Sept NSDs 4/15:staradminCCCChl 9/12 months:D
    Sept PPChl#002 Pts 71
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family