Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• eihpos
    eihpos Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I signed up to Sky yesterday. Never been a customer before and my partner has been Sky customer for 14 years but cancelled it last year. The best deal he was offered was just over £40.

Whilst browsing the website the web chat popped up, so I said I was after the Family bundle, Unlimited BB, phone line (free weekend calls), Sky+ HD box and was quoted £52.15 as their "best deal for new customers" plus the sound bar and £100 voucher. As I already have a sound bar, I asked if they could do better on the price if I forfeited the freebies. This brought the price down to £43.90 a month. However I still wasn't happy, and he asked me what my budget was. I said nearer £30, so they offered £40.15 for the Variety bundle (etc) plus £75 bill credit. I worked this out per month and asked if they could bring the monthly price down, if I forfeit the bill credit. Then they said i could have 2 months for free. Again i requested this be forfeited and used to bring the price down. So we were at £33.15 for the Variety bundle, but I was after the Family bundle. So the new quote was £35.65. Plus £45 one off cost and a £50 voucher. I asked if they could wipe the cost and not send the voucher, and the one off cost was lowered to £30, but I still get the £50 voucher.

So I'm happy to pay my £35.65 a month and got everything I wanted...oh and to top it all off, as I had gone through the TopCashBack before I started chatting, I got £126 cash back!
    :money:
  • andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    eihpos wrote: »
    I signed up to Sky yesterday. Never been a customer before and my partner has been Sky customer for 14 years but cancelled it last year. The best deal he was offered was just over £40.

Whilst browsing the website the web chat popped up, so I said I was after the Family bundle, Unlimited BB, phone line (free weekend calls), Sky+ HD box and was quoted £52.15 as their "best deal for new customers" plus the sound bar and £100 voucher. As I already have a sound bar, I asked if they could do better on the price if I forfeited the freebies. This brought the price down to £43.90 a month. However I still wasn't happy, and he asked me what my budget was. I said nearer £30, so they offered £40.15 for the Variety bundle (etc) plus £75 bill credit. I worked this out per month and asked if they could bring the monthly price down, if I forfeit the bill credit. Then they said i could have 2 months for free. Again i requested this be forfeited and used to bring the price down. So we were at £33.15 for the Variety bundle, but I was after the Family bundle. So the new quote was £35.65. Plus £45 one off cost and a £50 voucher. I asked if they could wipe the cost and not send the voucher, and the one off cost was lowered to £30, but I still get the £50 voucher.

So I'm happy to pay my £35.65 a month and got everything I wanted...oh and to top it all off, as I had gone through the TopCashBack before I started chatting, I got £126 cash back!
    :money:

Not sure how you'll get topcashback, but a decent deal either way.
  • gaz4uk
    gaz4uk Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Just managed to haggle my Sky bill from £60.50 down to £43 a month, after an hour chatting with the live help advisor. First time I've tried anything like this so chuffed about it! :-)
    Personal Total debt Jan 2013 - £24,393.00
    Debt today - £15,581
  • eihpos
    Options
    andrewmp wrote: »
    Not sure how you'll get topcashback, but a decent deal either way.

I originally clicked through to the Sky website via Topcashback, so it tracked that I was a new customer and made had a purchase (the Sky chat person sent me links with the discounts on so it tracked these too). The cash back is showing in my account so it seems to have worked out nicely :j
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As I posted earlier, I called sky on Monday, to do a phone/bb deal and was offered free broadband with line rental saver, as free line rental was not available. This came to £16.70, with Anytime calls. I was also offered Variety tv for £14.

I dithered, as I'd really wanted free line rental, so the call centre person said he would call me back later that day..but didn't .

I'm glad, because I realised that the offer was at least £18 a year dearer than PlusNet (£48.12, if there was a £2.50 charge for not having tv).

Today, I spoke to Louis, in Derby,and within minutes was offered what I wanted, ie free line rental. I asked about tv and was agin offered Variety for £14, with the broadband down from £10 to £7.50.

I was then passd to tv reconnections, chatted with Anthony and was given an extra £10 credit because he enjoyed our chat.

Asking for more credit was, I thought , too cheeky.
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    I was then passd to tv reconnections, chatted with Anthony and was given an extra £10 credit because he enjoyed our chat.
    Lol, of course he did. Nothing to do with throwing it in to get a positive reaction from a customer at all.
  • teddysmum
    Options
    KTF wrote: »
    Lol, of course he did. Nothing to do with throwing it in to get a positive reaction from a customer at all.
    I don't mind.

The Derby people are certainly more forthcoming than those at the Glasgow call centre.
  • Jonmaddock
    Options
    ive just gone onto the My Sky section and no offers are available, so went on live chat and they offered me nothing at all,
    " if there are no offers on that section then we have no offers available"
    still waiting on a money off flyer to come through the post, skys been off 3 weeks,
    is there a pattern to when you recieve these flyers?
    cheers
  • teddysmum
    Options
    I didn't receive any, either during the notice period or after my tv was cut off. I got my deal by calling about phone and bb; the first beinga so so offer,but the second just what I wanted ie free line rental and half price tv (plus £10 credit, which I didn't have to ask for).
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    I didn't receive any, either during the notice period or after my tv was cut off. I got my deal by calling about phone and bb; the first beinga so so offer,but the second just what I wanted ie free line rental and half price tv (plus £10 credit, which I didn't have to ask for).

I need to phone at the weekend to sort out my LR/BB - free line rental coming to an end. TV already sorted on a half price deal in July.

I take it you just went through the thinking of leaving options and quoted some deals from other providers?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure