BT Complaints & Escalation

Options

Comments

• greigster
    Options
    After receiving my price increase email, I phoned on 15th and asked to terminate my contract due to price increases. I was told that I would have to pay for the rest of my broadband contract but I re-affirmed that I wished to leave due to the price increases. I asked for my MAC code but not yet received it even though I am near the end of the fifth working day since giving my 30 day notice....is it normal to keep you waiting until the end of the 5 days?, seems a bit bloody minded to me
  • robzz
    Options
    Our Internet has been dropping out for some weeks, just for a minute or so at a time, but enough for everything to drop! BT complaints are a total waste of space. After 2 different departments doing the same thing, we have had our line recalibrated; I have done the work of an enigineer - As God forbid thay should actually send one out... Do they actually exist anymore?

They now say I need a new router - again. But The fact they had accidently sent a new one previously and have already swapped them with the same drop outs. They still say it is the fault of my router. Hilarious!! But Pathetic.

They now will not do anything as I am out of contract and refused to be held to ransom to take a further 12 months on a service that does not work properly!

Where on earth is BT's sense? Is that actually legal? "your service does not work, but you must pay again before we fix it"

I have had it with these people! I welcome suggestions on how I escalate this to the highest levels?
  • BT_company_representative
    BT_company_representative Posts: 1,861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Robzz,

I am sorry to hear you are having a few problems with your connection. I would like to take a look at the details of your complaint. Please send me in your details using the link found in my profile.

Thanks

Paddy
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • hissy1701
    Options
    It is crazy, this is the second failed installation in 2 weeks due to BT guessing our address, dosent matter what you write when you place the order!
  • candyspacemedia
    candyspacemedia Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 4 November 2014 at 2:41PM
    Options
    I'm posting on here in desperation and in the vain hope that BT company representative can help our company...

I will endeavour to keep this as short as I can!

I have tried to explain the complexity of our situation with BT billing over the phone but the people in their Asian call centres either do not understand the situation or just keep fobbing me off (probably both).

I have a nightmarish situation with a phone system order that our company placed with BT back in January / February this year. Once you place an order with BT business they pass you over to BT Local Business (BTLB). The order was placed and fulfilled OK (which was a first for them). We were told by BTLB that we had to pay upfront for the phone system which we did to the tune of just over £8000. Even though we were long standing BT business customers we just assumed that this was because of the cost of the system or some new policy... in hindsight we should have instantly questioned this but hindsight is a wonderful thing indeed!

What we didn't realise at the time was that BTLB had in fact raised the order under a new account number and not our existing "one bill" account.

In April we received an additional bill from BT for over £1000 for additional services on the phone system that we had not ordered as far as I could tell.

At this point I contacted BTLB to question this and after chasing my contact for over 2 months and receiving no response whatsoever, I finally got hold off him. He seemed to think this bill was incorrect and unnecessary and he said he would contact BT billing. After speaking to them (apparently) he said that it would take a few days to get it revolved with them.

I never heard anything back from BTLB even after chasing my contact half a dozen times during the following month.

In July we received a bill under our actually one bill account for almost £8500 which was mostly made up of the same phone system.

Since that date I have been emailing BTLB (and calling) trying to get them to deal with the this mess unsuccessfully.

In July I decided to contact BT billing support from an online chat during which I discovered that the payment we had made back in February was in fact a deposit against the system and was not due to be refunded until the middle of 2015!! This completely blew me away as this had never been explained to us by BTLB at any point.

I told the BT online support rep about my issue with getting BTLB to resolve this mess for us and he took both my contact's email address and his manager's (whom I'd emailed myself and never received a response from) and said that they would chase them as well.

Apparently it had to be BTLB who resolved the issue as they had made the error in the first place.

Between July and October I tried to contact BTLB multiple times to get them to take the necessary action but received no response at all.

In October I finally spoke to one of the colleagues of my contact at BTLB after threatening to make a complaint with BT and he said that I had to raise the complaint with the official BTLB complaints team. This would then in turn be noted by BT to ensure that the complaint was dealt with (or something along those lines).

Since sending this complaint 15 working days ago they have not even responded to it...

I am at a complete loss what to do next hence my registration here on MSE!

I can see that the BT rep on here is active so I just hope that I can speak to someone that might understand our problem and be able to get this billing issue sorted once and for all (and also give BTLB a kick up the proverbial!!)

I think it's safe to say that our relationship with BT as a business partner has been irrevocably damaged!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I can see that the BT rep on here is active
    Contact him direct here;
    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4950
  • Old_Grumps
    Options
    I left BT a few years ago due to the worst customer service (dis-service?) I have ever experienced. I had to write to the CEO to get the problem resolved in the end ...... sadly it seems that things haven't improved.
    I won't be going back to them anytime soon for two reasons:
    1. Awful customer service .... they appear to have learned nothing.
    2. They are expensive.

Old Grumps.
  • Jackthedog
    Options
    BT customer customer service are driving me up the wall.....Here is the story...

In mid August I requested a Mac code and informed them that I was cancelling my phone line rental and infinity 2 with them. The end date was to be the 18th September 2014. However, I was transferred over on the 17th...a surprise but my new provider was very efficient and the new service was running from that date.

We had a series of letters saying that they were sorry that we were leaving them etc etc. This appeared to confirm that everything had gone through.

(All well and good but I had heard of some of the issues with BT billing so I cancelled the direct debit they had with my bank account....good decision as it turned out.)

The 'final bill' was in late September which contained a credit for £11.27 which was all well and good. HOWEVER, to our surprise we were billed for Infinity option 2 from the 18th - £8.76 for the remainder of September and an additional bill in advance for a sum of £30.17 for October. So they were then claiming that we then owed them a total of 27.88.

Since then I have been emailed, sent letters and had numerous phone calls regarding my failure to pay the bill. With late fees the bill had built up to £67.55 (but that did include the credit of 11.27 they gave us when the service ended so in effect they were asking for £78.82).

I have twice managed after some effort got through to the 'cancellations' department who were very reassuring and said they would sort the problem out. Latterly their agents did stop calling every day and we thought it had all been sorted ...

Then I get an email saying your final bill is ready.. oh good thinks I at last we will get the amount they owe us.... Well no - they are still demanding cash but have helpfully reduced our deficit by £21.14 from the date that they cancelled our non-existent service! So we only owe them (they say) £46.14...when in effect they owe us money...

After a couple of hours phoning them we seem to be getting nowhere and it is driving us nuts!!!!

Any suggestions as to where we go next as the customer service people just don't seen to follow-up on anything despite their assurances ....
  • BT_company_representative
    BT_company_representative Posts: 1,861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Jackthedog,

Sorry you're having a hard tome getting this sorted. I'll take a look for you. Drop me an email with the details. You'll get contact details in my profile.

Cheers

David
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • pjrimmer
    Options
    We joined BT as new customers in June 2013 having moved over from Virgin Media in order to get BT Infinity and the new BT Sport TV service without paying out huge amounts of money every month. However we immediately wasted two months of our time chasing BT to resolve technical issues, transfer numbers, rectify incorrect orders & cancellations and eventually managing to get nearly £400 worth of incorrect charges refunded.

During those two months we experienced such unbelievable levels of poor customer service, miscommunication, misdirection and incompetence that we hoped we would never have to deal with such issues again.

Thankfully all the issues we experienced were eventually resolved (or so we thought) and we have enjoyed nearly 18 months of decent broadband speeds and trouble free service from BT.

There was however one remaining minor issue which was so trivial we decided not to pursue it any further. We were on a 40GB per month data allowance package however; we were unable to monitor our broadband usage due to an issue with the BT website. An on screen message informed us that as we were not able to monitor our usage we would not be charged for any out of bundle data usage.

Everything was fine until 10th Nov 2014 when we received an email informing us that we had nearly used up all of our data allowance and we could incur additional charges if we exceeded it. We logged in to check on-line and sure enough the facility to monitor our usage was up and running. Closer inspection however revealed that the broadband service was assigned to a different phone number to our telephone service.

A lengthy call to BT followed on 14th Nov 2014 in order to get the issue resolved, apparently the problem related to how our account was configured on the BT system and it had been incorrect since day one. The issue was resolved and discussions moved on to upgrading our broadband service to an unlimited package in order to avoid incurring future usage charges. We decided to think about it over the weekend rather than committing straight away, particularly as the only options available to us all involved signed up for another 12 month contract. Notes were added to the system to allow us to take advantage of the same deals etc when we called back.

Over the weekend we realised that as we had already purchased another 12 month line rental saver package back in July 2014, we were effectively locked into BT for the next 8 months anyway. Therefore a new 12 month broadband contract didn’t seem too bad after all and on 17th Nov 2014 we decided to call BT and place the order for a new broadband service, as discussed previously.

However despite the notes on the system clarifying what had been offered previously, additional charges were being added to the package which we were previously not made aware of. Some discounts were offered but the end result was still an increased monthly amount compared to what had previously been quoted. Unfortunately, due to the existing line rental package we felt like we had no choice so we agreed to sign up for a new unlimited 12 month broadband package.

A few minutes after the order was placed and the call was ended, we received an email thanking us for choosing BT and asking us to provide a Migration Authorisation Code (MAC) so they could start transferring our broadband service from our existing provider! Alarm bells starting ringing immediately as BT are our existing provider and hence a MAC should not be required to simply upgrade our package and not change suppliers.
    We waited an hour just in case there was a glitch in the system that would sort itself out. However nothing else came through and we were concerned that the order would not progress without some kind of manual intervention.

A call to the BT order tracking team followed which was extremely frustrating as it seemed impossible for us to be able to make them understand the situation correctly. After approximately 20 minutes on the phone and running out of patience, eventually they cancelled the order and transferred us back to the sales team so another new order could be placed instead.

The sales advisor offered us a package which would cost us even more money per month, which obviously we rejected. The advisor then stated that he was unable to help us any further and he would email the original advisor from 14th Nov 2014 and get him to call us. He also informed us that the original advisor was working that day and he would call us as soon as he had finished on his current call. That was at 13:39 on 17th Nov 2014 and we have still not received a call back.

This is extremely frustrating, all we are trying to do is reluctantly commit to BT for a further 12 months and they seem incapable of being able to action this. At this stage I am considering cancelling all of our BT services and losing the 8 month’s worth of line rental fees we have already paid. A new customer introductory offer with an alternative supplier combined with a cashback offer should recoup these costs.

Any help you can offer in attempting to get the situation resolved would be much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure