Where is my nearest beach? (Midlands - Seaside)

My closest motorway is M42 J10, but I am fairly near to many of the midlands motorways. I want to take my toddler on a day trip to the seaside. Where is my closest beach? Should I head for Wales and if so where?

Comments

• globalds
    globalds Posts: 9,431 Forumite
    Barmouth or Great Yarmouth ..It looks like your halfway between them ...Pretty safe from any tidal surges though :)
  • Fourcandles_3
    Fourcandles_3 Posts: 290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We live in Coventry and my dad (long distance lorry driver) used to reckon Skegy was one of if not the closest. Although wether you can say it has a beach is a matter of opinion...

I hated skegness as a kid.
  • Reggie_Rebel
    Reggie_Rebel Posts: 5,036 Forumite
    Skeggy has a great beach, in fact at very low tide you can walk to Holland
    It's taken me years of experience to get this cynical
  • weston super mare isnt too far from brum.
    x
    ***MSE...My.Special.Escape***
  • :T I live right near the lincolnshire coast and yes skeg does have a beach. There are miles of sandy beaches running from skeg through to cleethorpes. If you can get to skeg, 10-15mins along coast road (north) there are numerous small car parks right by beach (most free) and they are generally lovely and peaceful. We went to Anderby Creek on Monday (BANK HOLIDAY MONDAY) parked for free, had some lunch in nice little cafe and then spent 2 hours on clean, dog free sandy beach!! Beautiful, perfect for little ones.

Skeg can get very busy but it has everything a small child could ask for!!

Big up our coastline xxxx
    :silenced:
  • Emmylou_2
    Emmylou_2 Posts: 1,049 Forumite
    Weston would probably be the easiest to get to. The beach is a 20 minute (at most) dual carriageway (most at 50) drive from M5 J21.

I grew up in Coventry (somehow managed to get out though:p ) and summers were split between Skeggy (which I hated - it always rained) and Weston/Cornwall.

However, don't go wandering in the mud. It's very sticky.

(Or, like my Wicked Step Mum, you could fall over flat on your face. I laughed. I had a handprint on the back of my legs all the way home :cool: )
    We may not have it all together, but together we have it all :beer:
    B&SC Member No 324

Living with ME, fibromyalgia and (newly diagnosed but been there a long time) EDS Type 3 (Hypermobility). Woo hoo :rotfl:
  • edna_clouds
    edna_clouds Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Post
    If I lived where you are I think I'd head for the Lincolnshire coast and countryside. I'm a long distance lorry driver and Lincolnshire is probably my favourite part of the country..

Here's the distances of three of the ones mentioned from Tamworth travel lodge but Weston would probably be the quickest if you got a good run..

From RAC route planner..

Skeggy.......... 112 miles E/W

Weston......... 123 miles E/W

Barmouth....... 125 miles E/W

Barmouth has a lovely sandy beach but it would be a very long drive.. Beautiful countryside to drive through though..
    sometimes you're the pigeon, sometimes you're the statue!

• ladymarmalade
    ladymarmalade Posts: 711 Forumite
    we live on the bordar of derbys/notts and we always used to go to skeggy for the day...doenst take much time at all
    :cool:"More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them." - Harold J. Smith:cool:
  • Sazere
    Sazere Posts: 789 Forumite
    Ok thank you all for your fantastic suggestions!!! Now I have some town names I have been looking on multi-map at the times and distances.

Barmouth appeals the most but I think it might be too much with toddler in the car.

Great Yarmouth again too far for a day trip.

Weston is a definate maybe so far, as it seems the fastest most straightforward run (assuming traffic ok).

Skeggy has never appealed to me personally (sorry to all Skeggy lovers). I prefer quieter locations and it always seems as if it is quite busy from what people have said to me. Although I guess, like the poster above mentioned, just a few minutes drive along the coast would probably be quieter.

So we are planning to go at the end of June so will try and remember to report back on our journey, thank you again!
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Weston is unlikely to be quiet, and to be honest it's a bit of a dump. It's not even the proper sea - it's the Severn Estuary.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure