The 'Save 12k in 2014' Thread!

Comments

• girlatplay
    girlatplay Posts: 3,883
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    eklipze wrote: »
    Well that's March payday done and £1052.41 put into ISA which fills it for this year. Total for this year is now £2698.43 which makes the deposit currently just over £7K.

First couple of months of the year are always strongest due to Xmas/New year oncall so will now level off for the rest of the year.

Still I have forecast about £7K altogether in 2012 plus £1,200 aside for Christmas and Car Insurance. So now need to shrink monthly bills and expendeture to try and get the other £5K.

Slowlyfading has now added me to the spreadsheet admin so I can make any tweaks that we want. Thoughts? The original point was the colour coding on Column E doesn't really work. I've a couple of thoughts to make it better but what do we think ?

My first idea was that % Saved (overpaid on spreadsheet) is 8.33% each month, so this could be colour coded based on that ?
    Also each monthly payment could be colour coded against what the monthly save should be (total/12)

I like the idea of colour coding or RAGing (Red Amber Green) as it gives me a guide overall, however it should only be a guide and if people think this would act in a negative way we should probably ingnore altogether.

Ideas ?

I don't have any ideas but am happy to go with what everyone else wants. Your ideas sound fine to me :)

Payday tomorrow - hurry up!
    Mortgage at 12/07/2022 = £175,000
    Mortgage today = £166,457.86
    300 282 payments to go.
    House buyout fund £3,261.67/£40,000
    Random Pick Fridays = £80.01
  • £850 for me this month
  • Twiggy_34
    Twiggy_34 Posts: 685 Forumite
    I like the idea of colour coding or RAGing (Red Amber Green) as it gives me a guide overall, however it should only be a guide and if people think this would act in a negative way we should probably ingnore altogether.

Ideas ?

I like the idea of RAGing too. I agree there's a risk it could be deflating to some, but I think that for the majority it will act as a motivator to catch up as best we can if we do slip behind. I completely failed at this challenge last year due to multiple unforeseen expenses (and use my signature to monitor my progress) and yet I'm still here! :rotfl:
    £12k in 2019 #084 £3000/£3000
    £2 Savers Club 2019 #18 TOTAL:£394 (2013-2018 = £1542)
  • EeeJay
    EeeJay Posts: 43
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite

My first idea was that % Saved (overpaid on spreadsheet) is 8.33% each month, so this could be colour coded based on that ?
    Also each monthly payment could be colour coded against what the monthly save should be (total/12)

Ideas ?

I think RAG is a good idea, and I wonder if we could also increase the contrast between the background cell colours and the text, by making them a bit paler? I'm at about £280 so far this month, but I have also paid for a lovely holiday this summer, and bought some tiles for kitchen... Will hopefully get back on track in April.

Sorry about poor Cydney, that's sad news.
    Save 12k in 2014 #55: £2900/6k 48% Save 12k in 2021: £55,533/£55k 101% Save 12k in 2022: £13,600/£12k 113% Save 12k in 2023: £1975/£6k 33%
  • Hi,
    I know it s really far into the year but I could do with joining this.
    We need to save £12k in the rest of the year.
    For a house deposit.
    Not managed to save anything yet, we only decided to do this a few weeks ago.
    Thanks
  • eklipze wrote: »
    Well that's March payday done and £1052.41 put into ISA which fills it for this year. Total for this year is now £2698.43 which makes the deposit currently just over £7K.

First couple of months of the year are always strongest due to Xmas/New year oncall so will now level off for the rest of the year.

Still I have forecast about £7K altogether in 2012 plus £1,200 aside for Christmas and Car Insurance. So now need to shrink monthly bills and expendeture to try and get the other £5K.

Slowlyfading has now added me to the spreadsheet admin so I can make any tweaks that we want. Thoughts? The original point was the colour coding on Column E doesn't really work. I've a couple of thoughts to make it better but what do we think ?

Ideas ?
    The RAG sounds good, and personally it would spur me on. Thanks for doing this eklipze, and of course to slowlyfading
    Save £12k in 2022 thread #7:

Save £10,000 Jan-May 2022 THEN RETIRE!!
    Final total for (half) year: -£4,000
  • I have to say this has not been a good start to the year for me. My car gave up and failed its MOT quite spectacularly so was better to get it scrapped than to fix it, which probably was a blessing in disguise as my house is kinda upside down at the moment financially so I have had to use my savings and am back to where I started with a big zero. :(

But positive outlook and silver linings, I am working through my bills etc and reducing where I can and have so far taken £1K off which is great except that only makes up for the deficit in the income....hoping to be able to put away some money each month when the dust settles every little helps and all....;)
  • Sky_
    Sky_ Posts: 605
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Added another 35.56 from matched betting (really must work harder at it but I've been doing lots of overtime at work, so a tad tired) and £11 from InstaGC and Swagbucks.

Savings are now at £2546.89

Siggy is updated.
    2022. 2% MF challenge. £730/3000
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've updated the spreadsheet and updated some of the colours so it's easier to read :) don't know why I didn't do that sooner!

Keep plodding along everyone :)
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,857
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi folks, declaring at £1530 for March. Off to update the spread-sheet.
    January GC 2024 £135/£180
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family