Masonry Paint - Undercoat

Am taking the outside of a dark painted house back to light brown. I asked in the paint shop about using an undercoat as it is such a big change of colour and it was suggested that I use emulsion as the undercoat and then a good quality masonry paint as the top coat. Is there anyone in the know that can advise me if this is a good idea.

Comments

• nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    no emulsion is for inside , masonry paint is for outside , just use the masonry paint and give it however many coats it needs , 2 should be plenty
  • What he told me was that emulsion paint was the starting product and then more ingredients were added to make it masonry paint.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Interior paint is interior paint. Exterior paint is exterior paint.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • nickj_2
    what shop was it that actually told you this ? i do not know of any reputable paint store that would give such misinformation ,
    if it was the case to put emulsion on the walls and then masonry paint such instructions would be given on the side , if the tin has such instructions then i stand corrcted ,
    i would imagine that if you did go down this route then you'd have to change your user name to always extremely harrased
  • if the colour change is so drastic it will require 3 coats many painters would use emulsion as a 1st coat TBH I can't see the problem, if you were planning to use emulsion a top coat that would be a different story!
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    if the colour change is so drastic it will require 3 coats many painters would use emulsion as a 1st coat TBH I can't see the problem, if you were planning to use emulsion a top coat that would be a different story!
    many [STRIKE]painters[/STRIKE] bodgers would use emulsion as a 1st coat. See Post #4.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    As others said emulsion is for interior its not designed for external use.
  • nickj_2
    if the colour change is so drastic it will require 3 coats many painters would use emulsion as a 1st coat TBH I can't see the problem, if you were planning to use emulsion a top coat that would be a different story!

no genuine painter would do this , they would just allow for more masonry paint in their quote . they are , give or take a couple of pounds the same price so why would anyone bother getting emulsion .
    you are talking rubbish
  • nickj wrote: »
    no genuine painter would do this , they would just allow for more masonry paint in their quote . they are , give or take a couple of pounds the same price so why would anyone bother getting emulsion .
    you are talking rubbish

thanks but as a decorator with 12 years in the trade I can assure you that many decs will do this, finding ones who'll own up to it in public is a different matter:rotfl:
  • nickj_2
    thanks but as a decorator with 12 years in the trade I can assure you that many decs will do this, finding ones who'll own up to it in public is a different matter:rotfl:

i've been in the trade for 30 years and all the people i've worked with have never done this ,
    maybe the people you are thinking of aren't actually painters but cowboys/bodgers ,
    painters who care about their work and reputation would not do this ,
    if the paint all comes off you'll have a hell of a job putting it right and it will cost far more than a coat of emulsion , it's not worth the risk
    , i guess the people you are thinking of will have taken the cash and disapeared when it comes to putting it right .
    why would you put emulsion on when masonry paint is the around the same price
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure