Halifax Joint Account

Hi
I was wondering if somebody could advise me please?

I have a joint account with the Halifax with my ex husband. We are now divorced and i'm in the process of buying him out of our house. We have had a joint account for years and all the bills get paid out of it. My ex has been putting in half the money for our mortgage payment since we split. This months mortgage payment should be the last one where he needs to pay as the mortgage on the house will be complete and he won't own it anymore. What i am asking is how do i go about getting his name of the account? I am the lead account holder but i am told i need his permission which he isn't giving (he won't answer my e-mails) So at the end of the month i will be paying around 600 pounds into this account and he will have access to it! I'm not sure i can close the account without his permission but i don't want to as all my direct debits come out of it and i find it a useful way of handling my money.

Is there anything i can do? Can i put a bock on any money being withdrawn but my Direct Debits still get paid. I never draw any cash out, just pay in every month. I'm quit worried about this as i know he has online access to this account. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jannine
:heart2: Newborn Thread Member :heart2:

'Children reinvent the world for you.' - Susan Sarandan

Comments

• jambosans
    jambosans Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2009 at 2:49PM
    janninew wrote: »
    Is there anything i can do? Can i put a bock on any money being withdrawn but my Direct Debits still get paid. I never draw any cash out, just pay in every month. I'm quit worried about this as i know he has online access to this account. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately to remove his name from the account you will need to get his signature. However you can get Halifax to place the account in dispute. This normally entails a block of some sort, it would effect both parties and you would have to get clarification on whether or not it effects Direct Debits.

Hopefully someone a little more clued up on these matters will be able to give you some more advice.

On a final point I would also consider opening up a new sole account under your name and transferring the Direct Debits, standing order, salary, etc over. This way you can cancel all the payments on the joint account and safely put the account into dispute - which should avoid it running up charges and/ or a debt.

If you can't get him to agree to sign for his name to be removed or the account closed, I would perhaps seek legal advice. Although to perfectly honestly I'm not sure what good this would do.
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
  • never-in-doubt
    never-in-doubt Posts: 20,613 Forumite
    Tell the bank you've split up and they will then freeze it. In the meantime, loginto internet banking, click 'apply for new account' select 'bank account' and away you go - simple
    :o 2010 - year of the troll :o

Niddy - Over & Out :wave:
  • janninew
    janninew Posts: 3,781 Forumite
    Tell the bank you've split up and they will then freeze it. In the meantime, loginto internet banking, click 'apply for new account' select 'bank account' and away you go - simple

If i set up a new account with the Halifax though, what happens to my direct debits? I have about 15 coming out each month, would the Halifax transfer them across or would i have to contact each one separatly to advise of the account change?

Thanks
    Jannine
    :heart2: Newborn Thread Member :heart2:

'Children reinvent the world for you.' - Susan Sarandan
  • jambosans
    jambosans Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    janninew wrote: »
    If i set up a new account with the Halifax though, what happens to my direct debits? I have about 15 coming out each month, would the Halifax transfer them across or would i have to contact each one separatly to advise of the account change?

You would have to contact each company individually to advise them of the change of details. Alternatively if you setup a new account with another bank, they sometimes offer a switching service (for free) that will move everything over for you.
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure