Mortgage Exit Fees successes and failures

Comments

• :rotfl:Fantastic :- Phoned Alliance & Leicester 10 days ago to complain about mortgage exit fees and got a cheque back today for £210.00.
  • pandapaws
    pandapaws Posts: 2,119 Forumite
    Just had a letter from the Scarborough, saying that we paid £245 in exit fees:

Discharge Fee: £150 and
    Redemption Administration Charge: £95

We also paid over £7500 in early redemption penalties, but that's neither here nor there!

They're saying we aren't entitled to anything, but as the original mortgage was taken out before 15 Nov 04 (the date on the schedule of charges they sent) and it was only the house-move mortgage change that occurred after this date, should we not have grounds to claim against the original charge that we were quoted when we first took the morgtgage out? They're saying that we agreed to these amounts when we took out the mortgage, but in taking out that mortgage, we didn't have any power to question these amounts - we were already tied to them.

They have therefore taken the opportunity to change the terms from our original mortgage when we moved - can they do that?

Anyone got experience of a similar situation?
  • Phoned Direct Line they forwarded £99 into my bank account within days Thanks very much for your help :-)
  • :j Rec'd MSE weekly newsletter Wednesday. Phoned Bradford & Bingley(Mortgage Express) same day and I was told I had paid a M.E.A.F. of £140 in 2003. The contract showed £75. I was told they would refund £65. I asked for that sum plus interest. On Thursday morning I received a letter stating they would be forwarding a cheque for £65 but no mention of interest. Not happy with this I wrote to them using the template provided by Martin at the bottom of the article. I decided to ask for the whole sum plus interest. This morning, Saturday, I received a letter offering the whole sum but no interest. They stated that interest is only paid on claims issued in the County Court. They also stated that this was their Final Response and that I would have to take my complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FoS) if I wished to continue with it.

I do not intend to pursue this case through the FoS. I am also not going to pursue the interest through the County Court as Bradford & Bingley (Mortgage Express) have been extremely speedy, efficient and courteous.

Well done Martin. Thank you for all your efforts in looking after us small people! Keep up the excellent work. :T

Gary
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    pandapaws wrote: »
    Just had a letter from the Scarborough, saying that we paid £245 in exit fees:

Discharge Fee: £150 and
    Redemption Administration Charge: £95

We also paid over £7500 in early redemption penalties, but that's neither here nor there!

They're saying we aren't entitled to anything, but as the original mortgage was taken out before 15 Nov 04 (the date on the schedule of charges they sent) and it was only the house-move mortgage change that occurred after this date, should we not have grounds to claim against the original charge that we were quoted when we first took the morgtgage out? They're saying that we agreed to these amounts when we took out the mortgage, but in taking out that mortgage, we didn't have any power to question these amounts - we were already tied to them.

They have therefore taken the opportunity to change the terms from our original mortgage when we moved - can they do that?

Anyone got experience of a similar situation?
    I don't quite understand your circumstances. But if you took out a new mortgage on a different property in November 2004 (or whenever else), that's the relevant date for the fees you are due to pay.

I worry about your judgement in paying a £7,500 ERC, but as you say that's a different story.
  • maple41
    maple41 Posts: 153 Forumite
    Thanks for this thread, as we had paid off the mortgage in June last year originally wrote to C&G using the letter template from here, response back saying they couldn't trace the account. Phoned the CS line this morning and account traced immediately and amount of refund calculated including interest without asking and promised a cheque in the post within 5 working days. Brilliant!:D
  • I actually saw this report on the OneShow on BBC1. I downloaded the template and edited it then sent it off to Leeds BS (formerly Leeds & Holbeck). Within 10 days they sent me a cheque for my full claim of 130 UKP. No questions at all.
  • I rang GMAC who we left and remortgaged to Nationwide and they said they would look into it for me and a week later i got a cheque back for £32.50 yeh with only a phone call eh !!!!! thanks Martin
  • HI,
    I would just like to thank martin if it wasnt for his article on gmtv we would not have found the information we paid off our mortgage in 2OO5 paid £250 for release of our deeds i am glad to say that we had a cheque from northern rock last week for £225 very easy to do what a great result.
    CHEERS :beer:
  • sally06
    sally06 Posts: 4,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    maple41 wrote: »
    Thanks for this thread, as we had paid off the mortgage in June last year originally wrote to C&G using the letter template from here, response back saying they couldn't trace the account. Phoned the CS line this morning and account traced immediately and amount of refund calculated including interest without asking and promised a cheque in the post within 5 working days. Brilliant!:D

where's the letter template? looked on first page but couldn't find it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure