Have I been issued a proper default notice for £10 - so worried

gtt184
gtt184 Posts: 23 Forumite
edited 21 March 2015 at 10:43AM in Debt-free wannabe
I accidentally canceled the wrong direct debit 1 week ago which meant I missed a £10 insurance payment.

First I knew about it this morning and I've got a very serious letter telling me to set up a new direct debit and it has a default notice on the back of it.

I'm now worried sick. We are applying for a new mortgage next month!

How can they do this over a £10 direct debit that was 1 week late?!

Will this wreck my credit file?

I've now paid up and set up a new direct debit but feel sick with worry

Can anyone reassure me?

Comments

• gtt184
    From what I've read, they can't do this?
  • xHannahx
    xHannahx Posts: 614 Forumite
    It sounds like a default sum notice. It isn't a default notice, I'm not sure on current regulation now the CCA has become part of FCA but a default sum notice was required on CCA regulated accounts when they charged a fee.
  • gtt184
    Thanks, yes I was charged a £20 fee.
    So harsh!

So do I not need to worry?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    gtt184 wrote: »
    Thanks, yes I was charged a £20 fee.
    So harsh!

So do I not need to worry?

I would phone up there customer services, explain my innocent mistake, and politely suggest they refund me the £20.

It wont be a default notice for a missed insurance premium, it will be a default sums notice, and as far as i am aware, insurance companies do not report on your credit file, so no harm done.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Its a sad reflection on today's society that we allow ourselves to be subjected to punitive charges for the most minor of indiscretions.

Charges for late payment, been over limit, my personal favorite is been charged £25 for changing my car insurance details, not !!!!!

I have no problem if a charge is fair, but £25 quid for tapping a keyboard, just because a charge is listed in the terms and conditions does not make it fair, i would challenge them over it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure