PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

stop fluff from towels?

Bought some combed cotton towels cos my others were mismatched and manky.Bought a deep dyed colour from john lewis .Have now washed them twice and tumble dried them to get rid of the bits.Is this a problem with the towels or how many washes should this take?

Comments

• man this is a real bugbear of mine. I bought navy thick cotton towels from Dunelm mill (pretty similar to the JL ones my mum has). I've had them for a year or so now, washing every 2 weeks or so (because I have 2 XL and 2 normal size bath towels), and I still get navy fuzz in the nice white bath. It is such a pain because it makes cleaning the bath much trickier, because the cloth just gets covered in wet navy fluff. Gr.

I found that for the first month or so they shed fluff onto me as well - which then can get seriously annoying when you put on any body lotion! However after a month or so that stopped. Now its just the bathroom... Just keep washing them fairly frequently - I found that they seem to shed less fluff when they are just washed and kind of 'stiff', IYSWIM. like you say, tumble drying helps get rid of the fluff too, but i think it doesn't work so well if the dryer is stuffed full of towels. (and make sure to clear the fluff trap, obv!) (oh you're not using fabric conditioner on them are you.. I'm sure you're not)

So I'm afraid I can't be that helpful - they may shed bits for a while. I think it is just what you get with these thicker, better quality towels. i love my towels all coarse and scratchy and it takes ages to get ther. sometimes i think i should just give my mum new towels and pinch all her old ones...
  • I like them scratch too, saves on exfolliantion and this time of year really warms up the skin
  • rocketdog_2
    rocketdog_2 Posts: 144 Forumite
    Hi,

I re-decorated my bathroon last month and chose black towels. They look great but have become the bain of my life!!

They seem to shed fluff (like dust) everywhere. On us when we get dry, all over the bathroom, even covered the kitchen when I took them down to the washing machine.

After getting dry the white bathroom suite looks grey, it's all over the floor and we usually have to re-shower and drip dry....not kidding :mad:

What can i do to stop this happening? I have washed all the towels several times on cool washes, boil washes and nothing has changed.

Please help. I'm desperate :confused:
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    tumble dry them??? it should blow off all the loose fibres..

Write to the manufacturer and complain.. they shouldn't be doing that.. none of my towels shed even the navy ones and dark green ones which would make a monstrous mess in my bathroom!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • rocketdog_2
    rocketdog_2 Posts: 144 Forumite
    We don't have a tumble dryer - but we could take them to the laundrette. I'll try that.

After this time, if there's no improvement they're going back to asda I think.

Thank you for your suggestion.
  • Aha, theya re Asda ones are they? I was recently given an Asda towel (some range by George) fortunately in cream, and it sheds all over the place too. Cos, it's cream it is not a major problem, but it has been washed 3 or 4 times now and still sheds...Take them back - must be a problem with them. I can't take mine back cos it was a pressie....:p

Regards
    linda
  • donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,654 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We have the same problem with Black ones which are really M&S seconds, we have had other colours but it they are the only problem ones, these are the ones with the type of towel on an embroidered panel. Washed and tumbled many times but still make a mess.
    DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • ramk_
    ramk_ Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    I have exactly the same problem with blue ones we got from Asda - good to know it's not just me!! Will try the tumble drier too, thanks very much!!
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ramk_ wrote: »
    I have exactly the same problem with blue ones we got from Asda - good to know it's not just me!! Will try the tumble drier too, thanks very much!!

i have blue ones from asda too, and a shiny black ceramic tiled floor that after a few days looks really dusty as a result from towel fluff! i am hoping that the shedding will stop with time!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    We've had the same problem with Christy towels. Pink fluff on the carpets, the errmm fluff which is on the kitchen floor when I sweep is tinged with pink :o and its pink on the inside of fleece type jumpers.

A couple of weeks ago I bought an Asda purple towel as well :D :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport