The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Comments

• D1zzy
    D1zzy Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    (wrt ING 3.2% account) I phoned to enquire, and you only have to wait 3 business days after closing existing account to qualify as a new customer.

Just noticed that this is 3.2% FIXED for 12 months with instant access- (the fixed bit had escaped me) - so not bad considering the comparable accounts (Egg, Tesco, Citi) are all bonus based - so just thought I'd flag it up again for anyone else who missed it.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,490 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Lloyds still paying on Current Accounts with Vantage:

AER % Gross % Net %
    £1+ 0.10 0.10 0.08
    £1,000+ 2.00 1.98 1.59
    £3,000+ 3.00 2.96 2.37
    £5,000 4.00 3.93 3.14
    to £7,000
  • The AA. Sorry but I've searched through the forum and can't find anyone who uses the AA. I've £5000 to invest for a year - so thought the on-line account(Fixed Rate Saving Account) a good bet ("guaranteed.... =4.35 AER) until we can see what happens with interest rates. Anyone had good/bad experiences with them?
  • (wrt ING 3.2% account) I phoned to enquire, and you only have to wait 3 business days after closing existing account to qualify as a new customer.

I can confirm that
  • waggamama wrote: »
    The AA. Sorry but I've searched through the forum and can't find anyone who uses the AA. I've £5000 to invest for a year - so thought the on-line account(Fixed Rate Saving Account) a good bet ("guaranteed.... =4.35 AER) until we can see what happens with interest rates. Anyone had good/bad experiences with them?

The AA savings is "managed" by Birmingham Midshires.

According to their webiste "the deposit-taker for the AA savings accounts is Birmingham Midshires". So it seems it to me that it is just a BM account with AA branding.
    Now I haven't banked with AA, but I have had two instant access accounts with Birmingham Midshires and they've been fine. Do remember that AA savings belong to HBOS, bear that in mind so that you don't end up going over the £50,000 FSCS savings cover per person.
    (see MSE's http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/safe-savings for details)
  • Citibank may pay 3.3% but you wont ever get the chance to put any money in. Noone ever answers the phone to enable you to activate the account ! Customer service is absolutely non-existant. By far the worse experience of service in my life from any organisation.
  • efunc
    efunc Posts: 403 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    golfpunk wrote: »
    Citibank may pay 3.3% but you wont ever get the chance to put any money in. Noone ever answers the phone to enable you to activate the account ! Customer service is absolutely non-existant. By far the worse experience of service in my life from any organisation.

are you sure you're calling the right number? I've called them three times in the last couple of days and they pick up within a few rings. service is superb!

but why can't you put any money in anyway?? you don't need to 'activate' anything to do that. Your account number and sort code are given to you by email as soon as you fill out the online application... :confused:
  • Been calling the 0800 008800 number, 0800 005500 and 0207 ( from abroad number ) for the last 5 days. For the new flex saver account, it says you must activate it before u do any operations on it by calling the 0800 number.

BTW today, after waiting 20mins, i finally got through to an Indian lady at a call centre probably in Mumbai... she then put me through to a colleague to do the activation... waited another 10 mins before speaking to another chap. Finally ! After answering 5 questions, they activated and now I can use it.

I just hope i never have to speak to them ever again !
  • efunc
    efunc Posts: 403 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    good stuff. at least you can operate it online now so you shouldn't need to call again.
  • strepsil
    strepsil Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 5 October 2009 at 11:22AM
    IF finally took money out of my current account for initial deposit, after nearly two months of waiting.. Rate is now 2.49%AER. Hmph.

Shouldn't /savings/savings-accounts-best-interest#instant be updated?

Cash ISA is now 2.5% rather than the 2.75% listed on this site, too...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback