PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Comments

• silverfoxdude
    silverfoxdude Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    :-( Its made lumpy/chunky jam!! Does anyone know how long it takes to set, and do I mush up the fruit before I put it in.... erm I also couldn't wait for the fruit to defrost fully, will that have made a difference?

Thanks
  • Yesterday my OH found a Morphy Richards Essentials BM at a boot sale for £3.00, I downloaded the manual and have had 2 pretty good loaves out of it so far, but I have 2 queries.

The blade seems very cumbersome, I have only ever seen 2 others, they were in the thread when someone got theirs stuck in the machine and squeaky's reply, both came with photos, in both cases the blade looked to be smaller than mine

With the first loaf the blade glued the loaf to the pan and it had to be wrestled with to free it, so I greased the spindle for the second loaf which now has the blade embedded in the middle of the loaf.

The question is, is it feasable to remove the blade swiftly after all the kneading is finished?
    The second question is how small a loaf can you make? what amount of flour? I know I can store the bread and it will be fine but while I'm experimenting with flavours and recipes I don't want to have lots of bread that isn't quite right going to waste, I'd rather make smaller loaves until we decide what we like best.

Thanks all
    If I screw my eyes up tight I can just about see where you're coming from
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The question is, is it feasable to remove the blade swiftly after all the kneading is finished?

Erm... yes, I guess you could but it's probably even more of a faff about than digging it out of a cooked loaf. Maybe wait until you've made a few more loaves and everything is seasoned before deciding which way to go.
    The second question is how small a loaf can you make? what amount of flour? I know I can store the bread and it will be fine but while I'm experimenting with flavours and recipes I don't want to have lots of bread that isn't quite right going to waste, I'd rather make smaller loaves until we decide what we like best.

Thanks all
    I've made half size mixes with no problems in the past - but machines do differ and mine is not the same as yours. Try one :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • I need help AGAIN! - as I said in my previous post I have a Morphy Richards machine, I have tried the basic white loaf that is in the recipe book but it was a bit cakey, I presume it was because of the milk powder and sugar, ideally I'd like to reduce them or remove them totally but the recipe book /manual gives very strict instructions about accurate weighing so I'm not sure what to do? can I tweak this recipe a bit? In the past I have used the recipe on the back of the bread bags when making by hand and been very happy with it, can I use that?

I'll list the Morphy Richards recipe now so that all you experienced owners can tell me where I can adjust it.

3/4 cup water
    2 tabs milk powder
    2 tabs oil
    1 1/4 teasp sugar
    1 teasp salt
    2 cups flour
    1teasp yeast

Thanks all

it looks like this one but has a different model number
    If I screw my eyes up tight I can just about see where you're coming from
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    tomandbarbaragood

try playing around with your mixture. I have recently inherited a BM from my mother - great fun, but perhaps on the large side for a singleton! Just means I have to eat more :D

The white recipe in my manual uses honey instead of sugar. The loaves have all been too sweet and I am now only adding a tiny proportion of what is suggested, while slightly uping the salt content. Bad fort he ehalth I know, but a necessary taste adjustment (IMHO).

My current problem is that my loaves cook lopsided! one end is always much higher than the other :rotfl:
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • Simba_25
    Simba_25 Posts: 329 Forumite
    I have made a gorgeous ginger cake in my BM today.....and its huuuge! ok ok so i cheated and bought a packet mix from asda but it still is divine lol

I have lost my recipie book for my Breville (Antony Worral thomson) BM, i have emailed customer services to see if i can buy a replacement but no reply as yet :( Will just have to stick to packet mixes till they get back to me :(
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'll list the Morphy Richards recipe now so that all you experienced owners can tell me where I can adjust it.

3/4 cup water
    2 tabs milk powder
    2 tabs oil
    1 1/4 teasp sugar
    1 teasp salt
    2 cups flour
    1teasp yeast

You can lose the oil and the milk powder with no problem - but the sugar is there to feed the yeast - if you leave it out you'll get a brick.

That level of salt is pretty minimal for a loaf too, but then, hang on, that's a very small loaf! Hmm... The salt is there for taste AND to stop the yeast from going mad... you could possibly halve the sugar if you really must but should then halve the salt too... not sure if that's really going to be of any benefit and would probably mean that the loaf would need more rising time and might be quite bland... after all, on the original basis that's barely a pinch of each per slice and we do need some salt in our diets :)

Try the first options on a loaf or two and then maybe ease down a tiny bit per loaf on the sugar and salt until you start getting rubbish :D
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Hi guys,

First post on OS, nice to meet you all! :wave:

I have a Morphy Richards breadmaker and make bread quite succesfully. I have made a lemon cake in it but was wondering if anyone had a recipe for chocolate cake? I have made a chocolate loaf before and it was more like a sweet bread rather than a cake. Is it just a matter of following the recipe for a basic cake in the manual and adding cocoa? Or do I need to adjust any of the other ingredients? Your help would be much appreciated. Please forgive me if this has already been posted but I did search the forum and didn't find anything relevant!

Have a good day everyone! :)
    Mortgage-free wannabe!
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    From my breadmaker book:-

Rich Chocolate Cake:

300g castor sugar
    200g butter
    3 medium eggs
    2 tsp vanilla essence
    70g cocoa
    400g self raising flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking powder

I'd be inclined to make the flour amount the same as for the cake you already made and adjust the other ingredient amounts accordingly.

Best of luck :)
  • Thank you very much for your quick reply Squeaky, really appreciate it. Will try our recipe tomorrow! :j
    Mortgage-free wannabe!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport