Mobiles.co.uk How to cancel Insurance and Gadget support?

Comments

• OneADay
    OneADay Posts: 9,031
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi there,

Both insurance and a gadget helpline (especially given the rise of smartphones) we feel to be useful services, and both have a 30 day initial period that is free of charge to see if you agree. Cancelling both services is straight-forward and if done within the 30 days means you won't pay a penny, but will still have the peace of mind this coverage brings.

Thanks for the feedback, it does make a difference.

Regards,

Oh come on - Gadget Helpline is a complete and utter load of tosh - money making scheme aimed at conning those not fully clued up into paying for something which they can readily get free through the internet.

Its the new PPI - mis-sold without any option to choose not to have it (and eventually one of the clever brain cells in parliament might draft a bill to outlaw the practice).

If anyone wants gadget help, they google it or come to forums like this.
  • Mobiles.co.uk_company_representative
    Mobiles.co.uk_company_representative Posts: 659 Organisation Representative
    Thanks for the feedback, but have you actually used the service? It's very, very useful, very clued up and for a lot of users a much better alternative to trying to plough through pages of unhelpful Google results. It covers every 'gadget' you own, from a games console to a DVD player to getting your new mobile connected to your laptop via bluetooth.

At the end of the day it's a free trial, and can be cancelled at no cost and without hassle yet adds value to our offering by giving customers access to people who, franky, are much better informed about the huge range of products and technologies out there than we could ever hope to be.

Thanks,
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Mobiles.co.uk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • OneADay
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thats the thing I do not need to use it but every time I get a new phone, I end up with it being added to my order regardless of whether or not I need it.

The only good thing about it is that you can cancel it online (if you search around on how to). So not as bad as the insurance which too is added without question and can only be cancelled with 0870 calls (many phones cost a lot less than the cost of the insurance over the period of the contract).

Now I can understand the need to make money for any company but its not fair on customers to be provided with a product they have no option to decline at point of sale.

There are plenty of cases where people end up paying for these things without realising they needed to cancel it (which is like the PPI mis-selling).
  • Mobiles.co.uk_company_representative
    Mobiles.co.uk_company_representative Posts: 659 Organisation Representative
    Insurance can also be cancelled online, although bizarrely I would be breaching FSA regulations if I provided a link (honestly - not allowed to advise on insurance products).

Try google - it's on the main CPW site.

From experience refunds are fairly freely given by Gadget Helpline if you honestly didn't realise you had to cancel and the first payment is taken.

Regards,
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Mobiles.co.uk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • rolo1_2
    rolo1_2 Posts: 509 Forumite
    Insurance can also be cancelled online, although bizarrely I would be breaching FSA regulations if I provided a link (honestly - not allowed to advise on insurance products).

Try google - it's on the main CPW site.

From experience refunds are fairly freely given by Gadget Helpline if you honestly didn't realise you had to cancel and the first payment is taken.

Regards,

Hi

I cancelled both products via phone, no problems. However I subsequently recieved a confirmation via letter that the gadget support ins was cancelled but only recieved verbal confirmation that the phone ins was cancelled.
    I have noticed an active DD with my Bank to CPW (set up 3 days after mobile contract taken out). I assume this was for the phone ins as I have no other DD to CPW. Should I cancel this active DD myself on-line, just in case?
    regards
  • OneADay
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 4 March 2010 at 3:04PM
    rolo1 wrote: »
    Hi

I cancelled both products via phone, no problems. However I subsequently recieved a confirmation via letter that the gadget support ins was cancelled but only recieved verbal confirmation that the phone ins was cancelled.
    I have noticed an active DD with my Bank to CPW (set up 3 days after mobile contract taken out). I assume this was for the phone ins as I have no other DD to CPW. Should I cancel this active DD myself on-line, just in case?
    regards

Similar sort of thing with insurance. I cancelled it on phone but it was a bit too late, the DD had been set up. So phoned back to confirm it was cancelled (which it was) and then deleted the DD from my account. So my advice would be to just double check that your gadget thing is cancelled (most likely it is). Actually if you visit

https://secure.tmti.net/vip/

for gadget helpline cancellation and you can verify it is cancelled.
  • Rachel2390
    Rachel2390 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Hi, I just wanted to add my comments to this thread. I ordered a mobile for my daughter through mobiles.co.uk. Unfortunately there was no option available not to accept the free one month insurance policy for the phone. However, I contacted the number as specified in the insurance policy documents sent to me via email prior to the end of the free month and was verbally informed that the policy was cancelled and as stated received a letter in the post a couple of days later confirming the cancellation. I was even told that I had several days left of the free insurance if it was required!!
    So I was not very impressed when I checked my bank statement online today and noticed a payment to TMTI for £17.94 (first payment). I was racking my brains for a while before googling it and obviously came up with the thread on here. Other people have suggested that it is the fault of he customer.....but I did what I needed to do and they have still taken money from my account. I will be ringing them on Monday requesting an immediate refund armed with my cancellation confirmation letter. MY letter was received from a company calling themselves 'Geek Squad'.
    I think these companies work on the basis that people do not check their statements and get away with stealing hundreds of pounds from peoples bank accounts. NOT FROM MINE!!!!
  • OneADay
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Rachel2390 wrote: »
    Hi, I just wanted to add my comments to this thread. I ordered a mobile for my daughter through mobiles.co.uk. Unfortunately there was no option available not to accept the free one month insurance policy for the phone. However, I contacted the number as specified in the insurance policy documents sent to me via email prior to the end of the free month and was verbally informed that the policy was cancelled and as stated received a letter in the post a couple of days later confirming the cancellation. I was even told that I had several days left of the free insurance if it was required!!
    So I was not very impressed when I checked my bank statement online today and noticed a payment to TMTI for £17.94 (first payment). I was racking my brains for a while before googling it and obviously came up with the thread on here. Other people have suggested that it is the fault of he customer.....but I did what I needed to do and they have still taken money from my account. I will be ringing them on Monday requesting an immediate refund armed with my cancellation confirmation letter. MY letter was received from a company calling themselves 'Geek Squad'.
    I think these companies work on the basis that people do not check their statements and get away with stealing hundreds of pounds from peoples bank accounts. NOT FROM MINE!!!!

The insurance and gadget helpline (TMTI) are two separate things (operated by different companies).

Both have to be cancelled separately. From what you are saying, you cancelled the insurance but not the gadget helpline.
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Rachel2390 wrote: »
    So I was not very impressed when I checked my bank statement online today and noticed a payment to TMTI for £17.94 (first payment)

£17.94 ????????????
    Whats £17.94 for ? is that a month :eek:
    It's not just about the money
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    6 month's worth - that's how it's collected (though should be £19.74 - must have gone up since they took out the contract).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure