Electrical supply to garden shed

Options
Hello

I've had the following quote for supplying and installing electrical supply to our garden shed:

Supply and install armoured supply, fuseboard, 1 x light and 2 x sockets - £1,280.

Does this quote sound fair? We live in London so I do expect to pay more, but this seems a lot.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• gord115
    gord115 Posts: 1,063 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £1280 for a few hours work and maybe a hundred quids worth of gear. Sounds a total rip off to me.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You really need to get 3 quotes.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Depends.....

The cable should ideally be buried at least 600mm - If there is concrete to dig up, it could involve the hire of a breaker & mini digger.

Cable and fuseboard won't be hugely expensive, but it does depend on the distance between the house and outbuilding. If it is close, then you might get away with 4mm cable. If it is a loooong way down the garden, 10mm might be more appropriate. Another point to consider is the maximum power that is likely to be drawn.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    FreeBear wrote: »
    Cable and fuseboard won't be hugely expensive
    The cable could be considerably expensive. We simply don't have enough information to know.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Assuming this will involve an electrician and a mate/labourer for probably a full day, sounds about right.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    10mm 3 core armour is not really that dear

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SW10slash3.html

I have a client picking up armour cable at a wholesaler tomorrow and he will dig it in and leave an end up at each side for me to connect / terminate
    baldly going on...
  • BBen
    BBen Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Had a similar quote done recently

Steel wired armoured cable buried underground, 2 way consumer unit, internal and external light and sockets to outbuilding £825+VAT

South Yorks. Outbuilding is about 15m from house, ground is lawn. Sounds comparable. Hope that helps.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    I have a client picking up armour cable at a wholesaler tomorrow and he will dig it in and leave an end up at each side for me to connect / terminate

You trust him to bed the cable in sand or sieved soil and put the buried cable warning tape the recommended distance between the cable and the surface?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • gord115
    gord115 Posts: 1,063 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    LittleE wrote: »
    Hello

I've had the following quote for supplying and installing electrical supply to our garden shed:

Supply and install armoured supply, fuseboard, 1 x light and 2 x sockets - £1,280.

Does this quote sound fair? We live in London so I do expect to pay more, but this seems a lot.

Thanks in advance

Any chance of more details? Distance from house, concrete,or flags or grass to lay cable under?
  • baldelectrician
    baldelectrician Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 February 2017 at 11:49PM
    Options
    You trust him to bed the cable in sand or sieved soil and put the buried cable warning tape the recommended distance between the cable and the surface?

Yep

Part of the deal is he has to take photos and show me them
    baldly going on...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills