PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas 16 mega index/christmas chat!!!

Comments

• p-pincher wrote: »
    Oooh I love a Christmas thread.

I've started getting a few bits and bobs over the last few days. I do have quite a big list to buy for but I love everything to do with christmas so I'm ok with it.

On the OS side we do save throughout the year so everything is paid for in advance. I love baking so I make a few things for people who will appreciate them. I've already utilised my swag buck points and I'm waiting on a quidco payout so I can make a rather large Amazon order so I can order eldest Dd's Harry Potter stuff I'm desperate to order.

Last year I searched everywhere and apart from 1 present everything I bought was either reduced or on some sort of offer. I love the challenge of finding a bargain. Hoping yo pick up some ideas from everyone on here xxx

I also love a bargain & I am determined that the majority of the gifts this year & every year will be on sale, paid for with surveys or employee discounts.

What Harry Potter goodies are you ordering, I love HP!

Dxxx
  • I too love HP hence my name haha. I can't wait until DD and DS are old enough to get into it. I bought DD the illustrated HP book for her 4th birthday but the story is still a bit to complicated for her I think.

I popped into Claire's today because it's DD's new favourite shop and they have a buy 3 things get 3 things free offer so my mum and I got a few bit's for DD. They are now with the xmas stash! Saved quite a bit with the offer and the most expensive item (a bag for £12) had been reduced to £5 unbeknown to us so double savings there!
  • Fab, seen that deal the other day but haven't been in.

Me & my Mum went Christmas shopping at the Livingstone outlet last November & just as we walked into Claires for a look the girl came out & told the staff that everything in the shop was 10 items for 5.00.

We went a bit crazy tbh, bought loads of stuff for people!

Don't think we will ever get a bargain like that again.

Ah they will be old enough before you know it then you can share that with them, you need to take them to HP world in London - it is so good!!!

Dxxx
  • p-pincher
    p-pincher Posts: 727 Forumite
    I also love a bargain & I am determined that the majority of the gifts this year & every year will be on sale, paid for with surveys or employee discounts.

What Harry Potter goodies are you ordering, I love HP!

Dxxx

I'm going to order the first Harry Potter picture book and pre order the chamber of secrets that's being released in October. I also want the quiddich set and the Luna Lovegood pop vinyl. I've already bought eldest dd Hp pjs and 2 Hp mugs from primark. Theres so much Hp stuff around at the moment I can't stop buying it x
    March 2014 Grocery challenge £250.00
  • Fab, seen that deal the other day but haven't been in.

Me & my Mum went Christmas shopping at the Livingstone outlet last November & just as we walked into Claires for a look the girl came out & told the staff that everything in the shop was 10 items for 5.00.

We went a bit crazy tbh, bought loads of stuff for people!

Don't think we will ever get a bargain like that again.

Ah they will be old enough before you know it then you can share that with them, you need to take them to HP world in London - it is so good!!!

Wow that's a brilliant deal! I will have to keep my eye out to see if they ever run it again!

I've been to the HP set in London twice so far haha. I'd love to go at xmas when they have all the special things on! Also need to start saving for a family trip to the Florida one in a few years time! Might have enough by the time the kiddies are teenagers haha!
    I'm going to order the first Harry Potter picture book and pre order the chamber of secrets that's being released in October. I also want the quiddich set and the Luna Lovegood pop vinyl. I've already bought eldest dd Hp pjs and 2 Hp mugs from primark. Theres so much Hp stuff around at the moment I can't stop buying it x

Oooh I wouldn't mind all that for my xmas pressies! I will have to leave some hints for DH!

xx
  • I've started an Xmas spreadsheet with names of everyone I'm buying for, my budget for them (and thus my overall budget which marries up to my YNAB) and also a space for me to put what I'll actually get them and the actual cost.

Looking to buy my first present on Friday. An engraved torch for my step-dad. He loves them for some reason and I've done a bit of research and this particular one is super powerful at a reasonable cost. 1 down 9 to go.
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Picked up a few Star Wars figures from Argos yesterday for DS, 12" tall figures reduced from £12.99 to £5.99 so a great saving. A few more being delivered to store today. I need to start a list of what I've got him already so that I can start splitting it between Xmas and his birthday (3 weeks later).

Also picked up a beautiful biscuit tin for DH from M&S using my reward vouchers so that's the first thing put away for him (his birthday is 3 weeks prior so a lot of expense around that time meaning I like to start very early!)
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I'm making a "string" quilt for my mother for Christmas - a double saving as I'm able to use up all my fabric scraps.

Just in case this appeals to anybody else, details are here: http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/10/string-quilt-block-tutorial/

If you haven't enough fabric, or time, you can use the technique for a cushion cover, bag front etc etc
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I,ve just seen a brilliant idea for a Candy Cane Hunt.

Same idea as Easter egg hunt, but with Candy Canes, great idea to get kids out in the fresh air over Christmas.

My kids are a bit to old now 18,20,22 - but might help someone with bored kids :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hope you don't mind me joining in. I've been reading this post for ages. I too love Christmas but fear the expense. I have my Santa app on my phone and have bought loads of presents already. I took advantage of the extra points offer on Tesco with when you buy Lego (1000 points for £60 spend but I change them to 4 x the value so £40 worth of vouchers for a £60 spend), I have been other bits all on offer so people will be getting presents worth a lot more than I paid!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure