Can My Boss Come To My Private Home?

Options

Comments

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The problem the OP has is if this is preparatory to doing away with the branch office network entirely. If so, that is going to save the company a fortune, and they are not going to let him stand in the way. They'll simply sack him if he's too much of a nuisance.

OTOH, if he comes up with a viable alternative way of delivering the parts to him, any decent manager will try to accommodate him.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    How widely distributed are the homes of the people affected? I wonder if the company hiring a lockup somewhere would be a viable solution.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    They'll simply sack him if he's too much of a nuisance.

I doubt they'll could, it seems an unreasonable term to try and enforce to me. If they were to sack you for this I think you'd have a fairly strong legal case. A company can't ask anything of its employees, even if some on here think that's the case. I can understand the business case for it but you can't just use employees homes as free storage. This is ignoring the fact that even if he wanted to the OP couldn't agree to this.

OP how long you been working there?
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    How about one of those 24-h access you lock it you keep the key storage places? Drop can be whenever, and you can pick up first thing on your rounds?
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    How is this even up for debate?
    "Your not delivering anything to my home, it is not up for discussion" - end of.

If you really do need to look for excuses:
    - You can not run a business from home according to your rental agreement.
    - You can not run a business from home according to your contents insurance (therefore, if you get broken into and items stolen your insurance will not only not pay for work items, but they will not pay for your personal items).
    - It is your home, you come home to get away from work and relax. You can not relax knowing someone is dropping items off and you have work stuff in your house.

If they are so concerned, ask them to rent a unit close to your home and have the items delivered there.
    24 hour access - https://www.accessstorage.com/
    http://london.findstoragefast.co.uk/
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Sighmon55 wrote: »
    My boss admitted he had driven to my address and come down the private driveway - All without notice or my permission - Is this acceptable?

I haven't seen any comment on this bit - your boss has just as much right to come to your home as the people who come to put pizza menus through the door or are just out for a wander. It is odd, but I wouldn't personally kick up a fuss.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    ACG wrote: »
    "Your not delivering anything to my home, it is not up for discussion" - end of.

- You can not run a business from home according to your contents insurance (therefore, if you get broken into and items stolen your insurance will not only not pay for work items, but they will not pay for your personal items).
    - It is your home, you come home to get away from work and relax. You can not relax knowing someone is dropping items off and you have work stuff in your house.

If they are so concerned, ask them to rent a unit close to your home and have the items delivered there.

Unrelated to the OP, but is this correct? I work from home as a community nurse, I have a computer, printer, nursing equipment and supplies regularly delivered to my house. I'm not running a business from it though, I'm just working for somebody else, so surely this wouldn't actually invalidate my home insurance?! :eek:
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Isn't there a law for 11 hours rest from working between shifts. If your getting deliveries is this classed as work.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,665 Forumite
    Options
    ACG wrote: »

Of course you are right. The OP is perfectly within his rights to insist on that. BUT ....

The employer then says that the OP's role is being made redundant. They are introducing a new role which involves working from home, rather than from the branch office. If he transfers across, he'll keep his seniority payments. Alternatively, the OP is entitled to 6 weeks redundancy pay (or whatever), and he can apply for the new role if he wishes to, but then he'll be at the bottom of the pay scale.

Or, quite possibly, the OP's existing contract already covers this situation. In which case, he wouldn't be entitled to the redundancy payments if he refuses but would still find himself without a job.

The skilled workforce is important to the company, and they'd need to handle this sensitively to avoid the staff all leaving at once. But, at the end of the day, they can push through reasonable changes.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    Of course you are right. The OP is perfectly within his rights to insist on that. BUT ....

The employer then says that the OP's role is being made redundant. They are introducing a new role which involves working from home, rather than from the branch office. If he transfers across, he'll keep his seniority payments. Alternatively, the OP is entitled to 6 weeks redundancy pay (or whatever), and he can apply for the new role if he wishes to, but then he'll be at the bottom of the pay scale.

Or, quite possibly, the OP's existing contract already covers this situation. In which case, he wouldn't be entitled to the redundancy payments if he refuses but would still find himself without a job.

The skilled workforce is important to the company, and they'd need to handle this sensitively to avoid the staff all leaving at once. But, at the end of the day, they can push through reasonable changes.
    At that point you would need to reassess but personally I would sasy the option of it comes to your house or you have no job is not reasonable and I would go to a tribunal/court. Them agreeing to pay for local storage would be fine.

When I first started working for myself, I worked from home. My girlfriend started bending my ear after a few weeks until I went and rented an office. So I know my partner would not put up with regular deliveries.
    Unrelated to the OP, but is this correct? I work from home as a community nurse, I have a computer, printer, nursing equipment and supplies regularly delivered to my house. I'm not running a business from it though, I'm just working for somebody else, so surely this wouldn't actually invalidate my home insurance?!
    Check your buildings insurance. It is usually accepted that people will have a computer/printer at home to do admin, but as for the medical supplies I am not sure. I suppose if someone works out you have medical supplies in your home then you are a higher risk of being broken into. Junkies wanting medication (you may not have any but they would not know/care), some medical equipment is quite expensive or difficult to get hold of - syringes etc.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure