Struggling with debt? Ask a debt adviser a question

Options

Comments

• She1312
    Options
    Hello, this is my first post, looking for advice.

About 6-7 years ago we had a loan with Welcome finance. I honestly can't remeber if it was a secured loan or not.
    Our home was repossessed as my husband was made redundant and we couldn't keep up with the mortgage payments.
    Recently we have been getting letters from Robinson Way, as well as 3 cards through the door form one of their doorstep agents.

My question is, if it was a secured loan and the house was repossessed, can it still be treated as secure by a debt collection agency? As it's been more than 6 years since any payment or contact was made i was hoping it may have become statute barred. The debt is not on either of our credit files.
    I have written a letter (not yet sent) stating that we don't acknowledge the debt and requesting the signed credit agreement.
    I'd also like to know how I find land registry record for the time we lived at our previous address to see if there is a charge relating to WF.I bought a copy from the Land registry but it's only a partial record with the current owners details on.

Sorry for the long post & thanks in advance for any advice.
  • StepChange_Rachael
    StepChange_Rachael Posts: 375 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Simon

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

I’m sorry to hear you’re struggling with this debt. I know it can be very worrying but there’s certainly a way forward.

One of the main things that will impact your credit file when you miss the contractual payments to creditors is the default notice which they’ll issue. However this comes off your credit file after 6 years from the date it was applied.

There’s no such thing as a black mark and debts can’t be defaulted more than once.

There are many other ways to improve your credit file and over time the majority of people’s credit files do improve.

I know this doesn’t help your immediate problem with this credit card but there are solutions available for people struggling with problem debt and there is help at hand.

To be able to give you accurate debt advice it’s important to have a good idea of your full financial situation.

Debts can be really daunting when you’re unaware of your options, so I’d suggest completing Debt Remedy our online self-help tool.

At the end you’ll access advice and recommendations based on your situation and also be able to access support in taking the advice forward.

I hope you find this helpful.
    Rachael

Sidunc wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a 22 yr old full time student living in Newcastle, I have recently got myself into a credit card debt of £2000 due to a stupid holiday and can't afford the interest payments. As I'm a student, I have no 'real' income. I now have bad credit due to this debt and I feel as though I'm in a sinking ship. I've tried applying for a 0% interest balance transfer, but sadly, no dice.
    In desperate need of advice!
    Thanks in advance.
    Simon
  • StepChange_Rachael
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for your post.

A notice of discontinuance isn’t something that comes up often for us as a charity. As you mentioned you had difficulties finding information on the internet it doesn’t sound common.

From my understanding it seems to hint at the creditors no longer chasing for the debt down the legal routes and through the county court.

I’d suggest contacting Lowell directly and checking what their intentions are with this debt. If they confirm this is the case and they aren’t perusing the debt through the court then it’s important to get this in writing and the reason why.

From what you’ve mentioned the possible reasons why they may not be able to take the debt through the court could be due to the debt being statute barred. The creditor wouldn't be able to chase for the debt through the court if you haven't acknowledged the debt or made a payment towards it in a six year period.

In this case the creditor can still ask for payment but can’t use court action to collect for it. Meaning they can’t set a County Court Judgement (CCJ) against the debt or take further action such as setting an attachment of earnings or use enforcement agents.

It’s another possibility that Lowell don’t have the original paperwork for the debt to be able to register a CCJ against the debt and are unable to collect the debt through the court.

Again to confirm this is what Lowell are saying then I’d suggest contacting them directly to make sure.

You can also check with the Trustonline to see if there is a (CCJ) registered against you for this debt.

I hope this is resolved quickly for you.

Take care.
    Rachael

Hi, I have searched the web high and low and I can't find the answer to my worries.

Back in 2011 I had a contract with three. The phone couldn't get signal in my property, three tried giving me a booster to plug into the wifi but still that failed. So I tried to cancel my contact as I was only having half a service. But three carried on charging. So I cancelled the DD and wiped it from my brain.

Well because it was coming up to the 6 years of the default being there Lowell solicitors tried getting a ccj. I filled out the forms for the court explaining that I tried to cancel the contract etc. And that there is a default of £93 but Lowell want me to pay £745 and that I would be willing to pay the original default balance but not all the extra charges.

I didn't hear anything for quite a few weeks and now I've just had a letter from Lowell saying that there is a notice of discontinuance.. does this mean that just the ccj has stopped or the debt? As Lowell are still asking for the £745. It's so confusing I don't know what I'm meant to do?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

AH
  • Hello,
    I am making £1 token payments to my creditors after taking advice and giving my income and expenditure details etc. My creditors have all accepted this and I am making my payments each month. A relative keeps telling me to set up a savings account and says they will give me some money to put in it. And I have been selling bits and pieces of my belongings etc.
    If I did have a savings account - could it be used or taken away from me etc by creditors who I owe money to?
  • StepChange_Rachael
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been through a difficult time financially.

Secured and unsecured loans are dealt with differently because a secured loan has higher priority. Not making a payment to a secured loan can risk the asset it’s secured to. However, as you’ve mentioned the property was repossessed then the debt even if it was secured, now no longer is.

If the debt was secured then when the property was repossessed any equity would have first gone towards the mortgage company and then any other secured debt. If there isn’t enough equity to pay back the secured debts then these will become unsecured debts.

If the debt was originally unsecured but then became secured as a charging order, the debt will have had to go through the court and be set as a county court judgement (CCJ) for it to become secured. This means the debt can’t become statute barred.

A debt that is statute barred means it can’t be sent through the court for further action. As this would have already happened for the debt to become a changing order and secured to the property it means the creditor has the right to collect for the debt using further enforcement action. For example: enforcement agents or attachment of earnings.

If the debt hasn’t gone through the court and there hasn’t been a CCJ set against it then it could be statute barred. This includes if the debt was taken out as a secured loan through the original creditor in the original agreement.

If you follow the link you'll be able to read more about how to deal with a debt you believe is stature barred.

To check to see if a debt has gone through the court and a CCJ has been issued against you or your partner you can do a search through the Trustonline.

I’m not sure why you’ve not been able to get a full record from the Land Registry. I’d check with them to see if you can get a specific record for the time you were in the property, although because the debt will no longer be secured to the property then you don’t really need to check the land registry you just need to check the county court judgement register.

If you’d like further advice regarding the debt and your options then you can find our contact details here.

Thanks
    Rachael

She1312 wrote: »
    Hello, this is my first post, looking for advice.

About 6-7 years ago we had a loan with Welcome finance. I honestly can't remeber if it was a secured loan or not.
    Our home was repossessed as my husband was made redundant and we couldn't keep up with the mortgage payments.
    Recently we have been getting letters from Robinson Way, as well as 3 cards through the door form one of their doorstep agents.

My question is, if it was a secured loan and the house was repossessed, can it still be treated as secure by a debt collection agency? As it's been more than 6 years since any payment or contact was made i was hoping it may have become statute barred. The debt is not on either of our credit files.
    I have written a letter (not yet sent) stating that we don't acknowledge the debt and requesting the signed credit agreement.
    I'd also like to know how I find land registry record for the time we lived at our previous address to see if there is a charge relating to WF.I bought a copy from the Land registry but it's only a partial record with the current owners details on.

Sorry for the long post & thanks in advance for any advice.
  • Maestra
    Options
    Hi, my husband is a year into a DMP with stepchange. He pays 660 a month. My father passed away last year and has left me a sizable inheritance. I'm reluctant to pay off his debts as they're his own debts however if it's beneficial to do so is he better off making an offer of a reduced amount? I understand that his credit rating will be affected for 6 years from the last payment, is that correct?

We'd like to buy our own home one day, so would like to know the best way to get debt free and back on the straight and narrow.
  • rixy74
    rixy74 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I'm starting a IVA but have been selling a lot of stuff on ebay is this still aloud and can you have money in paypal and how do the banks etc know if there is money on paypal.

i want to pay the iva asap and thought i could sell stuff and keep the money in paypal

thanks
  • despatch
    Options
    Hello
    I hope you can help or give me a little bit of advice as I seem to going
    around in circles.
    I am single and have a home with a mortgage. Over the past 10 years I have been like a lot of us been stupid and got myself in debt. Around £8,000
    Now I am fed up of paying high rates on credit cards and loans and being left with nothing at the end of each month.
    So after careful thinking of how to sort myself out, I feel that I have found an answer and yet I keep getting turned away!
    My house has a value of £150,000 - £175,000 and I have a mortgage left of £80,000. So feel that a good option for me would be to remortgage my home for £100,000. This would pay off every debt I have and give me money to refurbish my home which needs to be done. I have a very good Credit score, yet not one bank wants to know saying I can't afford it!
    Yet with a remortgage I will not be paying out the debts as they would be gone, and will have an extra £300-£400 in my pocket each month.
    Sorry to ask but I now don't know what to do. I want to get out of debt, have Equity value in my home, but no one seems to want help and seem they would rather me carrying on struggling??

Sorry to take up your time, but would be greatful for some advice on how I can sort this out. As I am fed up at the end of each month with no money to live. And like most people get out of this situation.
  • StepChange_Rachael
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for getting in contact.

Setting up a token payment based on your income and expenditure is a good way to give you some breathing space while you concentrate on your priorities like household bills and general living costs. It’s an informal agreement to your creditors.

Having savings or setting up a savings account won’t impact this solution as such, as long as it's with a bank seperate from your creditors. As long as it's with someone seperate the creditors don’t have the right to take any assets to pay towards the debt.

The only way assets may be impacted is if a creditor felt that there were sufficient assets that they would be able to reclaim the debt through Bankruptcy.

A creditor is unlikely to take this route unless the creditor is aware there are sufficient assets.

Some people choose to save up over time extra income in the hope of being able to make a full and final settlement to the creditors on the future.

It’s also not unrealistic to have a small pot set aside for emergencies and unexpected costs. If you’re budget is particularly tight then it would make sense to have an emergency fund.

A token payment isn’t a long term solution as it won’t pay back the debt in a realistic time frame. If you’d like to explore your options further you can complete our self-help online Debt Remedy tool.

I hope this helps
    Rachael

Hello,
    I am making £1 token payments to my creditors after taking advice and giving my income and expenditure details etc. My creditors have all accepted this and I am making my payments each month. A relative keeps telling me to set up a savings account and says they will give me some money to put in it. And I have been selling bits and pieces of my belongings etc.
    If I did have a savings account - could it be used or taken away from me etc by creditors who I owe money to?
  • StepChange_Rachael
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for posting.

It depends on your individual situation as to whether it’d be beneficial to use the inheritance to clear your husband’s debts. For some it would be the best way to move forward and become debt free to start a fresh. For others it may cause a strain on the relationship. It comes down to you and what’s best for both of you long term.

When a debt is fully repaid it will show on your husbands credit file as full and finally settled which is positive as it shows the full debt has been satisfied in full. This is different to when the debt is partially settled as the credit file will show that the debt is partially settled.

As creditors use a credit file to decide whether to lend and on what terms a partial settlement is likely to have more of an impact.

If your husband partially or fully settled the debt then this would show as a partial/full settlement for six years from the settlement date.

In terms of the quickest and likely most effective way to improve a credit file I’d expect it would be paying the debt off in full. However, the impact may not be significantly different this is becuase a credit file is impacted by many different things and being able to get a mortgage will not only depend on a credit file but you and your partner’s full and financial situation.

To find out what is likely to have the most impact on your credit file you could contact one of the three credit reference agencies, the three credit reference agencies are Call credit (Noddle), Equifax or Experian.

If you and your husband are considering a settlement I’d suggest contacting us and we can discuss this as an option with you further. You can find our contact details here.

Thanks
    Rachael

Maestra wrote: »
    Hi, my husband is a year into a DMP with stepchange. He pays 660 a month. My father passed away last year and has left me a sizable inheritance. I'm reluctant to pay off his debts as they're his own debts however if it's beneficial to do so is he better off making an offer of a reduced amount? I understand that his credit rating will be affected for 6 years from the last payment, is that correct?

We'd like to buy our own home one day, so would like to know the best way to get debt free and back on the straight and narrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure