Mystery Shopping Thread 23 *PLEASE READ THE OP FIRST**PLEASE NO CLIENT NAMES OR FEES

Options

Comments

• jen_br
    jen_br Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Options
    N.I.M wrote: »
    I have a radical thought, should we perhaps make each and every one of RA's clients aware of the apalling treatment, well below minimum wage fees and the likelyhood that data is not being properly gathered as people are unlikely to spend the requisite amount of time in the store and doing the report for a £3 fee?

No. this is highly unprofessional and im sure the clients are aware how much they are paying RA for the service ergo how much the shopper is getting paid.

Complain to the company direct thats the best way forward or don't take the work and therefore they will loose contracts.
  • HeavensDevil
    Options
    And to lighten the mood on the board, I got to hold my daughter for the first time in 2 weeks today :j:j:j:j:j

Anyone got a problem with my going off topic for that ;)

Aww congrats, I've been wondering how she was getting on :) It's an issue close to me, as my cousin's little girl also decided to make an early arrival, on New Year's Eve - she wasn't due until the end of March! Happily she thrived well enough to go home about a fortnight before her due date and is still doing excellently. So fingers crossed for you and your little family too :)
  • lalli_pickle
    Options
    OMG this thread has made me giggle so much. I've missed you guys ;)
  • lalli_pickle
    Options
    And congratulations N.I.M.
  • kst101
    kst101 Posts: 812 Forumite
    Options
    Gfk money in the bank today :)
  • mimi1234
    mimi1234 Posts: 7,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    REACT and co pending for tomorrow
  • supermonkey
    supermonkey Posts: 758 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    While this gets dangerously close to the "Do you declare benefits as profit" argument which I'm too tired to get into tonight, my thought would be if you had to take both people and both had to order a meal then you expense the full amount. If you have to take a second person but the brief specifies you only have to order one main and one drink for example, not that any company would be so MFing stupid as to state that as a brief, then anything beyond that cant be claimed as an expense.
    someone wrote: »
    Rule of thumb would be, was what you are claiming (full or part) "reasonable" for the job/brief.

I would say for a restaurant if you would look out of place not having at least one person there then you can deduct for two meals.

If you must have a starter and main then it is reasonable to deduct for both. You could even "reasonably" justify a drink. You however could not have 6 drinks after the meal and claim them.

Two differing views here.

A lot of restaurant assignments would be weird going alone. Asking some of the questions required & set menu choices would stand out as an individual, but not as a group.

I don't do masses of MS, but if I use the full spend as expenses, over the year I actually make a loss. It would be very difficult to split bills into a job specific (required solely to carry out the task) and a benefit.

Thinking about it, HMRC are generally ok with using an estimated percentage for expenses which are part personally and part business (eg mobile phone bill). So perhaps for those assignments that fall into that catogorie, I could just use 50% of the spend as the expense.
  • jen_br
    jen_br Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Options
    Two differing views here.

A lot of restaurant assignments would be weird going alone. Asking some of the questions required & set menu choices would stand out as an individual, but not as a group.

I don't do masses of MS, but if I use the full spend as expenses, over the year I actually make a loss. It would be very difficult to split bills into a job specific (required solely to carry out the task) and a benefit.

Thinking about it, HMRC are generally ok with using an estimated percentage for expenses which are part personally and part business (eg mobile phone bill). So perhaps for those assignments that fall into that catogorie, I could just use 50% of the spend as the expense.

Heres the flipside millions go into restaurants alone and I have never come across an MS assignment for a restaurant that would be awkward to go in alone. I often take some as Im away from home doing msing and need a meal. Lots of business people eat alone daily its not that weird.

and if your constantly making a loss one could argue why you do it.
  • supermonkey
    supermonkey Posts: 758 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I dont mean constantly making a loss.

Quite a few assignments I do make a profit. However if there are any local restaurants I will take them even if the fee is low. So you end up with £15 fee, £20 spend etc.

I think I will apportion part of the spend as personal & part as business. Anyone else do this?
  • Workie_Ticket
    Options
    DPJames wrote: »
    ;) What there are of them. I've always found it slim pickings in Durham.

There's a GR holiday job in Durham which has been sat around for 30 minutes now. I haven't seen a GR job sit around that long before.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure