Anyone done any clinical trials?

Options

Comments

• chrisuren
    Options
    I'd recommend doing these, the regulations are almost watertight now so the chances of you getting seriouslyill are slim,
  • chrisuren
    chrisuren Posts: 109 Forumite
    edited 13 November 2013 at 11:21PM
    Options
    Double reply sorry
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why would Microsoft pay for people to trial an Xbox One next year, 6 weeks after it has already come out?

Also, when reporting spam it is generally better not to quote it in your posts, so that once the comment is removed it doesn't 'live on' for other people to get sucked into the spam websites :)
  • gb12345
    gb12345 Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Options
    Spam by captainphillips reported.
  • mattyoung1990
    Options
    I did one a couple of years back also when I was a student with a group of mates (the things we'll do for money.)

The one we did was pretty small, had to make 6 visits to the hospital over 1 year and got paid £30 a visit. We had 3 injections and 6 mouth swabs over the year so was a pretty easy job, particularly as the hospital was right next to the uni!

I don't think I'd do any of the really financially rewarding ones due to the risk of things going wrong, albeit very low. That's just down to personal preference I guess. I would happily do some more lower risk studies though!
  • lordsalisbury
    Options
    I did this when I was in Melbourne, and it really is the easiest money I ever made, I think it was 800 dollars for a couple of injections and staying on a ward for 3 days, just eating, reading and watching TV. Then a couple of follow ups where they take blood samples, and that was it.
  • c.ford
    c.ford Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Clinical trials? Jees you gotta be brave! Best of luck with that. I've done the food trial thing before, but only ever made a tenner max for a one hour session.
  • Zooca
    Zooca Posts: 205 Forumite
    edited 14 March 2014 at 12:50PM
    Options
    I haven't actually participated in a clinical trial but have strongly considered it, enough to have been through screening, visited facilities and talk to people who run them - for anyone looking into it, I'd recommend looking at Flucamp and Quintiles

I'd also like to add: I don't think the high payments being in relation to risk are really true. Certainly not in the majority. Pretty much all the high paying ones i've seen have been because of the length of the trial *Particularly* when it involves a high amount of days staying overnight in a facility.
  • Prothet_of_Doom
    Options
    chrisuren wrote: »
    I'd recommend doing these, the regulations are almost watertight now so the chances of you getting seriouslyill are slim,

Less risky than smoking or putting your head in a vice, or being a 25 stone lard !!!! definately.

My son is nearing the end of an MChem Degree, and reckons whilst he's probably going to need to use the services of human guinea pigs, in his future career, he wouldn't want to do it himself. Which seems hypocritical, but sensible (especially as I would rather he didn't)
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven't done any clinical trials, but did a load of non clinical trials trials when I worked at a Uni.
    There was always multiple studies going on, it never paid as well as clinical trials but was fun and easy, the two that stand out was the snack trial which involved visiting an office standing on the scales and then given a bin bag full of chocolate, crisps and snacks, and rinse and repeat for 6 weeks. The other was a driving sim, where you sat in a real car which was rigged up to a driving sim. My role was to drive the car for 20mins, then drink vodka and drive again for 20mins, more vodka and more driving that paid £100.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure