Loan for part-time worker/Single parent

Mork90
Mork90 Posts: 6 Forumite
Hi there, I'm making this thread on behalf of someone else who can't access the net.

Basically, she is in a real tight situation at the moment. She currently is living in a cottage with her ex-partner (Father of the child), they no longer are together so they have decided to part their ways, and their move out date is approximately a week. But the problem is, is that she's going to move out, but she doesn't have any money at all to pay the deposit for the rental, as the majority of places will want a months rent in advance etc. So we did manage to find her a real nice place for her and her child to live in, but he wanted £1500 deposit, so we looked at getting her a loan of this amount, over about 4 years which works out as around £60 a month average, which she can afford easily, but loan companies will refuse her based on the fact she works part-time. I even tried getting one for her, as I knew she could afford it (Her credit history is excellent) as also she would be receiving quite a bit of benefits, but alas, I only work part time too.

She cannot move back home, as due to unfortunate circumstances, she has no family to speak of. She will be put into emergency housing if she cannot find a home for her or her child, which obviously neither of us want, as we want a nice home for her and her child.

So please, if anyone has any advice, on where to get loans for part-time workers, or anything else, reply.

Thanks.

Comments

• telboyo
    telboyo Posts: 410
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 25 January 2011 at 12:44PM
    Google "rental deposit loan xxxxxx council" replace the "xxxxx" with your local council and they will help her out.
  • JasX
    JasX Posts: 3,996
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Options:
    1-stay put, save up
    2-move to emergency housing, save up
    1b- as per 1 but kicking the single father out of the house but keeping him paying all the bills for it, I understand the law in this area is very unreasonably biased in a womans favour, especially where children are available that can be waved at a judge
  • telboyo wrote: »
    Google "rental deposit loan xxxxxx council" replace the "xxxxx" with your local council and they will help her out.

She's read the local page earlier, and is off to see the council later this day.

JasX wrote: »
    Options:
    1-stay put, save up
    2-move to emergency housing, save up
    1b- as per 1 but kicking the single father out of the house but keeping him paying all the bills for it, I understand the law in this area is very unreasonably biased in a womans favour, especially where children are available that can be waved at a judge

Obviously these are options, but also aswell I forgot to mention that she no longer has childcare any more, so has to fit her work hours around her child. So it would be incredibly hard for her to save up. And 1b, no way, she's not one of those women to do that. She doesn't want any legal battles or any more stress on her case. Thanks :)
  • Hax
    Hax Posts: 890 Forumite
    Mork90 wrote: »
    she no longer has childcare any more, so has to fit her work hours around her child. So it would be incredibly hard for her to save up.

If it's going to be that hard for her to save up, why do you think that she'd be able to afford both the loan repayment and the rent of £750/month (I'm assuming it's this much as you said she needed £1500 for deposit and first month's rent)?
    My posts are my own opinions based on my experiences and info gathered from sites such as this.
    They are not a substitute for professional financial advice - but you knew that already didn't you? ;)
    VSP 2011 - Member #25 - Started 6th December 2010 - Total As Of 4th May 2011 (21 weeks in!) - £323.67/£500 - So far so good!
  • Mork90
    Mork90 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hax wrote: »
    If it's going to be that hard for her to save up, why do you think that she'd be able to afford both the loan repayment and the rent of £750/month (I'm assuming it's this much as you said she needed £1500 for deposit and first month's rent)?

The rental is £600p/m, and she'll be getting approx £525 to pay towards that through benefits, plus she gets around £500-£600 a month through part-time work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure