PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What does the estate agent have to tell you?

Comments

• dares_uk
    dares_uk Posts: 65 Forumite
    On a similar note,

We specifically asked the estate agent at the beginning before putting in an offer if there was any restrictive covenants, they answered 'No' , we pushed them more to check, apparently the vendor had written 'none' on the information form, and then we got the EA to phone the vendor to double check, and they came back saying 'cant build on the side of the house, due to drains'
    So we put an offer in, eventually had an offer accepted and progressed with the purchase.

As soon as our solicitors got the particulars we had them check about the covenants, and subsequently found what we didn't want. We went along the route of getting a 'letter of permission' from the beneficiary.

Later on the vendor pulled out for unknown reasons after 11 weeks.

We have subsequently complained to the EA about this issue, and another about piece of the land not being included in the sale that was advertised.

The EA have washed their hands and basically said they done adequate checks.

I will now be forwarding my complain to the property ombudsman.

Moral of the story, 'Don't believe Estate Agents.'
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Blonde94 wrote: »
    I was wondering what information the Estate Agent needs to disclose when you are viewing a property?

I am currently in the process of buying our first flat, we have got all the mortgage approved, survey and searches back and a couple of changes to the lease done. we were reading our solicitors report with the view to exchange in a couple of days and complete a few weeks after when it popped up that the property was grade 2 listed.

My partner and I would never have even viewed the property let alone put an offer in or get so close to buying the flat had we known it was a listed building.

If the sale now does not go though because it's listed is there anyway of getting legal fees back from the estate agent?

Nothing at all. That's not their job.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    dares_uk wrote: »
    On a similar note,

We specifically asked the estate agent at the beginning before putting in an offer if there was any restrictive covenants, they answered 'No' , we pushed them more to check, apparently the vendor had written 'none' on the information form, and then we got the EA to phone the vendor to double check, and they came back saying 'cant build on the side of the house, due to drains'
    So we put an offer in, eventually had an offer accepted and progressed with the purchase.

To a certain degree EAs have to rely upon the information given to them by the vendor. It appears in this instance the EA had asked the vendor whether there were any restrictive covenants, and the vendor had replied in writing that there were none.

It is of course possible to obtain a copy of the title for a property you may be interested in from the Land Registry website, and this will tell you whether any covenants exist.

Moral of the story: "Don't always expect the vendor's estate agent to do your solicitors job for them."
  • dares_uk
    dares_uk Posts: 65 Forumite
    Although saying that its down to solicitors to check is correct but the estate agent also
    has the responsibility to provide you with the correct information/answers so you are able to make an informed decision (consumer rights and mis-descriptions act)
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Although saying that its down to solicitors to check is correct but the estate agent also
    has the responsibility to provide you with the correct information/answers so you are able to make an informed decision (consumer rights and mis-descriptions act)

You aren't buying from an estate agent, so I'm not sure the consumer rights would apply. - happy to be corrected.

Mis-descriptions are only as true as the estate agents knows, if they don't know they can be on the wrong side
  • ssparks2003
    ssparks2003 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Before you decide to proceed with the sale please make sure that you are aware of what owning a grade 2 property will mean and the additional costs and time delays that you will incur should you wish to change anything.
  • Surrey_EA

As I said above, to a certain degree the estate agent has to rely on the information provided to them by their client, the vendor of the property being sold.

It seems that in line with advice from the National Association of Estate Agents to help comply with the Consumer protection Regulations (The Property Misdescriptions Act was repealed in 2013, and no longer applies), the estate agents asked the vendor to complete a form to provide information about the property, and one of the question seems to be whether any covenants affect the property, and the vendor had declared that there were none.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Sorry I don't actually get what the issue with buying a grade 2 listed flat.

Unless I'm wrong Grade 2 listed refers to external only as a flat owner generally you won't be changing the external make up of the building.

Yes the costs of repairs may be higher but that is what a sink fund is for and this should be in place as part of your service charge.
  • Surrey_EA
    aneary wrote: »
    Unless I'm wrong Grade 2 listed refers to external only as a flat owner generally you won't be changing the external make up of the building.

If I recall correctly Grade II listing applies to any alterations that materially affect the character of the building, be they internal or external.

For example if I wanted to take a wall out in a property I would normally only need to obtain building regulations approval to confirm the work had been carried out correctly, and the freeholders permission in the even of it being a leasehold property. However, in a listed property I would also need to obtain listed building consent.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Surrey_EA wrote: »
    If I recall correctly Grade II listing applies to any alterations that materially affect the character of the building, be they internal or external.

For example if I wanted to take a wall out in a property I would normally only need to obtain building regulations approval to confirm the work had been carried out correctly, and the freeholders permission in the even of it being a leasehold property. However, in a listed property I would also need to obtain listed building consent.

Again this is a flat, unless there is stud walling you aren't likely to be taking walls down?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure