When applying for a job in a different sector - are "transferable skills" a myth?

Options
2»

Comments

• lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP I'm in a similar position to you, looking for a potential career change. I currently work in the public sector and there's a strong chance we're moving towards privatisation in the coming years. Part of the service has already been privatised and it's been an unmitigated disaster, so I'm very concerned and trying to look for alternatives with transferable skills. Unfortunately without investing in more qualifications and also being prepared to take a pay cut, it seems there aren't many options out there full stop, which is a shame. I understand it from an employer's perspective, I suppose it's much more risky than someone with industry experience. When you're applying, are you ensuring you demonstrate how you meet each criteria on the advert? An old manager once told me to ensure I can demonstrate that I can do that, and it's never failed to get me an interview since then (within the public sector anyway).
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £1,805 as of 04/24
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 May 2017 at 2:07PM
    Options
    I'm feeling at a loss right now. Keep getting turned down for jobs even though I don't think I'm being too ambitious in what I'm applying for. Just spoke to another recruiter who told me 'not to waste my time' applying for team leader / manager call centre jobs because I will always be overlooked in favour of someone who is already in that role. I've been out of that sector for 3 years - apparently that's not recent enough. There isn't much that comes up in my current sector and I'm not sure I want to stay in it anyway. The recruiter suggested going back to answering phones and working my way up..... I thought my current skills would be quite useful but apparently not.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Someone recently told me he was told outright by recruiters he wouldn't get the job he applied for even though he had done well in the assessments because the organisation was actively recruiting ethnic minorities and lgbt candidates.

This is why if I am ever asked my sexuality on a job application form I'd say "bisexual". Just because I've only ever been in monogamous relationships with women doesn't mean I'd never countenance having sex with a man. At least, you can't prove that I wouldn't.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    This is why if I am ever asked my sexuality on a job application form I'd say "bisexual". Just because I've only ever been in monogamous relationships with women doesn't mean I'd never countenance having sex with a man. At least, you can't prove that I wouldn't.

I completed a diversity questionnaire the other day that had categories I'd never even heard of. I thought I was fairly up to date but apparently not!

I feel down after being told to forget anything listed on my cv I'm not currently doing. 2 more rejections this afternoon as well. The recruiter advised to get a call centre job and work my way up again. I don't want to drop salary maybe 7-9 thousand and do something I don't want to do with no guarantee of promotion. Seems silly but maybe I'm not as qualified / experienced as I thought.
  • mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    Options
    I had a gazillion almost identical transferrable skills once, and even lived just round the corner, but it was a local authority little place and they chickened out and hired somebody from 250 miles away who had "done the exact same job" before.

It wasn't a difficult job ....

I went for another job once and didn't get it - I reapplied a year later and it was a "group hiring explanation session" and I spoke to They even called me to "apologise" and explained that they wanted to take me, but chose the other person, even though they thought I'd be better (had more/wider experience) ... but this other person had "done the exact same job where they were planning on moving from" and within their structure they felt they should be hiring the other person rather than choosing who they actually thought would do the better job because "it looked better on paper" should it ever be questioned.
    the bloke who hadn't hired me the year before and he remembered me and said "Sorry about that - I had a disability quota I had to meet; it was a complete disaster. I told them to mark your file to contact the minute we had another vacancy" It appeared that his message to mark my file hadn't been done ... he told me who to phone and what to say and they dug my previous file out - and I was instantly hired. That was a county college.

Too many hidden agendas and quotas and people not doing their job properly ....

People don't get the job because they're "the best person for the job". That's the myth! :)

What kind of mealy-mouthed !!!!!!!! is that? They sound gutless.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure