PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,078 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Took advantage of a SO deal on breaded haddock and also got an unusual sub with my shopping today. I had ordered 100g of cooked pork from the deli which was unavailable and subbed with 1000g of packaged cooked sliced pork loin ( 10 packets!). It has a decent use by of the end of May so currently in the fridge.
    In to freezer/cupboard: 8 breaded haddock portions. a cottage pie, a lasagne, a bag of oven chips and 2 packets of coffee.
    Out: piece of baguette
    Used up: 2 very small, very ripe bananas

I have a fair bit in the fridge that needs portioned, vac packed and frozen but that is waiting for another day.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Day 6 and no spends yet. I ran out of mayonnaise so had a go at making some. It's many years since I made it, it was quite easy, very wobbly and moreish but definitely not low calorie.

OUT freezer - 2 slices bread, pk blueberries,
    fridge - last of the french beans, I'll have to use frozen from now on. cabbage, last of the mangetout and sugarsnap peas, cooked venison and yogurt and a bit of cream
    cupboards - groundnut oil, eggs, mustard, jelly, olive oil, pk of chocolate biscuits.

IN 1 portion of cooked venison which I can use at some stage to make a small pie.

I'm finding that I'm thinking and planning ahead so that things get used in a more productive way and I don't just grab something quickly from the fridge. For example, I've some bacon - do I use it at lunchtime tomorrow and make a quick bacon sandwich or do I use it to wrap around some chicken for dinner and use frozen soup for lunch. I love bacon sandwiches but commonsense says soup.
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Still plugging away at this, and have successfully emptied and defrosted my chest freezer. Although it still needs collecting, so is in the way a bit.
    I now only have two freezers of food, which are both in the kitchen (one integrated and one freestanding) . My aim is to have fruit and veg and basics for two weeks worth of meals (one if doable)in both, so still a work in progress.
    I have used too much up to list individually (plus it gets boring to read al the time i am sure).
    I now have desktop pc in my room again which i am typing from now, aswell as other gadgets; so by rights i should be able to keep up.
    Minimal order from Ocado coming tomorrow as needed vegan cleaning wipes (for stuff like granddaughters toys and cat's microchip bowls, which is all i use them for ... doesn't work as well with spray and cloth. Half price, so have bought four packets to stock up). Should come to a few pence over £40.00 minimum spend.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I haven't posted a lot in April but I am still on it. I seem a little more self-aware - aware that I still buy things in too much bulk. Take toothpaste for instance. I bought two more tubes this week and the storage I use for toothpaste is already full. By portioning things up as soon as I buy them (like minced beef) I am cooking more frugally, losing weight and keeping the capacity of my in-kitchen freezer a bit more under control!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    We've invited some friends round for a BBQ this afternoon and instead of popping out to the shops for baps hubby had put the breadmaker on to make the dough so we can make our own. We have plenty of sausages and burgers in the freezer and I even have the ingredients to make some coleslaw in the fridge so no need for buying anything new. Hooray!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,078 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Only a pork chop out today and nothing in
  • Maisie_M
    Maisie_M Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    salmon out of the freezer for todays tea then I have taken out a soup for DH lunch tomorrow, Prawns to have with my salad for lunch tomorrow and then Goulash for tomorrow night's dinner.

Will also use up the half the sour cream in the fridge tomorrow with the Goulash. May do Fajitas for Tuesday's dinner to use up the rest and that will be that gone too.
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I've brought in some soup from the freezer today for my lunch (possibly parsnip and apple) and a leftover bread roll from yesterday's BBQ.

I am going to have to go to the shops today as I need more fruit and have run out of bread flour. I can keep using up stores for everything else though so need for further spends.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Ginmonster wrote: »
    I've brought in some soup from the freezer today for my lunch (possibly parsnip and apple) and a leftover bread roll from yesterday's BBQ. .

I was amused by the "possibly parsnip and apple" soup comment and the inference to the lack of a label. It reminded me of a disaster once when I tipped an unlabelled bag of what I thought was chicken stock into a pan of minesteone soup I was making. It turned out to be gooseberry purree! :eek:
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Primrose wrote: »
    It reminded me of a disaster once when I tipped an unlabelled bag of what I thought was chicken stock into a pan of minesteone soup I was making. It turned out to be gooseberry purree! :eek:

Primrose your comment really did make me smile as I once added the same to a stew, yuck.

I finally had to go shopping for milk for the week and salad items. Total spend 9.92p so just within budget - phew. However, I'm really pleased I started on this mini challenge as it has made me focus on what is here as well as saving money. I ran out of mayonnaise the other day so made some and it was very tasty, I'll certainly make that again.

OUT Huge bag of tomatoes, now defrosted and to be turned into soup. sausagemeat from YS last Christmas, made into burgers with apple, onion and carrot.

IN - nothing but I expect some of the soup will have to be frozen.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback