PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Left over ready made custard, any ideas?

13»

Comments

• MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10500/rhubarb-and-custard-cake

I made this a coue of weeks ago and it was fab. It took a LOT longer the recipe indicated to bake though, and i used more rhubarb. It was utterly delicious.

I've made it both with rhubarb and peaches and both times it's been fabulous!

Good luck with your HM ice cream! I should see if that works with dairy custard cream; would be much cheaper than the main brand of DF ice cream on the market!
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    So - how was it?
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • pink_princess
    pink_princess Posts: 13,581 Forumite
    Sorry, forgot to update. :o

It was not good, just a solid frozen lump of custard. It is in the bin now lol
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
  • Oh well, live and learn lol.
    If it happens again try making 'custard jelly pots'. Mix the custard with some geletine from the shop (instructuions will be on the box on amounts be volume) throw in a few blue berries or small chunks of fruit you have about, spoon into ramkins or small pots and ta da! custard jelly with fruity bits :)
    From what I recal it freezes well, so it can be stored until you have some geletine about.
    I usually halve the fluid they recommend with the geletine as I like good stiff jelly :whistle:
    ~"I don't cook so much since we moved out of reality...."~
  • Waffle_On
    Waffle_On Posts: 408
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I think I saw an advert for Mr S a few years a go, with good ole Jamie slicing croissants and pouring ready made custard over, then baking to make a calorific sort of bread and butter pudding. Might be worth remembering for next time!
    Shrinking my mortgage!
    Nov 13 £166,000

Jan 17 £142,900
  • Jenny007
    Jenny007 Posts: 70 Forumite
    It was actually Hotcross buns and possibly marmalade or some other sort of jam...looked amazing!!
    Funny how things involving food seem to stick in my memory...!
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Shame, it works for me - has to be regularly stirred to break up the ice crystals though.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'd been wondering whether this would be viable, as I always get leftover custard. DH loves it, but I can take it or leave it. However, we both love ice cream. I think I'll give it a go tomorrow and see what happens. Is this with ready-made custard from a carton/tin or from a sachet made up using milk or water?

Thanks in advance,

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • pink_princess
    Raksha wrote: »
    Shame, it works for me - has to be regularly stirred to break up the ice crystals though.
    That could well of been the problem, I was going out that is why I didn't have time to turn it in to a baked custard etc. So it only got stirred around for the first hour.
  • pink_princess
    I'd been wondering whether this would be viable, as I always get leftover custard. DH loves it, but I can take it or leave it. However, we both love ice cream. I think I'll give it a go tomorrow and see what happens. Is this with ready-made custard from a carton/tin or from a sachet made up using milk or water?

Thanks in advance,

KB xx
    Mine was the carton type.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business