Help - VW dealer wants to charge me £400+ for Cam Belt

My local VW dealer sent me a card in the post today to remind me that the cam belt on my January 2004 reg VW Passat Tdi will need replacing soon. What they did not tell me and I only found out by calling them was that it was going to cost me over £400 to have it replaced! As an aside and possibly in consolation they told me that it was unfortunate for me as Passats are expensive for cam belts replacements. This has got me thinking, I live near the channel ports and can get a cheap day return and take it to the VW dealer in Calais. Has anyone had any experience of doing this and, what is cam belt in French?

Comments

• b33r
    b33r Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Why not get it done by someone who isn't VW? My housemate just had his 04 passat done for just over 300. It's a pretty big job for most cars, the front of the car has to come off.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ceinture de came
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • highguyuk
    highguyuk Posts: 2,763 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've just bought a Seat Leon (VW) and as part of the negotiations made them put a new cam belt on (51600 miles on the clock).

Garage told me in general convo that it took them 3.5 hours to change it!

Cambelts are an expensive job, but your right - £400 is a bit excessive.
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    I have a very MSE car, an Audi S4

Cambelt change inc water pump and idlers with UK dealer £1000+

Cambelt change inc etc plus service with German dealer under 1000 euros

Got to be worth a phone call to the French dealer
  • pianeet
    pianeet Posts: 518 Forumite
    My local VW dealer sent me a card in the post today to remind me that the cam belt on my January 2004 reg VW Passat Tdi will need replacing soon. What they did not tell me and I only found out by calling them was that it was going to cost me over £400 to have it replaced! As an aside and possibly in consolation they told me that it was unfortunate for me as Passats are expensive for cam belts replacements. This has got me thinking, I live near the channel ports and can get a cheap day return and take it to the VW dealer in Calais. Has anyone had any experience of doing this and, what is cam belt in French?
    i would echo vaio and have the water pump replaced at the same time as if it goes they have to remove everthing again to get to it,if it is £400 pound all in thats not a bad price probably be about £300 at local garage because of the labour involved
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • peterbaker
    peterbaker Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    See if you can get them to throw in a full service while they have it apart. They'll say no but there are still a few out there who will negotiate a bit. At a VAG dealer after you agree the deal you will still get free collection and delivery or a courtesy car I think. Plus if you have a continuous record of dealer servicing, you won't have spoiled that. A history with one dealer can sometimes be a good insurance if something unexpected goes wrong and you can get them to accept part of the blame.

I have an A6 tdi which is no doubt very similar to work on. I don't believe they take the front off the car, but even if they did, it'll be designed for it with just a few bolts and procedures to follow. Water pump has been mentioned. Do check for any oil leaks behind the bottom pulley especially before you agree the deal for this. Now is the cheapest time to replace oil seals down there if you have the slightest sign of any existing leak.
  • onejontwo
    onejontwo Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I don't believe they take the front off the car

I'm afraid they do !
    The front bumper, headlamps, radiator air-con condensor,and ancilliaries all have to be removed to gain access to the cam belt.:p
  • peterbaker
    peterbaker Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    onejontwo wrote: »
    I don't believe they take the front off the car

I'm afraid they do !
    The front bumper, headlamps, radiator air-con condensor,and ancilliaries all have to be removed to gain access to the cam belt.:p
    Oh well, I suppose they'll even defend their reasoning for all that palava, also?

Limited life cam belts is the biggest moneyspinner for dealers since the designed in rust of the 1970s :p
  • Happychappy
    Happychappy Posts: 2,936 Forumite
    Vic

I was looking for a VAG dealer to change the cambet on my Audi A4, have a look on Ebay, there is an authorised VW Audi dealer doing your car for £249 ?
    Must be worth a journey, depends where you lve or ask your own dealer why they can do it cheaper

VW Audi link

Best of luck and happy crimble, Crimble being OK to say as I would hate to upset the majority of the country :rolleyes: , and don't feel that Seasons Greetings is the same. But that's another rant
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In the words of the :ABlessed Noddy of Holder::A

Its Christmas!
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure