Starting over 2017

Comments

• Dorastar
    Dorastar Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 October 2017 at 5:54PM
    We have been making small overpayments to try to get it back to a LTV that means we can then change it to a repayment or at least alter the terms of it, but can't do that unless I have a wage coming in. It was nearly at 90% last time I checked over the summer. We bought in 2007 when houses were stupidly expensive and interest only was what we could afford at the time, and the market hasn't recovered at all up here so had a huge negative equity. Hubby lost his job 6 months after we moved in and was unemployed for 18 months so that messed up our plans to change to a repayment after a few years as we stupidly racked up debts which we are only now dealing with properly - hindsight is a wonderful thing, we were badly advised, overspent and haven't looked forward enough. Just going to have to slog at it and throw every penny at it as soon as we can.

Edited to add: retirement won't be happening, and definitely not early for either of us!
    Mortgage £128,626 going down slowly
  • Dorastar
    edited 20 October 2017 at 6:01PM
    Lunch out with hubby, yes I know it's not very frugal but it's not very often we get the chance to be together in daylight hours! And we did nothing for our anniversary in June so we pretended today was it, even got to hold hands which isn't allowed when the kids are around as they moan and make vomitty noises. Apart from that just done a few surveys and chased up to see if mortgage cover will pay out something for me having been off sick, lady I spoke to seemed quite positive but got a pile of forms to send off first. A few more jobs have come up so applying for them over the weekend.
    Tried to get mortgage details up online but the system wasn't letting me log-in, another thing to tackle.
    Bit of bad news is that the car is yet again losing power so going back to the garage on Tuesday, think they've missed whatever the problem is, have already been googling and it seems a common problem. It might be a turbo pipe which sits just behind where I pranged it earlier this year and if it splits the car gets no turbo boost - at the moment it isn't getting any boost at all, old ladies were passing me this morning on their mobility scooters! But no car probably means a cheap weekend too as we won't be hitting the shops anytime soon.
  • Dorastar
    Went running this morning then just minimal spend on milk to keep me topped up with brews. Been crafting on and off in between housework, wondering if I might get enough done to run a stall somewhere before Christmas? Not much else to report apart from a few surveys done
  • Dorastar
    Spent morning trying to get in top of housework and household papers. Having a cheap half term week so trying to get one folder of stuff gone through each day, shredding all the unnecessary stuff. Got some job hunting stuff to get sorted too so that's most mornings planned for while the kids take it easy. Hubby is doing overtime today and gets paid on Thursday so that should help with the bills.
  • Dorastar
    Lol just been given an 8 year badge for loitering on here that long, now embarrassed that I appear to have made zero progress in that time! Gone from employed full time with debts and an interest only mortgage to unemployed with debts and an interest only mortgage! Impressive stuff.
  • Dorastar
    Car fixed, no cost as it was the third time it had been in to try and get the problem fixed. Extra money sent over to mortgage account to try and get it back into equity, we are only a couple of hundred short. Then job interviews this week will hopefully mean a regular income and we can resort the mortgage longer term. Have spent hardly anything even though it's been half term as the kids have both been feeling poorly and not in the mood for spending or going anywhere. Going to review finances this evening to see how we're doing and plan ahead for the next few weeks/months to see if we can bust the debts a bit more. Still plodding on with surveys etc but they seem a bit slow, or I do, not sure which to be honest!
  • Dorastar
    Plodding onwards, job applications and an unfruitful interview so back to it on Monday. Free bonfire and fireworks tonight then I need to seriously start tackling the house, myself and finances again as they've all slipped while I've been focusing on the job front.

Plan is:

Friday night bonfire, read and relax

Saturday Parkrun, laundry & floordrobes, sort out evil fridge of doom and menu plan/food shop, Strictly

Sunday church, sort out finances and budget up till end of year, work out if we can pay anything else off a bit, knitting or sewing.

Monday - get a job :rotfl:
  • I read Saturday Parkrun as 'Parkin', and was thinking yum, haven't had that in years.

Everything crossed that the right job turns up soon.
  • Dorastar
    Managed the reading & relaxing last night but failed to wake up in time for the run. Fridge, food shop for £43 for the week and menu plan all done and have started on the laundry and floordrobe. Still got a way to go, no idea how we've got so many clothes between the four of us!

Finances to sort tomorrow
  • Dorastar
    Clothes sorted, sent some wool scraps off to a friend for her daughter who is pompom mad and needs more wool. Sitting down to do money plan tonight, and picked up another bit of work next week, so that's three sessions in three weeks, all adds up
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure